Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. kokomoto

kokomoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a Hima post at all, but I came across a deal on a barn find 1967 Triumph TR6R that I could not refuse. I mean, who doesn't like vintage Triumph twins? Supposed to pick it up later this week after the original 1967 title gets sorted out by the DMV.

Does anyone have any vintage Triumph knowledge or advice? It has a dented fuel tank that will need a fresh paint job, the engine will be torn down, and the frame, new gaskets, seals, fluids. What have I done? :-)

End of hijack.

IMG_0536.JPG
    Retro Iron, Richarde1605 and air4life like this.
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good, trials uni on the back, and a barn, what could possibly go wrong?
    I look forward to the head to head with the re inter! Enquiring minds

:-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  3. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I restored a '68 TR6R a few years ago. Prepare to start losing money:D
  4. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going out to a local establishment this weekend. Haven't been there yet but it looks promising. Do some riding in the hills then sit around the campfire in the evening and have a craft beer. Would could be better. Come join us if you like. I will be there Saturday night. http://www.lillypadhopyardbrewery.com/ Good reviews from Google, and it's less then an hour away!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. spattiselanno

spattiselanno n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone!
    Will be taking delivery of my Himalayan in a month or so; bike is currently undergoing homologation. Hoping to learn more from this group! (:

Attached Files:

6. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum. Awesome first post!
    Coopdway and Richarde1605 like this.
  7. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Man, I had to look up that definition: Homologation (from the verb homologate, meaning "to approve or confirm officially") is the process of certifying or approving a product to indicate that it meets regulatory standards and specifications, such as safety and technical requirements.
  8. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Where you located?
  9. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    AA0DF3FC-1423-4478-A471-BF685655C5E5.jpeg Hello . I’m new here, I’ve had my snow Himalayan since the beginning of September.
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I see you packed the essentials,nice.

Welcome Asylum.
    Richarde1605, MrDralas and Retro Iron like this.
  11. Retro Iron

Retro Iron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, don’t know if you’ll learn much from this group but you’re gonna improve the vocabulary around here for sure :clap
  12. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Does any one have the part number for the tool used to adjust the valves? This is the first time I’ve owned some thing that doesn’t just take a flat blade.
  13. LuckyPete

LuckyPete n00b

Oddometer:
    For those in the USA, how did you mount your license plate? The holes on the Himalayan license plate bracket don't match up with the holes on a standard US license plate. I'd like something more permanent than zip ties.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you call jamie at speed deluxe in chatanuga tn she has them in stock and they are worth the price of admission and will save you a valve job in the end trying to use caveman tools. I have one still in the package if you dont find the tool i can take a photo. Capt Gary
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  15. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:

I know what you mean, I used a ruler and found the Center of the stock holes marked it and then the distance of the plate holes and measured from the Center out marked them and drilled new ones.

Thanks capt. Gary, I’ll have to give them a call and see if they will give me the part number or if they will ship it. I was lucky and my valves didn’t need adjusting at the 300 mile mark.

Attached Files:

Retro Iron and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  16. Ironhorse 332

Ironhorse 332 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It must depend on the State. Pennsylvania plates matched up.
  17. LuckyPete

LuckyPete n00b

Oddometer:
  18. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    It took a whole of 15 mins maybe, it is kinda weird how small the plates are......at least in Texas. Back in Canada the plates are a bit larger.
  19. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I feared I think I loosened my valves way too much. Anyone have any input on how much valve noise is TOO much valve noise? I think I'm going to swing by a dealer to have them adjusted by someone who knows what they're doing. Unfortunately if I'm not doing it I'm not learning. I think a valve adjuster tool might help, because I did not feel confident using a wrench and pliers. I'm wondering if I was TDC on the exhaust stroke causing me to greatly loosen the exhaust while the intake was alright. Cause that exhaust seemed SUPER tight. Also depending on the angle I was holding the feeler gauge at it felt like it had just enough pull, then other times it felt like it was gliding under the tappet with almost no pull. Any tips are helpful!

In other news I pulled the trigger on the tall seat concepts seat with the back cover as well. I'll post pics once I get everything, but I think their lead time is fairly long right now.
    Retro Iron and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  20. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a bolt on the front of the engine that you can remove to line up the tdc mark with no guess work it's on the front of the engine just above the oil drain plate left side
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.