Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep just like water going down the plug hole and out of a sink.:y0!the wrong way around.
  2. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    How did you talk your way out of that one!! or did the fire department drop you off as proof.:-)
  3. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Would not like to try it, I suppose with the amount of traffic there its a huge difference in your travel time.
  4. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Yes it will be interesting to see what RE do. They will be watching the market and looking at what upgrades are being offered. For the factory to bore the cylinder and fit a larger piston with out needing to re sleeve should not add anything to the price if it is all done in house and to every bike. Also changing the ECU to add a more fuel once again should not add cost and even changing the cam. All possible. The changes would open up new sales for them as well. How many out there would have bought one with say 32hp at the crank. My own bike Hiima 2 has a 477 kit, Delvic full exhaust and a faulty PT. So with the PT removed and the iddle unit cranked a bit, it starts and idles really well. According to mechanic he got close to 25hp at the rear wheel. Took the bike for a ride today just over 266kms today. Not as good on the hills today as a bit more fuel low down and up to 5000rmp is needed as I had when the PT was working but still better than the standard bike at 411cc. On the real long climbs with PT 5th and could accelerate, with out the PT down to 4th and easily maintaining 100kph. When on the flat and small climbs not a lot of difference with out the PT. New PT will go in next week.:y0!
    little ackman and Dool like this.
  5. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Oh joy oh joy. What do you to think the shop would charge to do it and how many hours!!! The Himma has a lot going for it.:-)
  6. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cost has little to do with it - if RE see folks spending the best part of $2000- to get a few ponies they are under little pressure to do it for next to nothing.
    Type testing and compliance will have to be done in every market, and remember it is unlikely any of the current modified bikes would comply anywhere if they were tested.
    So there is more too it than a different cam profile and bigger piston, emissions and noise will have to remain at the current level, so perhaps not much can be done with the cam or mixture!
    If we did get somewhere near a 30 HP bike I would want better forks, brakes and shock too.
    Could probably be done within the $2000 - folks are currently spending, whether or not there would be a large enough market for it is another question !
    little ackman and CaptainTrips like this.
  7. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    RE will continue to Flog the Himma for as much as they can get out of it. If you think they actually care what we want then I suggest you have got it wrong.
    Like , did they ask you before,? No , oh well!
    So why would they ask now?
    They had frames break in half and only fixed them because of the Legal hassles, not because they care.
    Regardless, at the price ( Remember its a Cheap Bike) its a bit like an empty Canvas and there is so much YOU can do to it.
    Or you could just wait for RE and moan in the mean time about what it should of or could of been.:clap
    Just dont expect it to Happen soon.
  8. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Watched a program called "Full Custom Garage" where the guy made Perspex bubble tops for his custom creations (Ian Roussel - amazing all round nutcase/genius) and believe he used around 330 deg to soften heavy gauge Perspex before applying air pressure to make the bubble.

Me.. and for a much simpler, and smaller lens replacement...

I have had success in making replacement lenses with my trusty hot air gun and patience... As you are only needing a slight curvature to the plastic just make sure you raise the flat sheet higher of the table/bench than the required curve and heat away... slow and even until it drops... it will go opaque or even bubble if to much heat.

Back in the day I would put a lip onto my bike screens with a hot air gun... ended up doing several for others and then a mate asked about a speedo lens replacement and
    found out that a thin sheet will drop on its own (method above) enough to work well but a thicker or smaller lens needed help.

Mityvac's are quite handy as sometimes you just find a coffee/other tin that is the right size... mod top to suit... couple of rubber washers to seal... Schrader valve fitted... couple of pulls on the Mityvac for vacuum... heat... job done... Just maybe not on the first one :-).

Made an excellent back bleeder, years ago, for brakes out of a jam jar and two Schrader valves (one for air and one with a tube extension that went into the brake fluid).
    Mityvac for pressure n just wait for the brake fluid to rise up in the master cylinder... Solved a few "new lines" problem and one particular GSXR 750 that I had blead every which way to Sunday and could not get pressure at the lever.

Which ever way you end up choosing... hope it works out for you..
    Paul
    little ackman, jcw64, dcoop and 2 others like this.
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tire choice question … I’ll be running the MA and NE BDRs, and then riding back to the Chicago area … 3000 miles, round numbers …
    no slab, but paved backroads, gravel and some dirt.

I’ve used used various Shinkos and Dunlops on my old klr, but none of those would make it all the way.

What tires will go the distance?
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pedal seems to be mild steel … bending gently and slowly worked well for me.
    Dool and tiltos like this.
  11. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, will give it a little elbow grease and bend it out in the morning! Bend with my hands that is, not by connecting with the bitumen.

I was wondering what that random metal extension was! I took that off and connected it to the hole it left. Luckily I didn't throw it out - I'll put it back on tomorrow I guess.

We've been in Covid lockdown here, so tomorrow will be the first chance I get to take the Himma out for a proper stretch. Going to do the classic Black Spur for those familiar with Victoria. There should be just enough non-rainy hours to go up to Marysville and back. Fingers crossed.
    bomber60015 and Dool like this.
  12. Dool

Oddometer:
    What , Fall off Real Slow ?
    bomber60015 likes this.
  13. Dool

Oddometer:
    Best to keep all those 'Whoopee" parts that dont seem to have a use, just in case they are actually required ! Mechanics tool boxes are full of em!
    Have a Great ride , DONT CROSS THE BORDER...
    tiltos likes this.
  14. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    In my younger days of being a dispatch rider between terms. I had two occasions when my blood overboiled. The first was at Wandsworth roundabout. Traffic was crawling and a woman in a VW GTI kept closing the gap so i couldn't get through. She kept looking in her mirror and laughing. I advertently i get level with her, looked at her and she started to shooting abuse at be, why i have no clue. It came to a point when she tried to push my handlebars, so i lent in her window grabbed her key, and threw them across the road.
    Payback is sweet.
    The second was with a BMW driver. Riding up the A3 dual carriageway a BMW was driving in one lane then changing to the others nearly wiping me out twice. At the traffic lights, we met side by side where i informed him what he had done. He looked at me flicked his fag at me and closed his window still giving me hand gestures. So i politely smashed his window with my fist and also hitting him in the face at the same time. He tried to get out of the car but my bike was blocking the door. Then he pulled forward to get out. Put my bike on it side stand as he approached me and the prat went to hit me in the face but i put me head down a bit and he broke his hand on the helmet. At this time a cop car was crossing the junction and saw what was happening, stopped the traffic, and pulled us both up on the other side of the traffic lights. He again the block went for me again but this time just before contact i kneed him in the groin. He told his story to the Cops in handcuffs(:jack). Luckily for me, two other drivers that saw or sort of saw what went on and both informed the cops
    That they never saw me break the window and only saw the driver flicking the fag at me and getting out of his car to attack me. They arrested him took him to Wandsworth nick and towed his car away. I asked the other two drivers if they did see me smash the window and both said he deserved it for the way he was cutting everyone up. I shook their hands and we all drove off. When i got home i received a call from the Police station asking was i alright and whether i wished to charge him for the attack. I remember asking was he had broken his hand and was told yes 3 fingers. He also had to pay on top of the window replacement a tow away charge and storage charge. Feeling a little sorry for the block i said as long as he apologized i wouldn't charge. The Police officer got him to say sorry on the phone. The Police still kept him in a cell overnight to teach him a lesson.

There was a few more occasions but these are the ones that stick out of my mind. Day in the life as a London dispatch rider.
  15. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the MABDR in June with fairly fresh Mitas E-07s - had maybe 4-5 hundred miles of scrub in before the trip. Then we did slab back down to NC with as little interstate as possible. I was very pleased with the Mitas overall. Not much mud thankfully, so still haven't a good read on how much better they are in mud. We did air down a bit on some sections, but when we forgot to we didn't seem to notice as much.

Edited to add: Oh and let us know your planned dates, I would love to ride at least part of the MABDR again if schedule permits.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Have a look at any pre-production bikes. Whilst testing they always try and disguise the bikes by adding and taking bits or taking bits off and even black and white strips painted on them. Also so how old are the pictures?. There were pictures of the Himmi with smaller wheels before it went into production. Notice there is no tripper fitted too.
    little ackman, jcw64 and Dool like this.
  17. Dool

Oddometer:
    Regardless of what RE do,They cant have mine back, Its MINE.
    They can stick two wheels at the front for all I care and go electric which is probably what they will do.
    I didnt marry them, I just bought a Motorcycle, what they do in the Future is not my concern, I dont even care if they go Bankrupt !
    RCruiser and BGRooster1 like this.
  18. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Am happy with a big grin with my Himmie. Even told my dealer after 6 months "it's a keeper". I like the world going slower these days and having a bike that's not covered in plastic sheets
    wfrpalm and BGRooster1 like this.
  19. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    My wife knows i can't remember our wedding. All i got in response was that's good i can leave you now. It was 10 years i told her and she's still here.
    Clonkex likes this.
  20. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife knows too. She says I had the look of a deer in headlights the entire day. :tb
    Clonkex and bomber60015 like this.