Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    AA0DF3FC-1423-4478-A471-BF685655C5E5.jpeg Hello . I’m new here, I’ve had my snow Himalayan since the beginning of September.
  2. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I see you packed the essentials,nice.

Welcome Asylum.
    Richarde1605, MrDralas and Retro Iron like this.
  3. Retro Iron

Retro Iron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, don’t know if you’ll learn much from this group but you’re gonna improve the vocabulary around here for sure :clap
  4. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Does any one have the part number for the tool used to adjust the valves? This is the first time I’ve owned some thing that doesn’t just take a flat blade.
  5. LuckyPete

LuckyPete n00b

Oddometer:
    For those in the USA, how did you mount your license plate? The holes on the Himalayan license plate bracket don't match up with the holes on a standard US license plate. I'd like something more permanent than zip ties.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you call jamie at speed deluxe in chatanuga tn she has them in stock and they are worth the price of admission and will save you a valve job in the end trying to use caveman tools. I have one still in the package if you dont find the tool i can take a photo. Capt Gary
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:

I know what you mean, I used a ruler and found the Center of the stock holes marked it and then the distance of the plate holes and measured from the Center out marked them and drilled new ones.

Thanks capt. Gary, I’ll have to give them a call and see if they will give me the part number or if they will ship it. I was lucky and my valves didn’t need adjusting at the 300 mile mark.

Attached Files:

Retro Iron and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  8. Ironhorse 332

Ironhorse 332 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It must depend on the State. Pennsylvania plates matched up.
  9. LuckyPete

LuckyPete n00b

Oddometer:
  10. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    It took a whole of 15 mins maybe, it is kinda weird how small the plates are......at least in Texas. Back in Canada the plates are a bit larger.
  11. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I feared I think I loosened my valves way too much. Anyone have any input on how much valve noise is TOO much valve noise? I think I'm going to swing by a dealer to have them adjusted by someone who knows what they're doing. Unfortunately if I'm not doing it I'm not learning. I think a valve adjuster tool might help, because I did not feel confident using a wrench and pliers. I'm wondering if I was TDC on the exhaust stroke causing me to greatly loosen the exhaust while the intake was alright. Cause that exhaust seemed SUPER tight. Also depending on the angle I was holding the feeler gauge at it felt like it had just enough pull, then other times it felt like it was gliding under the tappet with almost no pull. Any tips are helpful!

In other news I pulled the trigger on the tall seat concepts seat with the back cover as well. I'll post pics once I get everything, but I think their lead time is fairly long right now.
    Retro Iron and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  12. Capt. Gary

Oddometer:
    There is a bolt on the front of the engine that you can remove to line up the tdc mark with no guess work it's on the front of the engine just above the oil drain plate left side
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. kokomoto

kokomoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to search around a bit to find a good set of feeler gauges with the metric ones that I needed.
  14. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I used that, but it can indicate TDC on both the compression and exhaust stroke, if I'm not mistaken. I used a .10 mm feeler gauge on the intake and .25 mm feeler gauge on the exhaust. I think it was more in my method and the potential that I was on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke so the rocker arm was pushing down entirely on the exhaust valve. Either way I think a second hack at it is in store. Anyone have tips for not spilling gas all over? The initial attempt was with an empty fuel tank, so I didn't have to worry about it.
  15. Capt. Gary

Oddometer:
    Tdc will be when both valves are just starting to move
  16. Retro Iron

Oddometer:
    I just centered up the plate and redrilled the plastic.
  17. Retro Iron

Oddometer:
    Go back to post #1669 from Jbek and a couple others in that general range, should be helpful to you. Also, you can purchase the on-line Service Manual which is also a great help. Don’t give up. It’s really not a difficult process to master on this bike.
  18. Capt. Gary

Oddometer:
    Where do you find post numbers l can't find them
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:

One of my cheap tricks

Fuel siphon tank drain and transfer hose.
    [​IMG] .

Works like any any other siphon hose ever did and also clicks on the fuel pump with the same quick release fitting the EFI uses.

[​IMG]

Besides siphoning fuel from your buddy's tank in a pinch its also handy for draining the tank down for removal with out messes and for transferring a couple quarts to your buddy's tank and also filling small fuel bottles and cans. The two ends click together keep out dirt and to contain the fuel smell so you can get rolling now and air it out later when you stop for the day.

A set of 1/4 inch / 6.3 mm EFI fittings, $8 pair on eBay. Plastic hose from the local hardware store $2
    B7ACKTHORN, talmage and Matt TwoTired like this.
  20. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto on my license plate. It was quite annoying because the hole centers were only about 1/4" off. In hindsight I should have used something as an adapter.

Also I have the service manual and read JBeKs tutorial, I just think it comes down to how I'm measuring the gap and whether I was really at TDC. Getting to the valves was super simple. I'll take a second hack at it and try a couple of the tips mentioned here as far as watching for the valve movement etc.