Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too slow to pick up clues, its been the Bane of my life, have trouble with Accents also :hide I actually thought the price was for an Air cleaner!
    I mentioned Cam ( not sure of tongue position ) I couldn't sell you a hole, anyhow:-)
    Doctor T likes this.
  2. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe it is plastic, it looks like Suzuki went to brass on newer models and superseded the part with the plastic there. Like I said, wouldn’t know if they are a real fit until someone compares them in person for a physical and electrical fit.
  3. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m going to revisit this on my bike and try the newer recommendations as I am curious if there are settings on both sides of the factory recommendations or if mine (2019) responds to a different setting due to some variance. Glad your is fixed, I know I was elated when I addressed mine.
    Dread likes this.
  4. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice place to ride. Getting closer to better weather now and more time riding.
  6. gusthedog

gusthedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my rear seat off and mounted a small dry box instead. Good spot to store tools etc.

Made a quick bracket up out of some aluminium I had lying around and a cut down bolt for the latch. Works well.

IMG_20211016_165910_9.jpg IMG_20211016_165926_1.jpg
  7. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The leuheanrede recommendation is also the route I went, from factory .66V to .56. That seemed to eliminate most of the stalling problems with my bike, but didn't help the cold starts. With 1500 miles, iridium plug, and valve lash adjustment the bike starts and stays running with just the enricher now, but does occasionally fluctuate from 1300 to 1750 rpm when warm and idling, not sure whats up there.
    zefnerd and Dread like this.
  8. Dool

Oddometer:
    What Brand is the Pannier rack?
  9. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, pretty good riding in the Pacific NW. Having the Himalayan will probably stretch out the riding season for me, but Dec and Jan are generally the catch up on maintenance months for me.
    Enjoy your approaching summer and hope you put up some pics.
  10. gusthedog

gusthedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the soft pannier rack from Hitchcock's. Can't deal with any weight off road but sits nice and close to the bike. Tends to bend inwards as it doesn't have a cross stay. Perfect for light loads or on road though. I have a cross braced set of racks here ready to go on when I get a minute.
    Dool likes this.
  11. Dool

Oddometer:
    High Lift Camshafts are available , via PM only :clap

Solid blue is RWHP , the Broken Blue Line is Torque in foot pounds or "Butt Dyno", I am not Paid to comment on the Red lines.:rofl

Attached Files:

BillMcQuade and bomber60015 like this.
  12. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pulled my OEM air cleaner cover off the other day and looked at cutting the snorkel off, but to be honest, I doubt that would make one bit of difference because the snorkel flairs out to an area that is much larger than the hole itself. And cutting the hole significantly larger would eliminate the flange that the air filter seals onto. So I cut out the two reinforcing fins inside the snorkel and left it at that.
  13. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would assume that the steps from BS4 to BS5 and BS6 may/will result in different optimum value ranges for each generation, especially considering the different euro spec emissions qualifications.
    zefnerd likes this.
  14. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, that’s clever. :)
    Doctor T, gusthedog and bomber60015 like this.
  15. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like you, it fixed most of my issues. Cold starts are good, it still needs a bit of babying for the first mile if I don’t give it several minutes warmup. I don’t have a high idling issue. For science, I’m going to try the newest recommendations and see if they further improve things.
  16. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well took the plunge and ordered a lift from Eastbound, the smaller of the two.
    Arrived today, Sunday! six days after I ordered , so DHL came good.
    Ratchet has 1500 whatever rating stamped on and is a lot thicker gauge than the Aldi 1000s I have.
    Strap is 2000 rated and again is much thicker than 1000 strap on the Aldi's.
    Impressed with the general quality and construction too.
    Very pleased with the whole deal, lets just hope I never have to use it!
    ToasTje and bomber60015 like this.
  17. ToasTje

ToasTje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you just order the winch or some other stuff as well? I'm looking to buy the winch and tyre kit.

Just found I'd made a mistake ordering the 'flashing brake' lights. When doing research on the bike, I'd found that some had replaced their brake light with an LED one that flashes 2 or 3 times at the start. So I ordered one cause the more visibility I am on the bike, the better imo.
    Whilst reading the manual I found out that the latest version (BS6) uses a LED unit for the tail light section. I'd say I would ship them to an inmate for free as long as they pay the shipping but it's probably cheaper to order them straight from Amazon. :s
    Dool likes this.
  18. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've been wondering about enlarging the air filter intake.

With a stock engine and exhaust does anyone think there'd be any benefit in doing this?

I am thinking probably not.

What is the most restrictive part of a stock intake tract?
    Dool likes this.
  19. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likely the air filter itself.

increasing flow through the intake tract only won’t do very much for you. The air pump that is your engine would need intake, cam, and exhaust changes to gain much of anything. Add displacement, and now you’re talking.

Of course, increases come at a cost: fuel efficiency, low end torque, engine life.

it’s all a balancing act.
    little ackman, Dool and Kiwithl like this.
  20. Kiwithl

Kiwithl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if anyone's fitted an after market camshaft with stock airbox,filter and exhaust? Without a power thingymajig?

I'm sure the answer's already here somewhere, but where?

Also, if there's only money and time for one modification what's best? Ok, opinions will vary and big bore is probably the answer. But other than that?

I think I remember someone saying a free flowing exhaust?

And others a 14 tooth front sprocket.

I should look at some retailers and compare prices; exhaust versus sprocket I suppose.

I know it's a Himalayan and it will never be a CCM... (and that's ok with me). (I think). (Um?)