Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure about your market timing on introducing an ECU piggyback for a Himalayan, but good luck on your endeavor. Also hope your hardware provider is handling your regulatory regs (electrical, radio interference, CARB Id) for you so you can focus on support, regulations are interesting but not fun if the goal is hobby level.
    Dool likes this.
  2. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Timing is probably as good as it gets, this is no Piggy Back, it's a replacement ECU that is programmable and I doubt it has passed any interference tests.
    zefnerd, Doctor T and BillMcQuade like this.
  3. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi - found this if its any help
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27190658...7779&msclkid=cf0bff2987691dd35c6d9e66dab59381

which stats in the blurb - AS USED BUY THE NATIONAL VINTAGE TRACTOR CLUB MEMBERS - which might give you an option of where to try for straight 90wt.
    Doctor T and Kiwithl like this.
  4. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New owner, longtime lurker on this thread. In Boise Idaho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe that it was Suzuki who use to state in the manuals.. Lubricate rear chain - brush with engine/gear oil before each ride...

I must admit that I have used waste oil before now if i did not have any lube handy... Really liked the PJI chain lube back in the day and the old pan on your mothers stove to soak the old style chains. but after using my first scottoiler i was just hooked...
    My early VFR had the behind the numberplate resivour and its was truly a fit and forget for a six months, or longer...

I know straight oils are cheaper but not sure cheaper per (road only) chain mile. £100/120 for a VFR750 chain set and, genuinely, 50,000 miles+ on my first chain which I only changed as heading back to France/Italy for a three month hoilday and just thought it was a good idea, just in case, to change it.

View attachment 3209089

Second chain was 60,000+ and counting when I sold the bike. I have owned many many motorcycles but only the VFR's (and a CX500 with over 90,000 miles on its CMA mag wheels, but as that is shaft... not so relavent to chain milage :-)) have been long term/high milage.

Used to rider marshal enduros back in the day and the only scott oiler type thing i had considered was lube tube with a petcock on it... Slap oil all over it each time you go was the norm or just realise that, fully of road, the chain is as disposable as the tyres
    Doctor T likes this.
  6. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subtle is over rated. Brashness gets the point across.
  7. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    GL1 and GL5 are API service categories. If I remember correctly these are cumulative in the sense that GL5 would include all previous standards (GL1 to GL4) like JASO MA vs JASO MA2 it is a higher standard.
    Kiwithl likes this.
  8. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the mood to tinker. Someone please remind what increasing TPS voltage (vs decreasing it) actually does.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    increase TPS voltage is richer as the ecu thinks the throttle is open further, decrease voltage=leaner.
    dcoop and CaptainTrips like this.
  10. Solera

Solera Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool!, a replacement ECU is the best way to go. Never really liked piggy-backs, more connectors to play up. As far as compliance testing or what have you goes, ha!. Just ask for the appropriate sticker. Any interference can't be any worse than those damn switching wall-wart/plug-packs that everyone has a gazillion of, and those little on bike USB chargers, they aren't too clean either and I bet none of those have been tested. Besides being a vehicle ECU I would expect its got enough filtering and protection designed in for its own sake that it's unlikely to cause external problems, and unless your pacemaker is in your bum nothing should be close enough to it anyway.

I'm 6 months away from end of warranty, if I still have the bike I'll be doing some more intrusive upgrades and would be interested in this here device if you are looking at going that way.
    Doctor T, little ackman and Dool like this.
  11. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carb bikes have a TPS too, so they probably only effect the ignition map / advance.
    So, if you think you need more advance not that hard to work out which way to turn it.
    Doctor T likes this.
  12. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will run an 477 BB kit but it needs more fuel. Had a PT that was faulty ran better than the stock fueling on map 2 but not would allow to increase the fueling. Getting a replacement form PT. :y0! Still needed more fuel low down so Dools new ecu may be the answer.
    Dool likes this.
  13. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Please post results.
    little ackman and Dool like this.
  14. Dool

Oddometer:
    I have just started testing the new FuelX unit , connected to the O2 sensor circuit.
    On the first run it supplied enough extra fuel to run my 477, not as effective as the Powertronic piggy back but good enough, although at the cost of about 300 shipped it is less than 50 bucks cheaper than the Reprogrammable ECU.
  15. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Himma club. Enjoy the new ride.:y0!
    Dread likes this.
  16. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Hima is developing a fueling or ignition glitch. At around 3k rpm the engine will occasionally cut out for a moment. It seems to be related to throttle position but it is not consist enough to be repeatable. In second or third gear it will manifest it self as a moment where the ignition just seems to cut out. But a couple of times yesterday, it would just stall the engine when pulling away from a stop.

I am running a PT with the supplied PT maps unaltered right now on map 2. I suspect that it might be the TPS but I think I will bypass the PT first and remove the lambda pig tail to restore stock ECU functionality to see if the problem continues. Any advice on testing the TPS?
    Dool likes this.
  17. Dool

Oddometer:
    When you disonnect the Lambda pigtail it will be forced to Trim with the O2 sensor, what if you try that first. Just saying because mine was Faulty , I cut off the cover and found that the wire had not been soldered properly and it intermittently made full contact.
    TPS test would be on Youtube
    CaptainTrips likes this.
  18. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
  19. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the name of the oiler? Where did you buy?
  20. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    The one most shops sell is Cobrra Nemo 2, These sell for around £85GBP but others under different names are the same unit but a lot cheaper.£25GBP. Mine is called Gidibll universal oiler. They can be bought from ebay and aliexpress. Aliexpress sell them the cheapest if you don't mind waiting
    View attachment 3210553