Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve owned 2 KLRs and now the Himalayan. The Himalayan is easier to handle than the KLR. It is lighter than both the Gen 2 and Gen 3, about the same weight as the Gen 1, but the center of Gravity on the bike is lower, and it is significantly easier to handle and to keep from falling over than the KLR. It isn’t as fast as the KLR (that’s something I never thought I’d say) but it is just fine for state highways and back roads. It tractors through things very much like the KLR, but it feels more stable - I attribute that to the weight being lower. Even with an empty tank the KLR is just a top heavy old school thumper. I really like both bikes - I guess I’m just a thumper guy (and I’ve owned a lot of bikes, but I always end up back on a thumper), but this one is definitely easier to handle.
  2. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I did the iridium plug this morning and adjusted the warm idle up. Everything made an incremental improvement, warmed up with less stalling, but still stalled. Stalled at stop lights until I’d been riding about a half hour. Most bothersome is it stalled on a downhill section when I pulled in the clutch to coast at parts. Guess I just engine brake and power only. But it did improve, and it seems to continually get a little better. I’m just at my first service so will see what happens after I do the valves.

It’s a fine bike, but I’m Not sure this is the way to put a product out on the market. Stalling consistently in traffic or while moving is no bueno.
    Dool likes this.
  3. diboblo

diboblo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested to hear about the bikes performance, after you do the valves, at your first service.

I don't have time, during the week, to put miles on mine, but the time I spent on it, this past Sunday, didn't net any failures during operation.

Curious if anyone had these issues, before a powertronic and no issues, post powertronic. Could it be the OEM map?
    little ackman, Dool and Dread like this.
  4. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike occasionally stalled when cold, but that stops when the bike warms up. But, once in a while (rarely) my bike will cut out as if the fuel or ignition is cut for a moment. This rarely results in a stall and usually happens when the throttle is being opened. I think that it has something to do with either a glitchy OEM map or a glitchy TPS. Usually, it is just a hickup. It starts first time when cold and seldom stalls and requires no throttle. And I don't use the 'choke' enricher. My bike has 20k KMS on it.

PS I do have a PowerTronic.
    PS2 It gets a bit worse if I advance the timing more in the 3 to 4 K rpm range, so I am leaning towards a glitch in the OEM ignition map.
    little ackman, Dread and diboblo like this.
  5. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sold my Gen 1 KLR for the same reasons … getting tough for me to handle.

9k miles on my 2021 since last November, including a BDR and the Trans Wisconsin Trail and several thousand miles on gravel/dirt roads.

Mine will easily do 70, and a touch more,
    but there’s not much left at that speed, so I tend to avoid interstates.

I am very pleased with my choice.
    Doctor T and Dread like this.
  6. LHRider

LHRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Foggy memory says .62V. I wouldn’t pout my faith in any specific #, just adjust until it runs smoothly.
  7. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For no reason other than curiosity, I fitted a modified Head to my 477 and did a Run on the Dyno, A noticeable improvement through the Range in shown in this chart ( Blue Line )that compares the same Bike with a standard head ( Red Line ). Not ground breaking! but an improvement :hide BVHead.jpeg
    slownold and little ackman like this.
  8. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This last part is the problem I am having accepting. I know a lot of the recommendations thus far were to just ride the bike until it gets broken in for several thousand miles. But with the stalling while underway, this is straight up dangerous.
    Dread, bomber60015 and Dool like this.
  9. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is dangerous and you could be excused for thinking that RE dont car and their Dealers are in the Dark. The later efi models run very lean ( not conjecture but fact) this makes them hard to start and Idle and prone to stalling, as you are finding out, more than a few people have sold their EFI himma in disgust over this problem. You need to get used to riding with your hand ready to pull the clutch, especially at slow corners etc. Like they say , it will improve so long as it doesent kill you first.
    Doctor T likes this.
  10. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strangely enough, the problem with starting only went away after the 5000 Km service, but the cutting out came back along with the increase in idle revs to 1900RPM give or take 800 RPM or zero RPM when it cuts out
    Dool likes this.
  11. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you being young wouldn't remember the B/W test card
    test card.png
    Dool and Doctor T like this.
  12. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the penultimate photo where you've found an oil stain on the floor to park over to simulate a Traditional Brit Motorbike ;-)
    jcw64 and Doctor T like this.
  13. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Sad to hear you will be leaving the community. You have shown us some great mods. I still think it's a shame you didn't do a short run of the tank pads. Thank you for the "Thingmajig". Saved me a lot of money compared to the cost of a Booster plug.
    What will be the next bike?. Good luck with your new adventures John. Iain
    jcw64 likes this.
  14. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    A 10k resistor between the wires of the solenoid plug. Hitchcock's use a blanking plug with the 10k fitted. As Captain trips explained.
    Dool likes this.
  15. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    We didn't have a color TV until the 1966 world cup. No one else had one in the family so on the day the whole lot of them turned up. I do remember the old B/W test card.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I've been told that there is an updated map from RE deals. Not sure if it's available in your country. What I've learned from this forum is that the engine is very tight when new, along with this and running lean it makes the engine stall at times. Once the engine has properly bedded in, most of the stalling disappears. A lot of Euro 4/6 bikes have the same problems
  17. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what I was wonder as well. But I would have thought the RE dealer would have updated the ECU before I took it home. Then again, maybe that is asking too much.

Is there a way to see what ECU updates are available?

Lastly, would a PowerTronic allow me to run the bike "richer"?
  18. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Powertronic/booster plug/ power commander will make the bike richer but you may be covering up other problems. The only way to find out if there is an update in your county is to ask a RE dealer. It may have just been available for colder countries.
  19. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in the days when cars had points and distributors you had to adjust the timing when you changed the points, and sometimes when you adjusted them.
    No problem as there was knob on the distributor with around one degree clicks and and we just adjusted it to just off the point where it ticked over the fastest/smoothest.
    Seems you are the only one who has tried the trick with the Hima.
    Brit singles with a magneto usually had a manual advance and retard lever, retard it to start then push it to full advance and leave it there - on a solo bike there was no nothing to be gained by messing around with it.
    And if you had a SU carb where the height of the needle jet was adjustable on the fly you could richen or weaken the mixture too, but unless you pushed it to the point where it was missfiring that didnt seem to make much difference either.
    So if farting around with microscopic changed on some maps or whatever makes a difference you are probably only compensating for a problem elsewhere.
    The first thing a pro will check is the fuel pressure at the injector - if you don't have that you have nothing, but it seems very few Hima owners check before they start changing all the other factory settings.
    little ackman, Doctor T and Dool like this.
  20. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first thought was that it was the post evap-delete gas puddle warning of a slight tank overfill, but your notion is much more appealing.
    jcw64 likes this.