Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Sriracha

Sriracha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m at about the same , 1250 after first change . I filled to the top mark when I changed the oil, and tchecked this morning before a trip and I was just below the bottom mark.
  2. B7ACKTHORN

B7ACKTHORN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nopes. At least, I haven't. Do you observe any black smoke or have to top up oil within the service interval?

Cheers!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. Sriracha

Sriracha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven’t noticed any smoke. I’m putting on freeway miles and cruising at 70mph+ for a 15 mile stretch on my work commute. The bike has been running smooth with no problems. Just not sure where the oil is going... no leaks that I can find, and it seems like a lot to go missing without noticing a black exhaust cloud.
  4. B7ACKTHORN

B7ACKTHORN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oil leaks can indicate faulty valve stem seals or faulty piston rings. Since the bike is probably new, the effect isn't immediately pronounced. I'd suggest a compression check. Do you have an idea as to the ML that you're topping up, post the diagnoses, at least that should give us an idea on the amount consumed.

Cheers!
  5. air4life

air4life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please accept my dated opinion on this topic:

If you are doing a regular commute at those speeds and you also bring it to the top mark, I wouldn't be surprised that you would lose some over time. Why not try keeping the level at the mark it is at (assuming its within operating range) and watch it more closely. If it continues to need oil to maintain the bottom safe level, more investigation is needed.

I'm not sure if their is a break in period on these type engines, where there is miles needed to seat the rings. If that were the case, in the old days you'd use oil.

6. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, added a half liter between changes after about a thousand miles of hard pinned highway speeds. Not unusual at all for a single to burn a bit of oil if driven at higher rpms continuously

Sent from my Z558VL using Tapatalk
    Bojer likes this.
  7. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Stopped at Seat Concepts yesterday in Caldwell Idaho. First impressions are very good. It's the tall model. Will post a pic later.

eakins and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Well that's a long way from your front porch.:D
  9. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking it's not consumption by the usual suspects because the bike doesn't have enough miles for that. I'm thinking crank case oil vapor getting sucked out the case and into the intake by way of the crank case ventilation plumbing.

Don't forget two right ways to check oil on these is on the center stand flat level ground two minutes after shut down and on the center stand fist thing in the morning. Gimme a day to dig up the pictures.
  10. air4life

air4life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, which would be expected on the type of runs this rider is putting their bike on.

11. B7ACKTHORN

B7ACKTHORN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gents, I have query if I may. Rambling through the manual, I did come across one interesting artifact, for a lack of a better term. :) "The Engine Oil Temperature Sensor" To my surprise I did find a thread posted along similar line in our forum debating the ambient temp vs IAT of the Himma. The post in our forum did indicate that the oil temp sensor was placed somewhere near the head. Now dissecting the head, I didn't find any sensor such as Oil Temp Sensor. Am I missing something here?

2018-09-22_2251.png

Cheers!
  12. Sriracha

Sriracha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That makes s new to me, given no other signs of problems. I’ve been checking oil level on the center stand on level concrete after the engine is cold. Anything I can or should do if it is going out the ventilation plumbing? Just keep an eye on the level and add as needed?
  13. Sriracha

Sriracha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    *makes sense to me... damn autocorrect.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    It's not a lot of oil considering the speed and mileages your knocking back. Just add as needed.

If you're the kind of guy that plans on keeping the bike for 40 or 50 years you could put some kind of crud cutter in the gas like Seafoam or Techron etc. from time to time. Heck you could even go all out and put a oil separator inline with the vent tube. There's some room under the air box.
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I do believe the oil temperature sensor is threaded into the back of the head on the lower right.
  16. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Definitely a 2 hour seat, rode from Burns Or to Bend Or and didn't stand once . Lots of room to change positions. [​IMG]

17. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Ha, ha. I'd ride twice that far for a comfy bum.

Richarde1605 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Very way cool.

BTW any plans to turn Northwest North ?
    :1drink
  19. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    I gave it a thought, got kin in Ballard. Too many nights camping below freezing is forcing me to head south. The one farkle I didn't and should have installed is heated grips. I've never done a trip without them and never will again.

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Tall correct?
    Any forward slope issues?
    What the seat height now?