Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    The choice is yours. The 2 wires running from the LED unit, one gives you an orange halo the other is a white halo.
    Yellow and black wires. As the standard headlamp is already earthed by the main bulb the black is not needed. The yellow is the power of the Halo. This is the one you want to connect to whichever Halo color you require. If you use the wrong wire the Halo up will not work.
    JustinP and ToasTje like this.
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stihl bar oil. Interesting...

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=stihl+bar...9772404&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_gpr2pudcz_e
    Doctor T likes this.
  3. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How are you giving it extra Fuel ? break in speeds are like other rules, to be broken:hmmmmm
    JustinP and Doctor T like this.
  4. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Stihl oil. i can only find a 1 ltr bottle and the cheapest is $20 whilst gearbox oil is $8 for 5ltrs. The Stihl oil is very light that would fly off easily, whilst car gearbox oil being 80/90w is heavy oil and sticks to moving parts more with less fling. Also am a cheapskate hence the gearbox oil.
    Except for one bike that was fitted with a Scott oiler ive used gearbox oil for over 40 years as chain lube. But like engine oil, everyone is free to use what they like.
  5. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Decisions, decisions. Chain lube or break in technique.. which rabbit hole to venture down today? :lol3
    bomber60015 and Dool like this.
  6. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why on earth would you give extra fuel to a cam with an o2 controlled fuel injection system which manages the air fuel ratio. More air equals leaner running so the computer sends more fuel.
    Dool and JustinP like this.
  7. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe the ECU does compensate and we dont need things like Power Boosters and Powertronics. Makes the Reprogrammable ECU that just came on the Market, seem like a waste of money, so I wont try selling you one!:-)
  8. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course the ECU compensates. To say it doesn't compensate is idiotic. It will keep the fuel ratio within the factor specs until the fuel injector can't pump enough fuel. I can tell you that yes a "powertronics" is a total waste of money and made my bike run almost as bad as my guzzi runs with its horrible mapping and ecu. No power gains, just added a check engine light. The factory ecu map doesn't run on an island, it uses sensors. Deleting these sensors like a powertronics or power booster isn't an improvement. It is just "upping the jet size in a dumb carb. for a whole lot more money.
    Dool likes this.
  9. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    Himalayans are Screw and locknut.
  10. 47025

Oddometer:
    The ECU on the Himalayan is designed to correct only within a certain map. Once you get out of that map it cannot compensate that far, thus the need for external devices.
    Eatmore Mudd, Dool and Doctor T like this.
  11. 47025

Oddometer:
    The ECU on the Himalayan is designed to correct only within a certain map. Once you get out of that map it cannot compensate that far, thus the need for external devices.
    Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  12. flintlock hunter

flintlock hunter n00b

Oddometer:
    Getting cold in Michigan I plan to ride till snow starts. Can I just remove battery or should I trickel charge for 5 months? Should I change oil? what should I do to the gas? Any advice would help. Winter is very long in Mich. I love this bike don't want to damage it. It will be in a non heated garage -20f degs. is common in my area. Thanks IMG_20210823_131335.jpg
  13. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:

https://www.gripstuds.com/

:D
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    You can leave the battery out but get an intelligent charger. Hint: don't leave it plugged in for weeks on end. after 2 weeks or so leave it unplugged for a while. If left on all the time it may ruin the battery cells. Give the engine a run every now and then. Change the engine oil after the winter. It may be worth draining the fuel from the tank and run the bike until the fuel is out of the system. If it gets that cold, get some old Army wool blankets and wrap the bike in them. I've never stored a bike for the winter as i ride all year round but these are the tips ive been given if i did.
    CaptainTrips likes this.
  15. LHRider

LHRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don’t overthink this. Put StaBil or equivalent in fuel tank. Plug into smart charger. No further fuss required. In dry, cold Idaho my bikes fire right up in the spring.
    dcoop, HaveACuppaTea, zefnerd and 2 others like this.
  16. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And if i leave that map I would have running issues and plugs fouling or being too lean valves burning etc. i do not so obviously I remain in the parameters of the map. Only way to fix mapping is to remap the ecu or replace the ecu with one that you can. Powertronics is a sad joke of a company as is the power booster. They simply throw more fuel at the system and of course more fuel doesn’t mean more power in 90 percent of your riding and in fact you get the opposite result but it does line the pockets of snake oil salesmen. If that is what you are looking for great but I've never had a bike that ran much better or had any power gains from one of those style products. It is more of a band aid fix then anything.
    Dool likes this.
  17. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree with the stable and filling the tank. I ride all winter long and sadly they are mostly short commute rides so the oil does become an issue. I block off my oil cooler with a metal shield and still I build condensate into my engines since they infrequently get to temps that would turn the water to steam and send it out the exhaust. If your fall riding falls into that category an oil change might be in order. Have a look under the cap or on the sight glass and see if you have a tan frothy mess. Of course if you are close to an oil change I would do it as well just to have fresh oil and less deposits in there but if not close I wouldn't do it unless it looked frothy. As was stated a trickle charger no, a smart charger that turns on and off yes. If you really want to go all out for a long storage you can take the plug out and put a little oil in the top of the piston.
  18. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I charge periodically during the winter, but the Hima will drain the battery more than other bikes I have owned, so I would charge it every couple of weeks. If you can find it, fill the tank with zero ethanol gas.
  19. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bar oil is used in chainsaws. It is sticky to prevent it from being flung off in your face. But like you, I use 80/90w gear oil. I am still using up my supply from the 80s when I owned heavy machinery. :D
  20. mhrutter

mhrutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently heard this advice for storing a bike in an unheated cement floor garage: park the bike on a piece of carpet scrap, it will protect the bike from the moisture that is always in the cement floor.
    dcoop, Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.