Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cheers Mate , The deer wandered in in the evening and hung out for an hour or so.
    6 speed would be nice but a slightly lower 2nd gear would also cure the problem, spacings between all other gears are just fine to me .
    bomber60015 likes this.
  2. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not good about the the battery, the food sounds good though.
  3. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    That is something you will never forget. Other option alter the gearing a little to bring second down a bit. Would make the bike rev a bit higher on the open road though. BB kit changes the bike. Between the cam and BB kit you will have lots of options. Enjoy
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  4. slownold

slownold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new video featuring my Himalayan. We're in lockdown here and that means no riding, which means I can't record new footage, so this is from a ride I did last December - the sharp eyed might notice the lack of fairing and the sharp eared might notice she's still got the stock muffler.

Those considering fairings and wind noise, you might notice how little noise there is without the screen.

5. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    Gearing I have changed to where I think it should be by just using a 40 tooth rear sprocket, with OEM gearing 5th gear wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding!
    Beemerboff and Dool like this.
  6. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Yes I agree, the BB kit will change that. With only 530km on the kit so far the bike will pull hills in top gear ( standard gearing) at 100kph easy. Before struggled in 5th so used 4th. Has transformed the bike. Will take approx 15 minutes off 142km trip. Most of which is long climbs. Still only traveling at around 100 to 105 kph. Not a lot of flat running may be 30km at the most. Go from sea level to around 1600 feet. A great ride have traveled this road for 47 years on bikes and in vehicles takes me to my fav holiday spot. From there lots of good back roads, and secondary black tops which enable a lot of loop rides. Not a lot of traffic since covid stopped the amount of overs seas tourists. Roads much safer now.
    shearboy2004, little ackman and Dool like this.
  7. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes Hobbyists have shown the world a few things, one should not discount them:clap e.g.
    slownold and Dool like this.
  8. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carb Himmas like mine starts easy as the choke really works. Even when the battery does not have enough oomph to turn the engine over, only 10 minutes on the charger was enough. And what a great chilly ride in the snowy Southern Alps today.:-)
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  9. gusthedog

gusthedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is exactly the same. Love the FI. Particularly the better fuel economy too.
    whysub, Doctor T and little ackman like this.
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dropped a tooth on the front and am perfectly happy.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  11. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking (oh, no, not that!)... I just got back from a trip to Utah and Colorado on the Himalayan, forty years after I took a similar trip on an XT500. Forty years ago, I was suspicious enough of these new-fangled electronic ignition systems that I deliberately bought a two-year-old bike with points ignition, just so I wouldn't be stranded in the desert if the magic smoke leaked out of the brain box. On this year's trip to many of the same places, I didn't think twice about taking a bike with a far more complex fuel injection system, because the technology's proven itself. It just works, and works well.
  12. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put close to 100k miles on my SR … I loved that thing!

But the Himalayan has its charms ;)

56BB14BF-BEB6-48BC-88EB-4426BF35D04D.jpeg
    zefnerd, Kiwiscoot and slownold like this.
  13. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your journey. Is there a ride report?
    bomber60015 likes this.
  14. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took my fairing off and haven’t regretted it one bit. Thinking of cutting the original down along the smoked border to just protect the instrument cluster.
    slownold likes this.
  15. mr.kj

mr.kj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do - I built a new loom from scratch for my set up and that needs to go over winter (micro switches might look nice, but they’re hateful to use) and if I’m rewiring again, the ECU is going!
    rockt and dcoop like this.
  16. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    RR here. For once I actually did it in real time. Great trip, going back to the scene of the crime—I mean, my first “dirt road touring” trip—40 years ago. Great fun re-enacting a past adventure (minus the many falls and the broken chain), and visiting some new stuff. The Himalayan performed flawlessly.
    bomber60015 and dcoop like this.
  17. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cut mine down to little more than that about a week before a 4000-mile trip out west. Did this because the turbulence and helmet buffeting behind the stock screen was driving me nuts.

E6EC6977-18E1-494E-BDD4-693294F040F8.jpeg

Painted it black (on the back side). After 4000 miles, in temperatures ranging from low 50s to over 100, I can say I’m pretty happy with it.

I was at my RE dealer a few days after I did this, and noticed he had a short fly-flap windshield for sale. Don’t know if it’s a Genuine Part or aftermarket. Looked about 2” taller than mine. Also noticed that windshield on the 2021 model (at least in the USA) is now American made National Cycle part rather than whoever supplied the one that came on mine. Looks like formed polycarbonate sheet rather than injection molded cellophane like the earlier ones.
    talmage, dcoop and mr.kj like this.
  18. mr.kj

mr.kj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What has this done to top speed? I’m looking at going the other way, dropping a couple on the back and adding a couple up front - I didn’t buy this bike for the acceleration and it would be nice to be able to do a motorway without my fillings rattling out!
    little ackman and dcoop like this.
  19. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    the hole between first and second is puzzling … the factory had to know that most riding in their home market would be like our off road work.
    little ackman and shearboy2004 like this.
  20. shearboy2004

Oddometer:
    The top speed hasn't changed I just get there a little quicker. Change the gearing as much as you are thinking and I think you might have trouble getting to 5th gear! lol
    DaveH55, mr.kj and Beemerboff like this.