Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am nibbling at the... :rogue (makes sense if you’re familiar with the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail)...

Last summer, on two different trips, I rode about the first 150 miles, from the Ill-Annoy line to Soldiers Grove. Tomorrow I’m planning to ride up to Pikes Peak (Iowa) and camp at the state park. I reserved one of the increasingly rare tent-friendly sites (at least it was tent-friendly, level and with actual grass, last October—who knows if the DNR has “improved” it for the trailer crowd). Figure I’ll ride Soldiers Grove to around Sparta on Monday. Weather’s been dry, and they say the stuff with sand, mud, etc., doesn’t start till about Black River Falls. So I should be OK on my worn-to-street-tread Pirellis.

When I get home, I’ll slap on the Shinko 244s that arrived in the driveway yesterday.

Haven’t figured out exactly how or when I’ll do the rest of the Trans Wisconsin, but would like to complete it this fall. Camping is a problem because ever since my body devoted itself to assuring full employment for orthopedists, my camping kit’s been too heavy and bulky for much past easy gravel. I’ve done all my TWAT riding to date as unencumbered day rides from a base camp at Potosi or Pikes Peak. I will probably motel the rest. Thinking about the first week in October, as I can stay with a friend on Castle Rock Lake on the way back—Saturday of Slimey Cruds weekend, there’s a beer fest in his town, to which I have contributed a few kegs.
    Dool, Eatmore Mudd and bomber60015 like this.
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    October wild be a wonderful time to wrap up the trail. It’ll be gorgeous.

LaFarge has a park with tent camping on the edge of town. Quiet, showers, and a five minute stroll to a bar with food chow.
  3. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the extra $2000- would put the price unto Japanese territory, and would probably make it harder to sell. Reputation goes a long way, and takes a long time to build
    Doctor T and Dool like this.
  5. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does she have a sister?
    Doctor T, Eatmore Mudd and Dool like this.
  6. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like his Helmet, matches the Sleet well.
    bomber60015 and Doctor T like this.
  7. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Mud, Yes as long as you are in one piece is the main thing. We can always repair our bikes. The one thing that concerns me as I get older do not think I bounce like the old days. Be safe out there. The slow Kiwi now days.:muutt
    Eatmore Mudd and CaptainTrips like this.
  8. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Hope the puncture repair goes ok. Good you got it so close to home.:dirtdog
    Neither did my cb750/4. Over taking at over 100mph with a speeding car heading for me, only one thing for open the throttle and hope to make the gap. Still here so must done. Great bike but at high speed more brakes would have been welcome. :devildog
    Oh to be young and bullet proof or so we all thought.
    Doctor T and jcw64 like this.
  9. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    The last will be the hardest (beer fest) enjoy.:photogJust remember not tooooo many beers.
  10. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Yes she does and she is married. Could ask my father in-law how you need to pay him for the for her though!! may have buy her hubby out as well. Not sure on the bike part though.:imaposer
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. Dool

Oddometer:
    More Fuel to the fire! But take a look at what replaces the Jerry can Holder, 411!. Screenshot_20210801_144010_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd, Doctor T and jcw64 like this.
  12. Dool

Oddometer:
    I hope the front brake caliper gets fitted
  13. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Now I really love the lack on traffic where I live. You are way braver than me. How many years of this have you been riding in the traffic!!:photog
  14. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Less than 18 months on the Hima. But I lived on London in the 90's and rode a few motorcycles around town back then.
  15. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could always get the shoes relined with modern hi friction liners... plenty of places/options out there these days... i.e.
    https://www.mintexclassic.com/classic-brake-upgrades/
    you might also just check the ovality of your drums and get them skimmed etc
    Paul
    Eatmore Mudd and byteofthecherry like this.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Similar color i was thinking of getting mine resprayed. Desert sand.
    tiltos and Dool like this.
  17. Dool

Oddometer:
    Does look good.
    tiltos and Doctor T like this.
  18. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine got sprayed with more than enough desert sand on my trip to Utah last month! :jack
  19. Dool

Oddometer:
    did any stick?
    Doctor T likes this.
  20. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I need to start researching town and county parks in Wisconsin, because I just can't stomach what the State Parks charge, especially if you're from out of state. One of the reasons I'm camping at Pikes Peak is that the Iowa state parks have free admission and non-electric camping is $14 a night. Directly across the Mississippi River in Wisconsin, Wyalusing State Park is $23 a night for camping plus $11 a day just to enter the park. Sixty bucks extra for three nights? No thank you, Wisconsin. Last time I was up that way, I checked out the city park campground in Soldiers Grove, where the WI BMW club held a rally every May (I assume they still do, or will in the post-Covid world). Nice facility and cheap. I will have a look at La Farge. I think the TWAT tracks listed a number of county/town camping facilities.
    Luckily, I will have a ride to and from the beer fest. Though, as a brewer and server (and on one occasion, bagpiper) at the fest, I probably won't be able to drink that much. The dangerous time will be the night before, on the deck at the host's lake house. Last time we lined up bottles of every Oktoberfest beer we could find for sale on the trip up, something like 20 in all. That was a marathon! Luckily all we had to do was stumble from the deck back to the house...

Last time they had the beer fest (they skipped 2020 due to the plague), I arranged to have another member of the club bring my kegs and taps up, so I could ride up separately on the Himalayan and hit the Crud Run on the way back. Nice trip. There's a posting several hundred pages back about that trip, I think...
    bomber60015 likes this.