Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big Fines for using Mobile Phones here, the only time you can touch your phone is to hand it to someone else in the Car
    little ackman, Doctor T and Clonkex like this.
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    little ackman, dcoop and Dool like this.
  3. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same problem here, only it took the trim ring’ off of the fuel gauge/compass. Used clusters are $$$ on ebay… there’s a product called ‘creeping silicone seal’ which is designed for windshield leaks and small cracks; you can try that to seal it up until you find a solution. Mask everything off and it should be ok.
    jcw64 likes this.
  4. Dool

Oddometer:
    You would be Hoping In Vain I would Suggest ! these sort of things only seem to go up in price not down. Actually as the Price goes up it makes ours a better proposition, for future sale although I have no plans to sell mine. ( who would buy it ?)
    little ackman and CaptainTrips like this.
  5. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even that will get you a ticket here.
    little ackman likes this.
  6. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:

I like it. The Australian guy with PUTT the Himalayan, did a great job on his Himalayan. This reminds me of PUTT, but PUTT was much better. Hate he took down his videos.

update...he's still on instagram, although the pics aren't as illustrative as the vids.

https://www.instagram.com/putt_the_himalayarm/
    Doctor T likes this.
  7. ToasTje

ToasTje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still on FB as well, think I saw a vid from him in my feed sometime this week

Sent a mail to my dealer today asking about the transfer details. It's been 3 weeks since I've paid a deposit and got the paperwork from him.
    They said they would email me the details.
    I want to go and collect my bike
    dcoop and bomber60015 like this.
  8. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it could do. Still liked both bikes but only came down to insurance in the end. The Norton was nice, probably why I ended up with a Himalayan. Now do not go there, not comparison between the two but!!:hide Time to hide.
  9. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be having a go at making a curved lens this weekend, so watch this space. A stainless steel food ring, a sheet of perspex and an oven. Maybe a hairdryer, and just maybe, a vacuum chamber. Simple in principle , but I might be doomed to failure with this one. Let's see!
    Doctor T, Hondapaul, Clonkex and 2 others like this.
  10. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    A thing I should have done but forgot to... anybody know the tread depth on a NEW Pirelli MT-60 rear tire? I installed a set for my Utah trip. I'm back after 4050 miles, and debating how far I can ride before this sucker is worn out. The first set went further, but they weren't loaded up with 40 pounds of gear on the back. IF I recall correctly, it's 7.5 mm, and I should make my upcoming trip to Wisconsin/Iowa just fine. If I recall incorrectly, I might be sneaking back a day early on a technically illegal tire...
    jcw64 and bomber60015 like this.
  11. slownold

slownold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Putt's still on facebook, regularly posts videos

https://www.facebook.com/Himalayarm
  12. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey lads, new Delkevic pipe is going well, has a nice low rumble to it. Pretty quiet in my opinion, but I've been told that "one loud bike is enough".

Question on the brake lever: has anyone moved it out further? I find that it just presses against the pipe when engaged, and sends a heap of vibrations up. It still works, just feel if I brought it out 10mm or so it'd be in the clear.

I read some posts here about people reinstalling the heat shield on the pipe to stop their heel smudging against it. I think I'm the other way around, and must ride pigeon toed.
    Dool likes this.
  13. slownold

slownold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Delkevic is definitely a loud pipe when under load, and pretty meaty otherwise. I agree that it's got a lovely rumble. My bike's a carby version and used to backfire and carry on when you rolled off the throttle - naturally, the louder pipe just made that more noticeable. So I removed the air injection system system, dead simple on the carby version and that completely killed the popping and banging. Now when I roll off, I get a lovely rumble from the pipe. I don't actually mind the louder exhaust because it makes the bike a character in my videos whereas the stock system was more a muted mutter.

I've no problems with boots or brake pedals, but if yours is giving you trouble, just move it. If you wear different boots, have a think about a two layer brake pedal, one step higher than the other for the different needs of the boots.
    No problems with my heel on the exhaust. I installed a guard over the master cylinder and, because my bike is black, painted it black, but I've noticed that I'm kicking some of the black paint off with my heel so heel guards are certainly worth it for more than just accident protection
    tiltos and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Cool.
    Yes I've moved my brake lever by bending it outward to its pre crash position. Not hard to do at all.
    slownold, dcoop and tiltos like this.
  15. Dool

Oddometer:
    Apparently the trick is to fall off and let it bend, another way would be to bend it yourself and do your best not to fall off, either way it's just a bit of Mild steel. Did you get the Rear hanger mounted to the Centre stand stopper? there has to be a reason your lever position has changed in relation to the frame.
    Doctor T and tiltos like this.
  16. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Pre Crash position. Tell me tell me more!
  17. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    You can just bend the brake pedal out to were you want it! I have a Delvic and have no problems with the exhaust near my boots. can not be leave how much lighter the bike is with the change.:photog
    Doctor T and tiltos like this.
  18. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    I got 6,000 miles out of the rear with 3,000 of that with heavy load so you make be okay.
    jcw64 likes this.
  19. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Now tell the Mrs that, and run like made!!!
    Doctor T and CaptainTrips like this.
  20. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Nah just leave the way it is, its called retro or rugged. Just the bike!! Good job.:photog
    bomber60015 likes this.