Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Orinoco

Orinoco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here you go, direct from MAG's top brass...
    From FEMA meeting:
    On the issue of new cars being fitted with speed control devices from summer
    2022 and whether motorcycles are likely to be made to accept similar
    technology in the near future - is considered as only a very remote
    possibility for at least the next 10-15 years and more likely, never.
    As Colin intimated, FEMA staff were involved in direct discussions with the
    EU about three years ago and successfully put the case forward that it would
    potentially very dangerous, given the nature and physics of steering a
    motorcycle, to have any form of speed restrictor fitted to a PTW. The
    reasoning being that if the motorcycle was steering into a bend or
    cornering, any speed reduction could easily upset the rider's balance,
    causing an accident.
    I mentioned the idea that speed control might be an entry step towards
    autonomous vehicles, in a future where motorcycles might be side-lined
    altogether because their speed could not be controlled but this possibility
    was also thought to be so remote that it is not an active consideration. The
    fifteen European countries on the hang-out meeting gave no hint of
    disagreement.
    Motorcycle external speed control is now a 'watching brief' just in case the
    idea suddenly 'sprouts legs' and is resurrected, as these daft ideas
    sometimes are.
    Kind regards
    Ian Churchlow MAG Director

I'll stop there as it's not Himalayan related
    little ackman and zefnerd like this.
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bleed using a cheap MityVac vacuum bleeder with no issues. If you are not draining the ABS unit then there should not be an issue.
    little ackman and bomber60015 like this.
  3. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    An acquaintance operates a small motorcycle tour company in Africa. They used Spot units. A client forgot the drive on the left rule and came around a corner and hit a vehicle head on. The client and his wife were badly injured. The Spot was activated by the tour operator but they would only dispatch an ambulance by road a couple of hours away from the closest city. They would or could not send a medivac copter. They ended up loading the victims in the back of a truck. The wife did not survive. The company switched to Sat phones.
  4. dcoop

dcoop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the DeLorme (now owned by Garmin) to let my wife and others track me as I ride/hunt/go walkabout. I have a “recreation” account which includes X number of texts per month, additional at per text rates. There is an “SOS” function which I have never used. Texts are sent via satellite. Bluetooth connect to your phone and you can dictate the texts. Used it over a lot of the world with no problems.

Some countries (authoritarian types, like all of the ‘stans) won’t allow sat phones. I just didn’t tell them I had one. I gave it to my son because I didn’t like the annual fees, cheap fellow that I am.
  5. dcoop

dcoop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I thought Mexico was going to pay for them . . .
    bomber60015 and CaptainTrips like this.
  6. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I was all loaded up for four days of logging roads and camping west of the Frazer River this morning with friends. Rain gear on, ready to roll and... the battery was dead. 10.4v Rode the bike two days ago and no issues. But, I left a Garmin GPS plugged in all last week, although it was powered off, it may have been trying to charge it's internal battery which is kaput. But I had been riding the bike every couple of days with the GPS plugged in and no issues. New Yuasa battery installed in July.

I need to get to the bottom of this parasitic drain issue. Is there a fix for the rectifier issue?
  7. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clocking up 6k miles on my Himmie now, and according to the Owner's Manual I need to be replacing (apart from oil and filter, which I did at 5k just prior to my trip) - the rubber hose to the inlet manifold, same from air filter box-to-throttle body, the air filter, throttle and clutch cables, fuel line, hydraulic brake fluid (front and rear), brake pads (front and rear) drive chain and sprockets and cush drive rubbers. Seriously?? I dread to think what it would cost to actually pay to have the bike serviced.
  8. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode those tracks a few years ago … you’re gonna have a gas!
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m not certain the responses in Africa are similar to here in the states.
    Doctor T likes this.
  11. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, but I think that it is wise to read the fine print. Apparently medivac flights are available in South Africa and were promised by Spot if the victim was not available to a rapid ground response.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  12. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks a bit like part of a run I did in 1965 on a Velo Venom, except I skipped the ferry and drove up to Venice. From there I still had to do 1200 miles in two 16 hr days to get back home to Scotland.
    On the way down we teamed up with a elderly Pole who was on a ex US army Harley hack, still in his Polish army uniform and with his son in the chair.
    Worked well, we were waved through most border crossings without even stopping!
  13. MadMotoMods

MadMotoMods Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone,

Been off the forum for a few months (not that anyone would notice ) but thought to make a post, now that my Himalayan is nearly done.
    Below is a picture of my current setup and finally my endless pursuit of mods that suit my liking are finally over (almost) and more ironically, the count of it stands at 69 :oscar

Since my last post on the forum, I have changed to Aluminium Rims with Tubeless conversion and put more than a 1000miles without an issue, running Pirelli Scorpion Trail II.
    Changed to 477cc Bigbore , Highlift Camshaft Stage 2. Also added stiffer clutch springs and performance valves (Hitchcock).
    Changed from Euro5 header pipe to Euro4 and put in a Delkevic Titanium end can.

Also changed from 15-38 sprocketing to 520 pitch Bi-metal (Supersprox) 36T rear and also a 16T front.

IMG_20210705_195302~01.jpg

All in all its a much more fun to ride bike. I am still working out the map on the PowerTronic but below is small video of the free revving Motorcycle without any efforts to reduce drag ( I am 6'1" and weigh in at 96kgs). I find the outcome to be well worth it. Will do an actual speed run sometime with rolling acceleration in 5th and top end cruising etc. Waiting for my ported cylinder head with bigger valves.

For now here's a casual video.

talmage, roger20, dcoop and 8 others like this.
  14. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QLD is cutting back spending on health services, so that should help the economy.
    Dool likes this.
  15. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeh, It would be a lot if they had all worn out and needed replacement, luckily most of those are inspect, adjust, and replace if it showing unusual wear, unevenly worn, heavily worn, or leaking. Here's the list of items that are mandatory replacement at 6000 miles. It reminded me to have a go at my brake fluid before long.
    Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Pipe (?), Hydrolic Fluid - F/R
    From past experience and helpful posts, I will be replacing the clutch and throttle cable regardless this go around and will keep the originals in place as handy spares.
  16. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very smart-looking bike! Love the colour scheme! Any more info on the tubeless conversion: I did one on my Bonneville as the rims had the safety hump and the conversion was 100% A Good Thing, but the grown-ups advise me against taking chances on rims with no safety humps. How much were your rims, where from, how much weight savings compared to the OEM rims?
    dcoop and little ackman like this.
  17. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My clutch cable and throttle cable have oiled each time I have changed the oil. 24000km and still good.:clap
    little ackman and zefnerd like this.
  18. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    No it will cost more if covid takes hold. Unless they are thinking they would die and not need to go into ICU. That would save money. Latte-rial thinking I am sure.:scratch
  19. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    I think we have problems in Kiwi Land, nothing compared to you poor guys. I am surprised it works or does it not? :photog
  20. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    I hope they are better made than the last attempt. Well at least you wont need to go the hospital for radiation treatment just go and visit the port when the subs in. Better still use it for charging electric cars. Could do a whole state in a an hour.:scratch:norton
    dcoop likes this.