Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, it's been quite a while since I've been on. Looks like people are doing some awesome stuff with their bikes. I FINALLY got around to adjusting my tappets after the move and found on the first adjustment that both intake and exhaust were quite tight. Here's to hoping I wasn't accidentally at TDC on the exhaust stroke.... Has anyone else encountered this? I couldn't even get feeler gauges from the tight end of the adjustment range under the adjustment screw.

After getting everything tied up I went to start her up and nothing would switch on. Measured the voltage on the battery and, what do you know, 4.4V... Have a new one on the way and I'm hoping it's JUST a battery issue and not a parasitic draw of some sort.

That seat concepts seat looks great! I'll have to get one ordered soon. I'm torn between the high and standard, because I could definitely use the high just fine, but kind of like that the standard keeps the look a bit more. Any other advantages to a higher seat other than a less extreme angle for your knees?

On another note, I know a lot of people have been making their own, but has anyone found a decent source for crash bars? The RE Fort Worth engine guards look decent, but I'd like the guards to help catch the bike a bit so it's not all up to the handlebars and footpegs.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up to anyone in South Florida either looking to buy an Enfeild or in need of service/parts. K&G Cycles in Homestead FL is now a dealer. I went in to see the new Hima and met the business owner. Seems knowledgeable about the brand and was very personable as well as enthusiastic. He had 4 examples on the floor when I visited.
  3. B7ACKTHORN

B7ACKTHORN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello TQ, welcome to the boards. I do have a free flow slip on installed for the past two months, the bike itself is apparently five months old. My experience has been positive, well, to an extent. I've felt a mild lag post 3.2k RPM where the power plateaus and then kicks in slowly when WOT. This parody is completely gone and the power delivery is smooth all the way till the red line, she pulls with urgency, linearly and predictable. The choppy power delivery with the standard exhaust is completely gone.

Though I'm loving the sound, it can be quite irritating on long rides where the throttle is partial to WOT and the sound just puttering in your ears constantly is a sucker, both with the DB killer on and off, perhaps the muffler design also plays a role. Nonetheless, all the free flow slip-ons are quite irritating post a couple of hours or WOT riding. Gets the attention, mind you that's a BIG plus in my books.
    Well, it can be just mine, but I've been observing my gas mileage is taking a hit, at least noticeably. The fuel sensor itself is dodgy in the first place, but I've seen my needle bottoming out pretty fast post the slip on installation.

Rest is good for now.

Cheers!
  4. TheQ

TheQ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your feedback - which brand is it you bought?
  5. B7ACKTHORN

B7ACKTHORN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Red Rooster, a home brewn brand.

Cheers!
    Matt TwoTired likes this.
  6. Retro Iron

Retro Iron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both tappets were a bit tight on the first check and the intake was again on the tight side at future checks - but not by much. (Ya should be able to wiggle ‘em with yer fingers if yer on the right stroke) The process goes pretty quickly now - this thing is simple to get into. No battery issues - the longest she’s sat between rides is two weeks.

I’m personally leaning towards trying the high version of that seat just to get a little more flex in the old knees. Not too concerned with aesthetics at this stage of my riding “career” :D
  7. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear someone else had their tappets tighten. It's my first time adjusting valves and I'm thoroughly paranoid even at my comfortable baseline (oil changes still have me checking under my cars for about a week or two after) so of course everything is the end of the world at this point. I guess once I get my new battery she'll let me know how her valves are feeling when I fire her up. Mine sat with no start-ups for about 2 months, probably more, so the battery thing isn't a massive surprise. Especially given others' experiences.

I've decided ditto on the seat. My knees aren't particularly old, but they're not particularly good, either. I'll likely put in an order in a week or so and can share my impressions.
    Retro Iron likes this.
  8. Bojer

Bojer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bill Cairns went to the effort of putting his bike on a dyno after fitting an exhaust - basically it seems if you want more noise it's ok but gives no more and possibly less power than standard -
    Bradster49 likes this.
  9. wolftrax

wolftrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing a bit of maintenance today on both the bike and my body. I've been riding everyday for the last 13 days so a bit of a break is in order. Had my first failure on the trip, blown tail light. Just for those thinking about a new Seat Concepts tall, here's a better view with my luggage off.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Z558VL using Tapatalk
  10. Retro Iron

Retro Iron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks a little wider, too. I’m liking it more. Has it caused you to lean forward much more on the bars? I’d hate to get a nicer ride in the seat and knees only to get a neck ache from a “lower” bar position.
  11. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Yes it does a bit more of a lean forward but haven't noticed any problems. I will be fitting a set of Rox risers on when I get home so I can get it dialed in perfectly.

Eatmore Mudd and Retro Iron like this.
  12. TheQ

TheQ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bojer for pointing me at this video - from Bill´s comment I´d say the money is better spent in gas for trips or any other meaningful accessory.
    Bradster49 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So aproxapproxim 34.5" seat height now with a nice narrow nose. That's perfect and probably the better height for most. My DR was 35" and I have a 29" inseam. Worked great. My WRR is 36" and I notice the extra inch.

This seat height will provide some great knee bend comfort for the long haul.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Anyone going to update their rear seat section too? I ride with my daughter.
  15. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let us know the exact model and part# for the Risers. I have been wanting some myself.
  16. B7ACKTHORN

B7ACKTHORN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's right. Personally, it's not a bad idea to spend money on exhaust, after all a little sound that gets the attention is not bad at all, but at the expense of gas mileage and the exhaust note which irritates post 20 mins into the ride. I am no tuner tom, but the experience with a slip on has been good so far at least with respect to linear power delivery. Any gains experienced from the exhaust w.r.t. HP bump, zilch. But has the bike able to rev more freely and get to the meat of the band easier, a definite yes.

I alway say, do what suits you best.

Cheers!
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  17. DeltaT

DeltaT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same. My dealer said mine was the first bike they've had that needed adjustments at first service, but I've heard of a few others from here and the FB group since.
  18. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Will do

19. chArj_Himalayan

chArj_Himalayan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My thought as well,

Try checking your air filter, the crank case pressure at those speeds can draw in oil.... something I was warned about by my dealer. I usually cruise at around 60mph and the I have never had to top off oil, I have over 3000 miles now.
  20. mxz

mxz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought the Grunt V3 from Greasehouse in India. (I belive it's called Indimotard). Chatted to them over their FB page, they responded, invoiced me via PayPal and shipped real fast.

Other than requiring a little bit of copper grease under the gasket (some air was coming through the gasket seal) it fit fine, is much lighter than stock and sounds great. Louder, but not stupidly loud. Also it does not stain like the stock. That just got eww brown after a week.
    Matt TwoTired and B7ACKTHORN like this.