Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh i am just quoting the enfield factory line if the day. Of course by 61 vincent was an ancient footnote to history and couldn’t object but the funny thing is this vax makes more hp and torque the my 60 year nearer guzzi out of the box. We will see how long it takes me to blow it up though. It is one weird bike imho. Handles great considering the vintage comparisons
  2. oldgsbob

oldgsbob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    well done John, beyond the scope of many. Or we just wouldn't try in case it went badly wrong.
    CaptainTrips, jcw64 and bomber60015 like this.
  3. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beer saved the world!
    BGRooster1 likes this.
  4. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi John, Very nice piece of work.
    jcw64 likes this.
  5. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drinkable almost anywhere. :photog
    Dool likes this.
  6. Dool

Oddometer:
    What do you Mean Almost? , Explain yourself Man!
    Kiwithl likes this.
  7. tumblingdice54

tumblingdice54 Globetrotter

Oddometer:
    That's really funny cause I live in Canada and my compass only knows NW, N and NE!
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine shows every direction but East. No significant relationship between what it shows and which way I’m going, though.
  9. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This seems to make sense. I'm in the tropics, a bit north of the equator and mine seems to show all directions and the north arrow accurately, even changing as I change direction while riding. Within the accepted tollerance of +/- 45 degrees of course.
    Dool likes this.
  10. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey lads, I nearly have all my AliExpress pieces to make a DIY Boosterplug. I'm using this as a reference. Just wondering if anyone has a more detailed guide (eg a wiring diagram)? There's a picture halfway down that gives me a fair idea of what's going on, but not quite sure what the wires are doing between the Sumitomo plugs.

upload_2021-8-4_14-57-59.png
    Doctor T likes this.
  11. Dool

Oddometer:
    Find the sensor at the front of the Airbox ,it had 2 wires just cut one ( doesent matter which) and put your new thermistor in the circuit. Its Series ie one after the other so the 2 wire that normally go to the sensor just have an extra resitance in them and that is what the ECU sees. None of this is Polarity conscious just dont turn on the ignition while you have the wire cut.
    The extra plug that is crossed is jut to put it back to original without the extra thermistor so not needed.
    The question marked bit is just 2 wires ,one has been cut to add in the plug , the same a cutting your own wire but more easily reversed

what size thermistor did you get
  12. Dool

Oddometer:
    RE put it the Compass just to whet the appetite, now they are hoping you are so Fed up with it that the New Model with its Tripper Navigation is appealing?
  13. tiltos

tiltos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to use the extra plugs so I don't have to cut into my main harness (that's why I bought them). The crossed out plug was just to ignore, it's their 'reference plug'. I'm still waiting on the 6189-0156 2 pin connectors in that pic, but I don't see why you need them anyway, so will hook it straight into the Sumitomo plugs.

From what I'm understanding, you're saying polarity doesn't matter, so I can just splice the thermistor into either of the wires. In fact, I can even get them confused in my connector bit and it'll work fine. That's what I needed to know, thanks!

I got this thermistor, based on this post from that other forum.
    Dool likes this.
  14. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:

I am imagining myself in the product planning meeting in which the product manager announces to the engineering team that the compass would have a 25% accuracy spec.
    tiltos, Kiwithl and Dool like this.
  15. ToasTje

ToasTje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's in. Let the tinkering commence

*edit* wtf is wrong with tapatalk? Pics are being locked :s

*edit2* let's try imgur
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Dool

Oddometer:
  17. ToasTje

ToasTje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For now nothing special, a "ram" mount with built in wireless charging, dual USB port with volt meter, a fuse-box for the accessories, rear pannier racks, givi crashbars, extra set of lights, front fender risers, mastercylinder and oilcooler guards. And whatever else takes my fancy at hitchcocks ;)
    Possibly (read: probably) a 14T sprocket and a Lexteck exhaust
  18. I_dont_even_know

I_dont_even_know n00b

Oddometer:
    First time post ever, so please be kind. I have a 2021 Himalayan with scheduled 3000 mi service (Aug 31st, my dealer was overbooked) First time rider, I practically learned to ride on the thing. Anyways, couple of weeks ago, the fuel pump won't prime when cold, once I eventually start it (the pump primes) , either by turning the key 10 times or toggling the on/off switch. And I warm it up. The fuel pump primes immediately. Recently the check engine light started flickering on turn key instead of being solid. After it starts it is solid, but it bugs me a lot as I am afraid to take it on long rides (I ride solo mostly and am mechanically enthusiastic at best, inept at worst). I checked the harnesses from the battery with my untrained eye, but honestly I don't know what I am looking at. Google difference variations of "himalayan fuel pump won't prime" but nothing specific. My mechanic said it may be bad fuel, but it is the same pump that I have gone 10 times before. Do you have some videos of checking/ adjusting the fuel pump relay? Has anyone had similiar problem? Any ideas what is the deal? Thank you in advance!
  19. FishinMusician

FishinMusician n00b

Oddometer:
    I’d like to test ride a Himalayan somewhere in the upper Midwest (I’m in southern WI).

Willing to pay $50 for an hour. I can put more cash in your hands during ride as a security and/or sign a written agreement…whatever’s necessary. Chop some wood? Paint your garage door?

My question is done. Now I’m going to blab if you’re interested:

Buying a motorcycle without riding it is common, but I dunno. There are dealers near me that will allow a 10 minute test ride, but there’s a pretty strong expectation that you’re likely to buy. And I don’t want to purchase brand new.

I’ve been fortunate enough to rent and borrow a few bikes during my search for my first bike. Which has spoiled me. The Himalayan may be my top choice but I can’t find one to try.

I rented a Honda rebel 300 for two days. My tail bone was screaming at me. That was no good. I rented a V Strom 650 and rode it for 11 straight hours. Not a trace of soreness, it was super comfortable. Recently spent a full day on a triumph scrambler, and it was fairly comfortable, but wind on the highway was a problem. My brother owns a BMW 650GS…so I can say with experience that’s a contender (instead of guessing and hoping which is my point).

These are just examples… I know this has been discussed before, but it’s strange that you would throw down thousands of dollars for something you can’t get an adequate feel for. People do it all the time, but golly – it would make all the difference to simply take, say, an hour on a bike.

So, having spent time on other borrowed bikes, I see the value in it. And now I can’t imagine going without.

Is there a Himalayan owner out there willing to help out?
  20. Dool

Oddometer:
    When you say " it wont Prime" do you mean you can hear it running and it doesent stop?