Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Found a company that has released a new screen for the Himmie.
    225283440_4488674601165220_7604454493351583088_n.jpg
    Dool, Clonkex, tiltos and 1 other person like this.
  2. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in a similar quandary. Here's my MT60 with 4500 miles on it from new. I have 5.4 mm tread depth remaining at the wear indicators. I'm going to Spain in 3 weeks. Will my tyres be good for another 1600 miles? My concern, looking at the wear on my MT's from highway riding and next-to-no cornering, is that the centre of my rear tyre will be worn out before I reach the wear indicators.

20210731_191718_HDR.jpg
  3. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This gives me confidence! Thanks.
  4. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my first puncture this morning, on the rear tyre. The puncture gremlins must have been snoozing, because the tyre went flat just 100 yards from my house, after covering 6 miles. Having said that, they selected a brand new 1.25" drywall screw to slot perfectly into the tread groove, with 90 degree rotation to drive it all the way home. Bastards. :lol2

Taking the rear wheel off took 10 minutes. Now I'm waiting on Amazon to deliver some tyre levers and puncture patches by 1 pm tomorrow (Sunday). Never done this before, and need the bike for work on Monday, so no pressure!
    Whilst I was at it, I fitted a 16T front sprocket for my upcoming Spain trip. My chain is 4500 miles old, and with the adjusters backed off to the maximum, there's more slack than with the 15T fully adjusted.

20210731_175017_HDR.jpg
  5. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    That ought to be exciting in a crosswind...
  6. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did once 'tear gas' (being Polish this stuff was always available(for a U.S. dollar) from any 'Miliceant'(policeman) in the 'good 'old' communist days' during my visits to family in Warsaw. Times were hard in the 70s, so I did minicab 'w/end night driving' in London to earn extra... Long story short... Black(The Cab, not the guy, it's a Brit thing) cab driver gave me a lot of grief at 2.00 a.m at Marble Arch(London)...blew the stuff in his face...took the bunch of keys out of his ignition...threw them into the river Thames(Battersea Bridge) on the way home...am/was I a 'bad person'...??
    aussie dubber, Clonkex and Doctor T like this.
  7. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    You found wear bars? Mine don’t seem to have any. Measured depth is 7.5 mm on the chicken strips, and I assume that was the center of tread depth on a new tire. Middle is now down to 2.4 mm after 4300 miles. This works out to 1.2 mm per 1000 miles, or about 9-1200 before I’m at the legal minimum for a street tire. Looking at a 700-1000 mile trip with nothing more difficult than a dry gravel road (or so I’m told), so figure I’m OK.
    bomber60015 and jcw64 like this.
  8. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My commute is 12 miles and the traffic is a joke most days, with Google journey time for a car being 50 mins. to 1 hr. 10 mins. I make the same journey in 35 minutes.

This was me leaving work last Christmas. :D

Loadtoad101 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trans Wisconsin?
  10. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are six bumps on each side of the Pirellli MT60 - every 8 tread segments, as it were. Fellow inmate Bob (oldgsbob) pointed them out to me.

20210731_210847_HDR.jpg
    little ackman likes this.
  11. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i may be in the cautious minority but unless i am in the middle of nowhere or out for a ride i don’t patch tubes I simply replace it and carry the patched tube as a spare. No sense playing Russian roulette when you don’t need to. That said I am about to go take my 60 year old enfield on the highway for the first time since the highway system was invented. Wish me luck.
    talmage, Clonkex, dcoop and 5 others like this.
  12. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may replace my tyres before setting off on my Spain trip in 3 weeks, in which case I'll replace the tubes. I just need to have it fixed in time for work on Monday.

Best of luck with the RE! Let's see some photos please.
  13. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    The big problem with your bis is it's too clean. I've bought new tyres in France and even with fitting they were cheaper than over here. Something to do whilst in your budgie smugglers, sunning yourself in Spain.
    Kiwi59 likes this.
  14. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    if your wife lets you rides bikes like mine does and tells to go for ride they are keepers. Now telling me to by an interceptor.
  15. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    023A0578-807D-4985-855C-0D14928CCC66.jpeg 648F8A42-F55D-4F3A-A910-C5C3FFB596C3.jpeg
    here ya go. Here is the “worlds fastest” production motorcycle until the cb750 came out and the first bike to kill the sub 14 sec 1/4 mile. Probably one of 20 or so still rideable in the world from a production run of roughly 150. The vaulted Enfield Vax Interceptor 700. That said I think the odds on me killing myself on it are astounding greater in under a year for the over/under. She simply doesn’t stop.

Attached Files:

16. oldgsbob

oldgsbob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it is a sunshade.
    jcw64 likes this.
  17. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was thinking I can get cheaper tyres in Spain, and probably have them fitted for 30 euros if I take the wheels to a garage. Going to Spain is like going home for me, having lived there longer than anywhere else (12 years). Was never one for sunbathing!
    Doctor T likes this.
  18. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vincent owners might disagree with some of these claims, even the Black Shadow would better them and a Lightening would just about lap it on a 1/4 mile!
    Recently read a decent article on the RE motor in Real Classic? mag, certainly seems a bit more sturdy than anything the British competition put out.
    In the day it was said that they had a cast iron crankshaft that was prone to breaking, but after reading the article that rumor was probably started by Triumph owners!
    little ackman likes this.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    And nothing from Asia or America matched it's handling untill Suzuki launched the GS in 197
    Took a turn too fast for the soil changes and washed out the front end. We went down. The rocks collected a brake lever and bent the brake pedle as "tribute to the trail". Used a combination of tools from the underseat tool kit and a rock to pry the brake pedal back out to where it was supposed to be. Snapped the bent end off the brake lever to make it more comfortable for two finger operation and finished the ride. At home a hammer was used to reduce the dents a little in the muffler & exhaust elbow heat shields. The muffler bracket and the end of the exhaust pipe are a little bent bent, a slight improvement in my estimation.

Later on the trail extracted a turn signal, a reflector and fork boot as toll.

As long I ain't paying the ferryman it's all good.
    dcoop, Dool and CaptainTrips like this.
  20. Clonkex

Clonkex n00b

Oddometer:
    Some of that stuff you're doing is scary! Like where you ride next to the oncoming lane or squeeze around busses. Don't get me wrong, it's super cool to see someone so skilled at navigating heavy London (I think?) traffic, but... scary!
    jcw64 likes this.