Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Fistful of Bacon

Fistful of Bacon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the rockers are, nor do I have the knowledge to figure that out based on your description about riding on the cam, and actuating the valves. I'm totally green to this, guess I'll do a bit more research.
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:

When you look into the engine in the area in which you checked and adjusted the valves, you can see the (valve) spring … the stem of the valve is inside the spring.

the bit that rests on the top of the valve is one end of the rocker …
    The other end rests on the cam …

I’ll hunt up a video …

this should help

3. Fistful of Bacon

Oddometer:
    The rockers are the part connected to the tappet, that moves when pressing down?
    I think the problem now is that when I did the valves before, I was in the wrong stroke, so now they will move in other strokes, and not just the compression stroke?
    Someone said you can use your finger to cover the plug hole and feel when there is pressure to find compression stroke, are they referring to spark plugs hole? Or the view window on the crank?
  4. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That bike is waaayyyyy too clean….
    Dool likes this.
  5. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine has a Hima with about 2500 miles on it. Doing the same thing.
  6. bomber60015

Oddometer:

Spark plug hole. The piston will make the air in the cylinder compress, and try to find someplace to go … the spark plug hole, in this case.

look at the vid .. the rocker rides in the cam (the roundish thing at the top of the engine) on one side, and presses down on the
    valve end on the other.
  7. Fistful of Bacon

Oddometer:
    I had watched it, I just still didn't get what the rocker or cam was from it, so I was trying to clarify based on one of the things I actually knew.
  8. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a 6 pack job, 2 before 2 during, and 2 sitting back after it's done.
    CaptainTrips and Dool like this.
  9. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a new build, not too bad. A standard spot for most apartments, 2 for the big ones. The good part is there's motorcycle parking scattered around, with a 4x near the entrance that has ample dead space around it to tinker on things. Anything more involved I go to a mate's who has a normal home garage with light, warmth and music. Essential for the big jobs!
    Dool likes this.
  10. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    No worries … is it more clear now?
  11. Fistful of Bacon

Oddometer:
    Yep, appreciate the help.
    Will be pulling it all back apart tomorrow so hopefully things go smoothly.
    Learning how to work on my own bike was one of the many big draws of this bike, so I'm at least happy I have fairly easy access to the mechanical parts.
    My 990 adventure probably would've taken 3 hours just to get to the valves
    bomber60015 likes this.
  12. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If all fails, drink the 6 pack and listen to the music and then come back tomorrow and have another go.:photog
  13. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds really good. Wish they would build some where I live. One day it will time to move out the house into something smaller and low maintenance.:-)
    tiltos likes this.
  14. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    If leaving it for the next day it's pretty obvious that you didn't have enough beer so go for a 12 pack this time!
    Kiwi59 likes this.
  15. bomber60015

Oddometer:

This is a great bike to work on …

I’d suggest spending a half hour with a pair of flush cut dykes … cut the ends of all the zip ties flush … those suckers are sharp!
    dcoop likes this.
  16. Clonkex

Clonkex n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all :)

I've got a 2020 Australian-model Himalayan (BS4, I think? It has ABS and FI) and it's making an awful screeching noise at startup, but only sometimes and only when cold. I just don't know what to look for to fix it and I'm hoping someone can suggest something. Video of the problem:

As you can hear in the video, just after starting it makes a screeching noise for half a second or so, and then sounds perfectly good and normal.

I think this started after it slipped out of 5th at about 90km/h (I must not have quite pushed it into gear properly, not really sure). I believe I was quick enough to react to not over-rev it, but either way it revved close to the redline with no load, which is... not great, to say the least. Anyway at some point after that I went to start it up and it made that screeching sound, but for much longer than in the video; it kept screeching for a few seconds after it started, until I panicked and shut it off. I can't say for certain whether the screeching is directly connected to slipping out of 5th but it doesn't seem unlikely.

I've ridden it twice since then because the screech goes away after a second or so and then it sounds perfectly normal, but I would rather not risk destroying some currently-healthy part if the screech indicates ongoing damage.

I've checked valve clearances (which seemed kind of pointless but was an easy first step) and they were spot-on. Today I leaned the bike way over (hence the ratchet straps in the video) and took the left-side cover off just to see what I could see. It was perfectly clean and everything seemed in good order. I removed the oil strainer to check for signs of broken metal or other debris but it was clean as a whistle. I then had a thought that perhaps the cam chain tensioner had over-tensioned due to the high-RPM freewheeling (idk if that's a thing) so I reset it (and can I just say, it's a thousand times easier to reset than the tensioners on KLR250s). Then I reassembled and started it again, and the result is what you see in the video above.

I'm really at a loss as to how to proceed. I'd never be able to replicate this at a workshop because it only happens when cold, and even if I trailered it I bet you it would refuse to make the noise, so I'd prefer to figure it out myself.

To my ears it sounds like something without oil for a second or so, and the fact that it only happens the first one or two starts of the day seems to support that theory. I don't know what could cause that or what would be a likely culprit.

Thoughts or suggestions?
  17. slownold

slownold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds a bit like the starter motor not releasing properly. Warranty job.
    Dool and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  18. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sprag clutch, ?
  19. Clonkex

Clonkex n00b

Oddometer:
    That was my first thought actually, forgot to mention it. Unfortunately "warranty job" is way harder than it sounds where I live. 3 hours to the nearest dealer. I'd honestly be ok with replacing the sprag clutch myself if that's what it is.

Or maybe it's just a great excuse for a road trip :D
  20. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or a good enough excuse to pull it apart:-)