Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Have to agree. In the past, i have found some dealers think more about profit than the buyer. Am lucky that mine cares about both. Most of their sales come from returning customers. When i do call them or pop in, all the staff remember my name and have also stopped in the street for a chat. If they think i can fit a problem myself they will give advice F.O.C. In their workshop, it's not a no-go zone for customers. They are quite happy to invite you in. For these reasons i will go to them first if i need another bike.
    When I've bought Japanese bikes in the past ive found as soon as the money is paid that's it they don't want to know anymore. This is what put me off in the end.
  2. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
  3. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doctor T and little ackman like this.
  5. byteofthecherry

byteofthecherry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talking of exchanges...not...got a result last week...took my safety recall 'Brake calipers' letters from the main importers(I have two Himas) to my local dealers, told them I was not interested in them doing the work(they were not the original suppliers) and I do my own work...two sets handed over...no interest in taking the old ones... I signed for work done. Took 25 mins.
    My original ByBre ones are perfect, no complaints(but I do keep on top of keeping them cleaned/serviced)

calipers.JPG
    bomber60015, Dool and CaptainTrips like this.
  6. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both, the xt250 and the Himma. My son had a KLR and I would take my Himma over that any day. It was to heavy and tall. My YouTube channel has a mix of offroad and Hwy riding. I took the Himma on a cross-country trip two years ago. I think you would be very happy with it.
    folkers, bomber60015 and modiorne like this.
  7. SloppyJowe

SloppyJowe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. Finally got my Himalayan back from the shop. Still waiting on a new TPS but I was able to find a TPS off another bike that worked. So far the only thing wrong with using this non Himalayan TPS is that the CEL is on, and won't go away.

If you're in a pinch, don't mind a CEL, or can't find a RE TPS, then a 07-19 DL650 & 14-19 DL1000 TPS - THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR will work.

I also dug into the old one I had on the bike that was giving me issues and might have found why.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the ribbon that two "feelers" ride on to generate a signal for the bike. You can see some shmoo or some kind of crud on the end there, and some more schmoo and scratching on the trace. I was able to wipe it off with my finger, and the trace looked okay overall. I think the contacts got dirty, or moisture got into the sensor.

The TPS can be disassembled, cleaned, and put back together. You won't have an air tight seal like you started with, but JB weld or something equivalent will seal the cover of the TPS back up nicely. I have not reinstalled this old one after going through it, so I cannot speak to whether anything I did resolved any issues. Hopefully someone finds this information useful.
    talmage, Doctor T, sqeeezy and 6 others like this.
  8. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to see those tubeless wheels made available
    Doctor T likes this.
  9. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More important would be a cure for the engine cutting out while moving at low speed. That shit is dangerous
    Doctor T and Dool like this.
  10. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you have your bike back, really cool you went next level and shared the results. Interesting that it throws an error but works and actually fits, wonder what the discrepancy is?
    Enjoyed the post mortem on the TPS, I suspect you may have what some call "the knack". :)
    little ackman likes this.
  11. diboblo

diboblo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the TPS available for purchase, from a dealer, as a separate piece part?

I'd like to get my hands on a new one, for autopsy. Over 30 years as an avionics technician and I'd like to see one, for myself...
    Doctor T likes this.
  12. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have to remove the TB to remove the TPS?
  13. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's held in with a single screw with a hex key head and of course its wires.
  14. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    YESSSSSSS!
  15. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    No, it only comes with the throttle body. Which is a bummer
    Dool and diboblo like this.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Looks like all the trace strips are making contact at the curve. Usually happens when one strip burns out and melts to the others but i can not see any burning on yours.
  17. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume that by now you've checked all the wires, relays, switches, etc., associated with the clutch/neutral/kickstand interlock system, and these were not the culprit? There have been multiple posts about these things causing intermittent engine shutdowns while riding.

There have been times when I've been tempted to remove all that stuff (I grew up on bikes that could be started in gear, with the clutch out, and the stand down, and somehow survived), but on my Utah trip I found it so convenient to pull up in gear, put the stand down to kill the engine, and know the bike won't roll off the stand. Of course I could use the kill switch on the handlebar, but somehow the stand seems more natural.
  18. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The way things are going in this Woke World We live in (albeit for a short time) the TPS will soon be Incorporated into the Bike itself, requiring you to Buy a Replacement Bike:clap
    Rich B likes this.
  19. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or, it will be incorporated into you as an implant in you hand that also eliminates keys and fobs. Throttle control via gesture. :dj
    bomber60015, diboblo and Doctor T like this.
  20. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a BMW GS thing
    ToasTje likes this.