Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No specific sequence in my manual, just "Tighten Hex flange bolt on cam shaft cover small AND the 12 bolts on cylinder head cover, diagonally using 8mm socket spanner to respective torque values." ...which are..."Hex flange bolts: M6X60, M6X55, M6X45& M6X40 Torque: 1.0-1.4KgM (10- 14Nm)
    Hex flange bolts:M6X21 Torque: 0.8-1.2KgM (8- 12Nm)".
    I guess it's not subjected to large stress and vibration like the cylinder head. When I replaced mine after having checked my head bolt torques, I just applied the Loctite 5900 then tightened the cover mini-bolts up evenly, not even diagonally as it says in the instructions and it's ok.
  2. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, I did end up just doing some diagonal tightening. Cam has 3 miles on it. 297 to go. I may slit my wrists long before I reach 300 break in limiting my revs to 4k. :)
    modiorne, JustinP and dcoop like this.
  3. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll just have to cherish the memory of that lovely drive up the M6 over Shap Fell, touching 110 mph, middle of the night, perfect road conditions, empty road, no danger to anybody...ah..
    Doctor T and dcoop like this.
  4. BillMcQuade

BillMcQuade Slow way round

Oddometer:
    Do you have a verified source for this info?
    Doctor T likes this.
  5. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a check- I think you will find England is no longer in the EU and probably won't have to introduce these laws.
    You might even have had a vote on leaving ----!
    From what I have read it was the introduction of loony laws like these that was a major factor in the decision to leave.
    Good for you, I see you have now entered an alliance with he US and Australia to counter the threat to cross channel shipping from the Chinese navy, vital work to ensure the safety of the free world!
    modiorne and little ackman like this.
  6. slownold

slownold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More to the point, it's also pissed the French off, and that's always a good thing :D
    dcoop, modiorne and little ackman like this.
  7. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    stolen from Sam's site

Attached Files:

dcoop likes this.
  8. Dool

Oddometer:
    AUKUS couldnt include the French or it would be FAUKUS:clap
  9. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    England does not need the EU to come up with looney "safety" ideas--remember the "Transport Research Lab" and its obsession with "leg protectors" that were found in testing to actually increase the likelihood of injury?

We in the US are also quite capable of generating our own looney "safety" programs--see, for instance, Joan Claybrook and the "backwards bike" project that swallowed a pile of our tax dollars. And that American can-do spirit, the one that leads us to have more laws than any other country and the firm belief we can reach perfection if we just pass a few more, is alive and well over here. Just a couple days ago the Guardian reported that buried in that big economic stimulus/infrastructure bill is a provision that would require car manufacturers to develop passive drunk-driver detection systems. Nothing intrusive like having to blow into a breathalyzer to start the car; rather, something that lurked in the background, out of sight, and somehow determined if the driver was inebriated. Nobody knows if such a thing can actually be made to work, of course... and with cannabis being legal in close to half the nation, there's another whole issue...

I do predict an impending rise in used-vehicle prices...
  10. Dool

Oddometer:
    How could Cannabis be Legal in half of the Country that gave us the War ON Drugs ? doesent make sense.:-)
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  11. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You fellas need to keep in mind that CSM (church, state, money) content is frowned upon out side of the dedicated CSM thread found in the basement by those who run this web forum and several inmates.
    dcoop and Dool like this.
  12. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Places I have ridden my Himma would have got me hurt with those giant "brush/tree limb catchers" sticking out. :muutt
    little ackman likes this.
  13. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used my jacket liner (included vest and sleeves) and gloves on at the same time and never had an issue.
  14. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are you now on the MABDR/NEBDR? Thanks for the pics!
  15. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    It is in the EU emission papers published last year. I found it by error whilst looking for something else. The paper is around 350 pages. There have been reports by BBC News and other news programs on the subject. I couldn't read the whole paper as you have to order and pay to see the whole contents.
    little ackman and Dool like this.
  17. Dool

Oddometer:
    This sounds awfully like a line from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxies :rofl
  18. BillMcQuade

BillMcQuade Slow way round

Oddometer:
    That's a shame. I Googled it for a while, but couldn't find anything concrete. I would love to see the full horror of this proposal...
  19. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    France is the driver for many of the wacky EU motor vehicle laws. Recent additions for passenger vehicles and motorcycles include, mandatory reflective vests for all person's, three breakdown triangles (the kit is the size of a loaf of bread) and two (2) one-use breathalyzer kits. Yes, you carry your own breathalyzer in France.
    Doctor T likes this.
  20. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Reflective vests are only for when you break down on the Motorways. In all the years i have ridden in mainland Europe I've never been asked to show i have all the kit but there are big on the spot fines if you are missing a bit of the kit. If you haven't the money the Police take you to the nearest cash point to pay them. People moan about the French Police(Local, Nationale) but i have found them friendly and helpful. I have also found from past experience the German Police can't help enough. Russian cops pocket fines but a pack or 2 of Malboro works with them.
    xy3, CaptainTrips and Dool like this.