Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking it's not consumption by the usual suspects because the bike doesn't have enough miles for that. I'm thinking crank case oil vapor getting sucked out the case and into the intake by way of the crank case ventilation plumbing.

Don't forget two right ways to check oil on these is on the center stand flat level ground two minutes after shut down and on the center stand fist thing in the morning. Gimme a day to dig up the pictures.
  2. air4life

air4life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, which would be expected on the type of runs this rider is putting their bike on.

3. B7ACKTHORN

B7ACKTHORN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gents, I have query if I may. Rambling through the manual, I did come across one interesting artifact, for a lack of a better term. :) "The Engine Oil Temperature Sensor" To my surprise I did find a thread posted along similar line in our forum debating the ambient temp vs IAT of the Himma. The post in our forum did indicate that the oil temp sensor was placed somewhere near the head. Now dissecting the head, I didn't find any sensor such as Oil Temp Sensor. Am I missing something here?

2018-09-22_2251.png

Cheers!
  4. Sriracha

Sriracha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That makes s new to me, given no other signs of problems. I’ve been checking oil level on the center stand on level concrete after the engine is cold. Anything I can or should do if it is going out the ventilation plumbing? Just keep an eye on the level and add as needed?
  5. Sriracha

Sriracha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    *makes sense to me... damn autocorrect.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    It's not a lot of oil considering the speed and mileages your knocking back. Just add as needed.

If you're the kind of guy that plans on keeping the bike for 40 or 50 years you could put some kind of crud cutter in the gas like Seafoam or Techron etc. from time to time. Heck you could even go all out and put a oil separator inline with the vent tube. There's some room under the air box.
  7. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I do believe the oil temperature sensor is threaded into the back of the head on the lower right.
  8. wolftrax

wolftrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely a 2 hour seat, rode from Burns Or to Bend Or and didn't stand once . Lots of room to change positions. [​IMG]

Sent from my Z558VL using Tapatalk
  9. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Ha, ha. I'd ride twice that far for a comfy bum.

Richarde1605 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Very way cool.

BTW any plans to turn Northwest North ?
    :1drink
  11. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    I gave it a thought, got kin in Ballard. Too many nights camping below freezing is forcing me to head south. The one farkle I didn't and should have installed is heated grips. I've never done a trip without them and never will again.

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Tall correct?
    Any forward slope issues?
    What the seat height now?
  13. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Yes it is the tall. I not sure exactly how much more it raises the seat height but I'm guessing 3". I still easily flat foot it with a 33" inseam. Also appreciate the additional leg room and the dreaded slope to the tank.

Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Just a quick trip update. The last 3 days have been all road days.
    Day 1 Missoula to McCall Idaho. Nice spirited trip over Lolo pass the south on Hwy 95 to McCall. 277 miles
    Day 2 McCall Idaho to Juniata Oregon. 246 miles
    Day 3 Juniata to Bend Or 193 miles.
    No bike issues at all. Been cruising comfortably at 5000 RPM or 62 mph whether it's flat uphill or into the wind. "Shimla" just seems happy at this speed.
    Only 600 miles to my venue at Yosemite and 4 days to get there so my daily mileage is tapering off and going to do some visits to some National Parks.
    There are a few folks who say this bike ain't built for touring. With over 8000 miles on mine and the last 3500 miles touring, I respectfully reply "BS"!
    I have traveled extensively on a CRF250L under similar conditions and prefer the RE for it's planted stable ride and the torque, enabling the bike to maintain consistent speeds.
    Still disappointed in the mpg's in windy conditions. The last 3 days have yielded 59.3 mpg.
    Just a few random shots from the last week.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. boatnut

boatnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found some great bags for the front racks... Rigg gear part number RG025R... come with a real nice tool roll included. Fit perfectly still leaving the Royal Enfield badge showing. Pics show the perfect fit of the 2Ltr Touratech gas/water bottles. $57 canadian each. What's that? $10US :).
    They have perfectly placed loops on the corners for attaching with zap straps....

20180922_192221.jpg 20180922_192303.jpg 20180922_192217.jpg 20180922_192234.jpg
  16. boatnut

boatnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Included high quality tool roll with each bag.. 20180922_192327.jpg
  17. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bags. What is the story with the little cook set canister thing below the bag? Is it attached to the header?
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    It is.

Up there they call 'em " Muff pots " ( muffler pot ) Handy for heating food.
  19. B7ACKTHORN

B7ACKTHORN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    E
    Do you mean to say the probe that is affixed on the right side on the cylinder head up above the clutch case? So, it reads the engine oil temperature and then signals the ECU accordingly, meaning ECU uses this sensor as its primary sensor baring the ambient temperature sensor underneath the seat which is solely for the dash unit.

Cheers!
  20. TheQ

TheQ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Gents,

I wonder if anyone has changed the exhaust and what his experience after the change is. I tried to get statements from Grunt, GPR, Termigoni in regards to their claims of x% improvement in power and torque but w/o success so far. Maybe those who already swapped can give first hand reviews?

Thanks & Cheers