Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, good info. With the genteel roads I favor, not sure if crash bars are necessary. Mostly trying to not spend a bunch of $$. The seatpad is one cut from a whole sheepskin my wife bought at a yard sale for $5. I've gotten about a dozen custom sized seatpads out of it over the years.
    JustinP likes this.
  2. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was the only item I splurged on. Primarily because I looked at it on Amazon, and and ad popped up that said "this item can be free if you get approved for an Amazon credit card". So here we are, I have the crash bars, and a credit card to cancel :D. Everything else on the bike has been cheap. Re-used some old Aerostich tank panniers for the back, a Chinese drybag and $20 "barkbusters" from Amazon etc.

I keep finding myself on rocky sections I lack the skill for, and I'm gonna eventually have it falling over on a sharp boulder :lol3. So I consider the crash bars fairly cheap insurance.
    modiorne and little ackman like this.
  3. O6 Himmy

O6 Himmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm the noob....how does thing work?

Waiting for the wit and sarcasm to come my way....
    Dool likes this.
  4. RheinGold

RheinGold Weniger aber besser.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Beemerboff! Good to know it's AVAILABLE power AFTER running the ignition, etc. I actually have 18ga wire that I will use. Ride safe!
  5. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, you insert the key, turn it, push the starter button, pull the clutch, click it into gear, rev it up, aim the thing, and let the clutch out. ;-)

BTW, is the thing really an '06?
    Doctor T, O6 Himmy and Dool like this.
  6. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Following the front tire... Hopefully... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I bought mine there back in late 2018. Nice folks.
    BGRooster1 likes this.
  7. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe HE is the O6 (Navy Captain) which makes him Captain Himmy, to your Captain Trips.

Wit and sarcasm... he asked for it!
    CaptainTrips, O6 Himmy and JustinP like this.
  8. O6 Himmy

O6 Himmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn...that was a quick pick up.

It is O6 vs 06...good catch modiorne
    CaptainTrips and JustinP like this.
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where the moisture is getting in?
  10. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    Relays for everything.
    Beemerboff likes this.
  11. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Free is a very good price :lol2. $167 for the Givis isn't bad compared to the $383 for the SRC moto guards that have come up. Although I suspect there may be good reason for the price difference and the SRC are made here in Oregon, maybe a birthday gift from the wifey.
    All of my luggage is also from the re-use category, even knocked the dust off the Garmin 76csx, so no stink eye from the CFO yet, but we'll see how the winter tinkering season goes.
    CaptainTrips and JustinP like this.
  12. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a seal all the way around the face plate but I think changes in barometric pressure just get past it. I am pretty they are assembled in a high humidity environment.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  13. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Personally I thought the SRC moto guards were overkill and also too wide. I think the Givi's are the right compromise of size/weight vs protection for this bike.
  14. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK where is my moniker from?
  15. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    This just in from California:

"As amended, the new reg states that model year 1996 or newer vehicles with an ECU that’s not approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) will automatically fail the California biennial smog check."

"As of July 19th, 2021, the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) is expanding the smog check test to accommodate the regulation. The new procedure will check that each ECU is running factory software or a CARB-approved ECU tune. If the vehicle is running software that does not meet these criteria, it will fail the smog check. A failure means that the vehicle can not be registered or renewed until the ECU is brought into compliance."
    Dool likes this.
  16. ToasTje

ToasTje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also givi bars here.

Installed the LED headlight yesterday, it's a lot thinner then the stock one. So the brackets to secure the headlight in the casing were too short. Luckily the headlight had several rises where I could insert the brackets.
    The 2 wires were indeed for a yellow or white halo but if I connect the one for yellow, the normal headlight shines less bright then with the white halo. Just after turning them on they work OK but then they turn dimmer.

Is it possible to add some wires through the grommet of the headlight casing? I would like to add my LED spots to the connections so everything turns on with the same button.
    Also the wires supplied with the spots are on the short side, how do I make the connections secure from water ingress and such?

Yesterday I almost got scooped up by a combine harvester :kurt
    It's just such a weird junction there. There is also a side street on the right, just behind that house. Luckily I knew that and came up slow. Don't know who was spooked the most, me or that farmer.
    Dool likes this.
  17. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    Several of you folks have mentioned an intake accessory from Hitchcock’s. A search of their 90s vintage website fails to turn anything up … I’m sure I’m just not using the right search term … to quote Bill Murray, lil help?
    Dool likes this.
  18. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your beyond help
    JustinP and bomber60015 like this.
  19. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the more reason for a Replacement ECU ? California killed the Kawasaki Triple or is that just a tale:-)
    little ackman likes this.
  20. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    You ain’t wrong ;)
    Dool and JustinP like this.