Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just fitted a Motobatt, bought it at Battery world cost here 160 bucks, same size as OEM bit higher Rating.
  2. Clonkex

Clonkex n00b

Oddometer:
    My nearest Battery World is several hours away (Lismore or Brissy). Much easier to buy online :D

And speaking of buying online, I just bought a PowerTronic :clap I'm hoping it'll generally improve the way the bike runs as well as somewhat reduce the engine temperature, but I guess we'll find out :)
    CaptainTrips likes this.
  3. Dool

Oddometer:
    Probably wont do anything for you or your Bike! Unless you have a good Map! Someone on this Forum sent theirs back and has nothing good to say about the experience.
    Its all about the Maps, the supplied map didnt do much for my bike when it was 411, Now after much experimentation and substantial help from A Guy on this forum, I have a map that makes the Powertronic really useful. For my 477 !
    You need Windows 7 on your laptop to run the software.
  4. Clonkex

Clonkex n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I can figure something out :)

I gather you've big-bored yours?
    Dool likes this.
  5. Dool

Oddometer:
    Yeah its not rocket science, but the PT is not a device that gives you power, if gives you the ability.
    Yes big bore number 3, 434, 462 and now 477cc.

Attached Files:

6. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the precise measurements etc. I forget who posted the idea first also. I stopped my project because I couldn't work out how to support the sides along the frame rails as the op did. Was going to use wood but didn't don't know what glue to use. You haven't done that. Any worries about the plastic seat base cracking between the front and back "risers?" I may now re-visit my project. Thanks again.
  7. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want the VTX9 BS V spec, around $95- so should be free shipping from MXS
    Clonkex and Dool like this.
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no worries about this. If you look at how the seat sits in stock position, it is resting entirely on those four rubber feet, sitting on the four frame tabs. The front and rear tabs on the seat keep it from flying off or being stolen. The sides of the seat don't actually rest on the frame rails (if they did, you would soon have rips in the vinyl). I just got back from a 4000 mile trip to Utah and Colorado, where I rode some pretty rough stuff sitting on the seat (i.e., Shafer Trail; I did not finally get off my fat arse and practice peg-standing till a couple days later). It didn't shift or wiggle or do anything unpleasant. The four mounting points work fine.

Note that the photo doesn't show the ~1/4" thick fiber chair feet that I stuck on top of the spacer blocks. I think the first person to come up with the idea of shimming the seat used stacks of these things. I tried that, but after the Hugellandschaft weekend I found the stacks were shifting; hence the re-design using plastic blocks bolted to the holes in the frame.
    talmage, Kiwithl and bomber60015 like this.
  9. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a PowerTronic more than a year ago for similar reasons and have been happy with the result. Fattened up the mid range torque a bit when paired with a Delkevic exhaust. I'm using the supplied maps with some tweaks that I have made. No major power gain but a noticeable improvement and the spark plug is no longer burned white. I did this with a possible big bore kit in mind, but don't find that I need it at this point.
    Dool likes this.
  10. Dool

Oddometer:
    Battery World saw me coming!
    That bat has GOOD specs.
  11. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent. I will re-visit this after my front end job's done and before I go the egg carton gel air water cushion and mesh cover route. Actually was thinking of cutting up the mrss yoga mat, never used, and then putting a mesh cover over it, as I'm pretty sure someone here's done already. But really I think if the seat's inclined up/back just a bit that will be enough.
  12. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what I was thinking. It's like a metal hammering sound, a hard 'clack' noise inside the engine. At least that's how it seems. Only happens in a limited low rev range.
    Dool and Doctor T like this.
  13. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I have 4 spare links. 2 are from DID and the others are stamped JT are from India eBay and they all fit correctly. They are just bog standard "O" ring 525 links. Maybe they fit different chains in your part of the world
    dcoop likes this.
  14. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    It's chain lash just like trying to take off in 3rd gear in the car. Your are just in the wrong gear at too lower revs. Lazymans riding
  15. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe there is a variation of 1 or 2 mm in pin diameter. Both of the master links that I got that did not fit, could be forced into the chain, but the link was too stiff to flex easily. Maybe they would have worn in, but I was not about to test that theory.

My chain is coming up on 20k km, so I am going to replace it anyway. But so far, it is hanging in there fairly well.
  16. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hitchcock's stock chain replacement master link is the JT 525 X1R. Price is okay, I can also find that on eBay UK
    Or the realisation that you're in the wrong gear as you suddenly need to take off when you thought you were braking to a stop. True, I don't like to over-rev my 'young' engine, but I soon knock it down a gear when I realise I don't have enough power to get out of a situation. It's in those brief couple of seconds that I hear it, but it's a hard, metal sound, so how is the chain slap sound generated? That is, the physical sound?
    Doctor T likes this.
  17. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a DID chain and a couple of DID spare links. Interestingly, almost all sizes were out of stock except for the 112 link chain. Then I noticed that the 112 link chain was also at least $40 cheaper than the other DID 525 VO chain sizes. So, I will save $40 and just remove the extra two links and receive my chain early next week.
    jcw64 likes this.
  18. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:

It's more like a metallic vibration sound. Put your bike on the center stand and start it. Select 1st or second gear and look at the chain bouncing, that is chain slap. Also called chain slash.
    If there's little or no load on the transmission then the chain will slap around. That is why there's a plastic guide protecting the swingarm. The only way to get rid of it is to over tighten the chain but will do your gearbox a lot of good.

I wouldn't worry too much. All the singles and twins ive owned did it
    jcw64 likes this.
  19. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or in the case of my experience, a check engine light and a company that didn't want to stand behind their defective product even after hours on the phone with the "lead" tech who obviously had a talking point sheet in front of him.
  20. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a clue where to find a replacement cover for the instrument cluster? My speedometer lens has cracked from my hand guards touching it on full lock. All I can find is second hand instrument clusters, which seems a bit excessive, in every respect. The lenses are plastic welded into the cluster cover, so would therefore not come as individual replacement parts. I was thinking to buy a flat disc of perspex and Dremel the old one out, but not sure if there is enough height clearance for the speedometer needle.
    Dool likes this.