Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. zefnerd

zefnerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeh, Timing wise, I was thinking about how the latest Euro5 compliant bikes have a much different ECU setup, a reason boosterPlug is bowing out and perhaps why PowerTronixECU introduced the FuelX and needed a special version for the 2021 Himalayan.
    I doubt electrically the ECU replacement could cause that much trouble, but it malfunctioning could be a problem for the engines health. Just my view, the various certifications just tend to ensure a certain level of dependability on the design side.
    Dool likes this.
  2. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

Attached Files:

3. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is also GIDIBII Nemo 2 bought from AliExpress.
  4. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Reprogrammable ECU does not support the newest Bs6/Euro5 models and yes they are served by FuelX and probably little else ATM.
    Booster plug pulling out makes me worry that the AIT sensor is hidden, I havent seen one yet.
    But for the Models before, this ECU is just what the Doctor ordered, to say it is Revolutionary may be a step too far:hide but if you want to go past "Piggy Backs" and "Cheats" Then being able to change the ECU is a Dream.:lift
    Or maybe not? Im not too concerned about the engines health otherwise I wouldnt opening it up so often:-)
  5. wfrpalm

wfrpalm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man the gauges fogging up sucks.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  6. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, got mine replaced under warranty at 500 miles and now at 2600 miles and are fogging up again.
  7. RheinGold

RheinGold Weniger aber besser.

Oddometer:
    Lets talk electrical output.
    I want to add two fog lights to my 2021 Himi. I also use a GPS and heated jacket. When not riding it's usually on a trickle charger.
    I think the alternator puts out only 110W. Is that AFTER powering the bike's spark plug, lights, ABS, etc.?
    How many watts do you think I can draw without killing the battery.
    And, what's the best gauge for the LED lights' wires? I'm thinking 16Ga.
  8. Scottyhumbucker

Scottyhumbucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:happay
    Mine runs better with the Hitchcock’s cam and air box mod. Noticed more wakey wakey in the middle RPM range and better acceleration. I’m now pissing and moaning more about the brakes. This is one of those bikes that it just never ends. Wife asked “Are you happy now?” LOL
  9. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't looked at the lambda pigtail yet, but I did test the TPS. Seems fine and voltages are within spec, currently just under 6v. I thought about playing with this, but the PT is calibrated to the TPS open and closed positions manually, so would it make any difference what voltages the TPS is using if the PT is recalibrated for it anyway?

I did notice that the map that I am currently using jumps the ignition advance from 0/2 to 7 in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range and throttle openings that I am experiencing the issue with. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I wonder if I should smooth this out.
  10. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    7 seems high in that area though I doubt it would cause an intermittent fault. You have nothing to lose by dropping that advancement, the 462 map would have no extra advancement there.
  11. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that is a estimate of the power free after running the ignition/injection/ lights/ABS, etc. But only an estimate, there are simply to many variables to give an accurate figure.
    LEDs don't draw much power so 16g cable is not essesential, and the wires on the lamps themselves can be quite light gauge. But lighter wire is not always easy to find, and stock 1/4" auto size terminals do not always work that well with smaller wires.
    So if all you have is 16g wire and 1/4" / 6.3 mm terminals, fine, but if you have to buy everything in and can wait there are plenty of kits out there with three sizes of crimp terminals and crimp pliers to suit, and you are probably going to need the smaller terminals sometime anyway----!
    Doctor T likes this.
  12. Scottyhumbucker

Scottyhumbucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question for my fellow inmates... I’ve got the Eastern Beaver harness for my GPS... for those of you that have done this install, where did you choose to tap in for power for key on ? Taillight? Somewhere else?
  13. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree restore the original first and go from there. Hope the PT is not faulty as mine was.
    Doctor T likes this.
  14. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also comes down to the unit being assembled correctly!:-)
    zefnerd likes this.
  15. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I run 2 x 10W LED spots as daylight lamps so on all the time. Along with these, i have a LED headlamp, GPS, and Phone running all the time. Above tick over my meter still shows 14.2 Volts.
    With a heated jacket, i think you will be OK as others on here have heated clothing. With the LED spots, 16GA wire is not needed as the Volts/Amps are low.
  16. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used posi-tap connectors and the tail light as a trigger for the relay. Power was directly from the battery.
    bomber60015, jcw64 and JustinP like this.
  17. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Put 500+ miles on this weekend. Celebrated her 1000 mile anniversary at one of my favorite scenic lookouts, Mt. Utsayantha. Got in a lot of Section 1 and 2 of the NEBDR this trip, and putted around backroads of PA to meet a friend in Wellsboro. The smile/$$ ratio of this bike can't be beat.

w1.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

And of course I had to play in the mud to get around a downed tree. I'll be glad when these tires burn out and I can replace them with something a hair better in the mud. They magically turn into slicks as soon as you see mud.

w3.jpg

w2.jpg
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Not so much higher standards but higher numbers for different standards.

Example: GL-5. GL-5 is the bees knees in differentials but not such a good idea in transmissions ( brass bushings and synchro blocking rings) It has phosphorus in it. Phosphorus does not play well with yellow metals like brass.

MA-MA2. MA2 has less ZDDP in it than MA. I'm down to my last jug of MA
  19. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd have to agree with that. Looks like you had some great travelling. I've added Barkbusters and considering crash bars, what brand do you have, they look robust without adding a lot of width.

Did some backroad putting also along with some fall colors viewing, great fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    modiorne, JustinP and zefnerd like this.
  20. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    I went with the Givi. I like the 3 point mounting, great protection. And they don't interfere with any maintenance (oil changes, valve adjustment etc). I have not hung them up on anything yet.

Great shot! What seat pad is that? I need something between my arse and the sticky rubber.