Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. dcoop

dcoop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking I should use Gearing Commander to suss all the gear ratios out. Currently I am running a 14 front and a stock rear, but after I get the H cam installed and the bike back home, I will sit down and pencil it all out.

Actually the site does that, I just need to verify the inputs.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. slownold

slownold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine's cut back to the top of the instruments (to protect them) but the company that did it seems to have made the top flat. Excellent though looking at those old recordings, I did notice that the without the screen is quieter.

The Conti GT screen works well on the Himalayan too. If you buy a stock RE one you'll have to make some brackets but I've been told that on ebay, you can get the Conti GT screen already set up to go on the Himalayan.
  3. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Givi 210 works great too , either with the universal bar or headlamp mount.
    But you will have to wait till I bump into Slownold on the trail before you get a picture off it!
    I have removed the beak, tank bars and OEM mirrors, and fitted a fork mount conversion, the Givi, cheap trapezoidal mirrors, Barkbusters and a Ogio tank bag and the silence and lack of turbulence is almost eerie.
    Helps if you have a decent helmet, I am on my sixth and probably last Schuberth.
    And I replace my hearing aids with earplugs too!
  4. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick question on the Delkevic install: this connection seems super loose. Are you meant to keep this crumbly plastic insert thing? I assumed that was just in the pipe to keep its shape.

IMG_20210724_121921.jpg IMG_20210724_121727.jpg
  5. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Surely the Gasket is to go on the reduced end of the pipe to take the original size muffler!
    In your case there it's between the end of the pipe and the adaptor that gets you up to the Muffler size.
    CaptainTrips, tiltos and slownold like this.
  6. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the plastic thing IS a gasket and required?
  7. Dool

Oddometer:
    yes, it's some fancy graffite gasket.
    CaptainTrips and tiltos like this.
  8. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, appreciated! It came with two and one fell apart :doh
  9. Dool

Oddometer:
    SILASTIK is good also
  10. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of mine fell apart too, so I would measure the thing up so you can make a replacement from aluminium sheet ready to fit when the second one does too!
    Part of the problem seems to be the strap hanger on the can which is thin and flexible and lets the can move around too much.
    Plating it either side around the bolt hole with something thicker helps.
    You will probably have to pack it over around 40 mm the make it fit without forcing so not a lot of extra work.
    My Tri Oval can is obnoxisly loud even with the baffle in place , reduces the power slightly, didn't fit by a mile and doesn't have any provision for the required heat shields.
    Ok at US prices, perhaps, but we have to pay around $600- for them in Oz!
    Some have cut off the reduced dia section of the pipe and made an extended adaptor to suit, most muffler shops will have the equipment to make one.
  11. slownold

Oddometer:
    Plastic? Mine felt like metal but maybe @Dool's right and it's graphite. I slathered it all with muffler putty to seal it (that'd be the orange stuff on your pipe - is this second hand?)
    CaptainTrips likes this.
  12. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What did you cut it with? I was thinking metal blade on a jigsaw, then sanding it smooth on the belt sander. Do you have a pic from straight on frontside?

Also, how come there’s bugs on everything but the windscreen in that shot? Do you have some kind of magical anti-bug elixir????

13. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I think @Dool is right and it was some graphite carbon thing. @slownold it was cool to the touch but flexible and crumbly (I broke one, luckily there were two).

@Beemerboff I was referring to the little pipe piece part rather than the adaptor. Weird it needed an adaptor at all really given they're both Delkevic. The 'harness' the muffler is on was a pain to get on that mount initially, but alright when a bolt went in. It does feel flimsy though. I think it's angled up pretty hard as I haven't put a nut on the bolt for he tab near the foot peg (what a sentence) but it's not budging. Of course, we'll really find out when I actually start riding with it! I've got a Termignoni race exhaust on my Ducati sans-baffle so I don't think decibels will be an issue for me.

Anyway got it all on pretty okay, fudged one of the header nuts (the hidden one) as my socket had half come off and I didn't realise. Hopefully it's all good enough though! The Delkevic guy said I need to wait 12hrs for the sealant to cure, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow

PS Shaggy seat is hiding my chopped 'egg gell' seat and eBay cool cover that's giving me a nice height boost (and allowing my knees to fit in the tank indents).

IMG_20210724_140126.jpg
    Doctor T, Eatmore Mudd and slownold like this.
  14. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Na it's new, that slathering was from me, whoops.

PS sorry about embedding massive images, was on my phone in the garage.
  15. slownold

Oddometer:
    That poor bike's too clean, go out and get it dirty :D
    tiltos likes this.
  16. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sounds almost like primary school kids talk:lol3
    download.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd and slownold like this.
  17. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Your concerns about that newfangled eelektronical ignition back then weren't unreasonable
    E I was new to bikes. Electronics are sensitive. Bikes have more harshness noise and vibration than cars. Both had way more HNV back then compared to now. Lucky for us the engineers overbuilt the dang things. Plenty of old bikes still running on the original EI parts.
  18. Dool

Oddometer:
    Looking at the install , that adaptor could be removed and the Muffler slipped forward and the Clamp would be closer to the middle of the muffler. I cut about 65mm off the end of my delkovik and slipped the muffler over the pipe couldnt see the point of the restriction
    tiltos and Beemerboff like this.
  19. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly, look at the Britten, I have been watching a a dco movie about the start of HD, 3 blokes in a shed. :photog
    Dool likes this.
  20. Dool

Oddometer:
    Like this

Attached Files: