Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Keihin PWK D slide or Micuni BS32 CV would be my carbs of choice.
  2. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or a pumper for a little extra oomph :evil
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Hima carb is functionally identicle to a Mikuni, and I have had both stripped side by side on the bench.
    Only difference is float arrangement, and the Hima manual actually gives the instructions for setting Mikuni floats, so the instructions must be a straight crib of the Mik manual.
    CV carbs have a " pumper " system.
    It is the spring above the piston, which slows down the piston movement relative to the butterfly which increases the velocity of the air above the needle jet which lifts more fuel , which richens the mixture.
    SU carbs have a choice of eight springs to let you fine tune things, or swap for summer and winter driving.
    Never found a list if Mik springs. or details of the difference in the needles in the CV carbs.
    Doctor T, mr.kj and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    The UCAL 29mm CV carb that came standard on the pre unit Lean Burn bikes was a Micuni made in India under liscense. I've heard that the same carb was standard on BS3 India Domestic Market Himalayans and carbureted export models. Very good carbs ime and very responsive to tuning tweaks.
  5. slownold

slownold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I appreciate the electric leg, because I'm old, fat and lazy, I did have an SR500 and I can assure you there is a lot or satisfaction from kick starting something... until it's been left for a while and got sulky, or if you stall at the lights, or...
    Doctor T, bomber60015 and Dool like this.
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    That seems considerably more complicated than the process for starting my FI Himalayan:
    1. Turn on key.
    2. Push starter button.
    3. Put bike in gear and ride.
  7. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That seems like a good price. I recently turned down $6200 OTD, Dealer acted offended. :hmmmmm
  8. RCruiser

RCruiser Jus' Watchin'

Oddometer:
    Do these have an integrated TPS on them? I think that this would be requisite...
    Bob
    Dool likes this.
  9. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Oz model has a UCAL UCD 33-D1 BY20 carb, which actually measures 32mm at the motor end.
    Some claim it came straight off a Bullet, with no changes whatsoever, but who knows.
    Just a reminder to any who might be considering the carb conversion to remove the float bowl and familiarize yourself with the factory float position as the manual setting is for a Mikuni, which is very different.
    Might be wise to mark the factory setting for the TPS too as the carbed bike manual gives no information.
    Then measure it and let us all know what it is!
    Jets do little on a CV carb which runs on the needle 95% of the time, unless the main is to small for the flow in transition and softens the mid range response, not the top end as you might expect.
    Pilot jet only comes into play as the throttle butterfly passes above the outlet, just as you open the throttle, so if you have a clean pick up from idle it is usually OK
    CV carbs are to an extent self regulating, so if it runs cleanly across the rev range with no hickups or flat spots then minor changes are unlikely to make a noticable difference , despite what the guys who sell a couple of jets as a power kit might claim.
    On my Oz bike the carb is as close as you will get, clean and responsive all the way through, so if things are not as you might expect I would look elsewhere before messing around with the stock settings.
  10. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It certainly is, unless you change the ignition module at the same time---!
    Dool likes this.
  11. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get Forma Terra Evo boots, I am very happy with mine and they have a hinge in the ankle to protect the ankle.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/stre...ro_off_road_boots/forma/terra_evo_x_boot.html
    Doctor T and CaptainTrips like this.
  12. ToasTje

ToasTje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Europe it's 5500€ OTD which translate in about 6500$.
    I just bought mine, a 21 demo for just under 5000€, including pannier racks
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    +1 !!!
  14. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done. Good price. Enjoy.
  15. AlbySA

AlbySA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes they are a very good boot , it's a pity they took that long to come out. My current boots are the Sidi Adventure which are still pretty good, however if I was in the market for a new pair I think these would almost be at the top of the list.
  16. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Not fear, mine is not like that!!!
    Doctor T likes this.
  17. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I t should be running as good as mine is/was, the Fancy Battery just dropped to 1.8v and it died outside a shop id stopped at to Buy Punjabi Samosa's.
    Which were Delicious.
  18. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    lk7XKIQIQz+QgAcir8tj+Q.jpg So completed part of the COBDR from Beaune Vista to Wyoming border, 2 Himalayans 2 DR350'S, and one DR650. Bikes were fully loaded with camping gear as motels were not on the agender. Both Himalayans have Hitchcock's cams installed.
    Lots of steep climbing as CO dictates and of course Hagerman Pass. The Himalayans did well but it became very apparent that it is too big of a gap between 1st and 2nd gear and on some of the steeper places you had to potter along in first with revs pretty high because they wouldn't pull 2nd gear which the DR350'S could with ease.
    The happy place on the flatter parts was 55-60mph saw 74 twice but if any hill was around it called for shifting gears rapidly.
    All in all pretty pleased with the way they went but it did start me thinking about a big bore kit!
    The cam is a huge step and might be more than enough for most but I guess I'm one of those power-hungry young 65-year-olds with more money than sense. Oh don't tell me to get another bike, I have 7 from Sherco 510 and 300 to a 1000 GS and 75 Norton MK3 that I also take off-road from time to time.
    The Himalayans suspension handle things really well apart from bottoming the front end a couple of times which I have since rectified by cleaning out the forks and going to 15w oil, there was some nasty looking crap that came out of them so I washed out with carb cleaner before refilling, front feels great now.
    She is now just on 9000 miles and starts and runs wonderfull.
  19. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that. It is very interesting. :-)
  20. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip. Was the picture of the deer taken in the morning or afternoon? Looks pretty tame. There is something about camping with nature. A BB kit is the way to go. (Some will say get another bike! but like you ,it is up to u to make bike the way you want it .) Sam is also looking at a 6 speed box for the Himma. Between the two it may be the answer. :clap
    little ackman and shearboy2004 like this.