Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Green power with pedals. The future!!!:photog
    little ackman and Dool like this.
  2. Fellside

Fellside n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the all the replies on the rear brake reservoir relocation issue.

I had a fresh look at the problem in daylight and not my poorly lit garage. I trimmed a little off the back of the reservoir where it was touching the Rectifier and adjusted (bent) the welded tab on the frame. It now fits without the Givi extension bracket and there is a small amount of clearance all round.
    jcw64, JustinP and zefnerd like this.
  3. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    What a great trip, some pictures would be great thanks. Himmas rule.:y0!
    zefnerd likes this.
  4. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    I can just imagine it, not nice at all. The trots would a big problem.
  5. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your missed trip. Just for fun I compared a garmin InReach plus's battery to the motorcycle's, they are 3.1 Ah vs 8 Ah respectfully. I don't know which Garmin you have, but if it tried to charge for a couple days I can see it killing a battery.
    There are some previous attempts as isolating the issue that are listed in this owners thread, the result was, if I recall correctly, was that a normal Himalayan has a parasitic draw of about 6-7 mAh. With our 8 Ah battery in top condition, that's 48-55 days before 100% dead not including its self-discharge rate. That should theoretically provide a good 20-30 days between starts on a fully charged battery in top condition. I replaced my battery last November and keep it on a battery tender. I have left it out for 3 weeks un-tendered and it started fine though I was a bit nervous.
    Besides treating a trickle/solar charger as normal, I don't know of better alternatives. It seems this is not unusual for modern bikes.
  6. MadMotoMods

MadMotoMods Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    These Rims are imported from South East Asia and are sold by a Customising Shop in Mumbai, India (HDT customs). They costed me 23k INR (USD 310-320).
    I have used a combination of Outex and Marine grade sealant. The sealant was used on all the spoke nipples and cured for 48 hours, after which we applied the Outex kit on top.
    Here's a picture of the rim after the sealant + Outex dots for the nipples.

IMG_20210705_120048.jpg

These Rims are in total 5.4 kgs lighter than stock. Plus the removal of the heavy duty Tube is an added benefit.
  7. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Handy info. Very similar technique to how I did my Bonnie. I guess that's the same HDT Customs that have a YouTube channel?
    MadMotoMods likes this.
  8. MadMotoMods

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's the one.
    dcoop likes this.
  9. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Normally change the brake fluid every 2 years but how many do it with synthetic fluid these days?. As for the other stuff i would just inspect.
    jcw64 likes this.
  10. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Like what you've done without making stand out except for the wheels. Why didn't you go for the full Delkevic system?. The Euro 4 downpipe still has a Cat fitted.
    Dool likes this.
  11. MadMotoMods

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    And in context to the straight pipe, 100% import duty on whatever I order.
    Doctor T likes this.
  12. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Just checking my camping gear for a 3 night stay in the New Forrest. I know it's only an hour and a half down the road but a break is what i need. Of course, there are the traditional English pub and villages on the doorstep. Also, the site being in the middle of the Forrest, you are surrounded by the wildlife. One place ive always wanted to visit is the Sammy Miller motorbike museum. Sammy is in his nineties now still rides his own private course every day. The man is a true Legend in the UK bike world. https://sammymiller.co.uk/

The last time i stayed in the Forrest it was a totally back to nature site where there was nothing. Even had to dig your own latrine. I was woken each morning by a Pony that wanted my breakfast. In the afternoon i was surrounded by a flock of Sheep. I must be getting old as i need a proper toilet/shower and fresh water nearby.
    dcoop, Orinoco, jcw64 and 3 others like this.
  13. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of moisture meters around these days for a few bucks - just dip the prongs into the fluid and you get an instant reading of the water content, and instructions as to the requirement to replace.
    Not the last word, of course, but it is how service guys do it unless there is obvious contamination.
    dcoop, little ackman and Doctor T like this.
  14. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Not knowing the quality of the brake Dot 4 fluid that RE use i still prefer a peace of mind. OK, it must conform to DOT 4 regulations but not all DOT 4 fluids are the same quality just like engine oils which i won't start that topic again. For me, it's just as easy changing the fluid as buying a meter to test. Brake fluid is cheap in the UK. One ltr is only around £5 GBP.
  15. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:

Really like the rims. I much prefer the aluminum look over the blackout scheme. Just don’t want to spend the $.
    Doctor T and MadMotoMods like this.
  16. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to comment on the rims relative to their ability to take a lot of abuse off road, but then I looked again and saw the street tires. :-)
    JustinP likes this.
  17. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I measured the draw of the GPS (it is an old Nuvi 1350) and it was 0.2 amps so that was probably the culprit over and above the normal parasitic draw. My Hima is normally good for weeks with no charging.
  18. MadMotoMods

Oddometer:
    Those rims are definitely capable off-road this is the Himalayan of the owner of the shop I bought it from who uses the same set on his Himalayan as pictured below. For me, yeah, it's 90% on road so, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II is good for me. Screenshot_20210920-220347~01.jpg
  19. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to my manual, the list I posted was 'R' not 'I' or even 'I+R'. Misleading?
    zefnerd and Doctor T like this.
  20. Nortonbrian

Nortonbrian nortonbrian Supporter

Oddometer:
    wet weight?