Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. diboblo

diboblo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in purchasing a used TPS, if anyone has one laying around.

Solely for r&d. not going to run it.

Bob
    richrd likes this.
  2. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the moment I am leaving it to the dealer to fix as the cutting out and wild variation in idle speed only started after the 5000 Km service, done at 6000Km. I did have it cut out a few times during the first 1600Km, but the bike has not done that since until the recent service. The head mechanic really pissed me off when he replied by email that it was probably operator error. I won't tell you what my reply was.
    Dool and bomber60015 like this.
  3. SloppyJowe

SloppyJowe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apparently they're available for purchase from RE dealers. I've been waiting on an actual RE one for three months now. Apparently it was only $30.

The strip in the TPS is held in place by tension from a metal clip that presses the strip to the three prongs for the wiring harness connector. It might be possible for the strip to move very slightly within the TPS housing, but I imagine you'd have to be bashing the crap out of it for that to happen. I really think there was some moisture ingress into the sensor that caused the contacts to ground out. I'll have to test my TPS now that I've dug into it.
    zefnerd likes this.
  4. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's what I've tried on mine so far which is doing the same as yours from day 1.
    • Increase TPS - minimal success - more of a Band-Aid than a solution
    • Iridium Plug - No change
    • Heavier duty relays for fuel pump and ECU - No change
    • New fuel - No change
    So here is the last thing I'm going to do. I'm going to purchase the Powertronic for it. I think the current ECU is too conservative and is literally choking the bike. $300 bucks > stalling in the middle of an American intersection.
    Dool and SloppyJowe like this.
  5. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few American intersections in the midwest where you could pitch a tent and no one would bother you... :bore
    Dool likes this.
  6. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Powertronic , when well sorted is pretty good, helps if you have a good Dyno Tuner who can produce a suitable Map or you can purchase their FuelX to help , Just like Power comander and auto tune, see it starts to get expensive.
    But anyhow, they are "Piggy Back" devices, Cheats whatever, they attempt to Trick the ECU.
    Better than a Piggy Back would be a Reprogrammable ECU loaded with 4 maps for the Himalayan, to say it is Superior to the Cheat devices is an Understatement.
    As a Replacement, it fits where the old ECU sat and connects to every circuit and controls the whole shebang . Available now, give me a PM if your interested in more info.
    little ackman likes this.
  7. Dool

Oddometer:
    Got one from a Bullet, measures the same resistance.
  8. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I will PM you tonight when I get off work.

As for the Powertronic, I see they also now have the FuelX like you mention. If I am only interested (for now) in acquiring a richer mixture, would this do it alone, or do I also need the PT?
    Dool likes this.
  9. Dool

Oddometer:

Yes The FuelX will give you a Richer mix, I have tested it alone on my 477. With an Air Fuel Ratio Gauge. It is just capable of Making the 477 run adequately.
    Strangely enough, I also have one of those that is now excess to requirements.:-)
    But the Fuelx is a cheat, in this case a Lambda Cheat, so it will allow a richer mix, it , of course doesn't allow you to adjust the Ignition Timing or anything else.
    It takes about the same time to fit the ECU as it does to fit the FuelX a fair bit longer again to install the powertronic, combined the 2 units cost about a hundred bucks more than the ECU so I think its a No Brainer.
  10. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does that compare with the cost of Hitchcocks carb kit?
    Dool likes this.
  11. Dool

Oddometer:
    Not Sure, But I dont have one of those to sell:-)
  12. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Just realised i haven't washed the bike of over 2 years. OK, we had lockdown but that's no excuse. The dirt on the bike mostly consists of dust and cobwebs. One spider even came camping with me.
    Anyway talking to a bike mechanic this morning, he suggests my braking may improve if i fitted better quality braided hoses to the front. The problem No one makes hoses for the Himmie. So does anyone in the UK know of a company that can make me some?. EBC FA181HH Sintered pads that i fitted did make a difference in stopping power but i still suspect that the hoses could be a problem. Compared to the other bikes that i fitted braided hoses to the Himmie ones look very thin. Thinner hoses in theory should compress the fluid more but i don't think this is the case here.
  13. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doctor T likes this.
  14. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that were the case, they all should be stalling, rather than just the fairly small subset that have reported a problem after initial break-in. Could be that the ECU in your bike is defective, but I suspect it’ll be a major battle to get your dealer to replace it.
    bomber60015 and Doctor T like this.
  15. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify… are you saying your Himalayan didn’t come with a braided front brake hose, or are you saying you want to find a better quality braided hose? I ask because my 2018 model (and my friend’s 2019) has braided hoses.

As for washing, does riding in the rain count? If so, I washed my Himalayan on Tuesday. Otherwise, the last time was when I rode it across the St. Francis River (without benefit of a bridge) in September. As for anything involving soap solutions and a garden hose… maybe sometime last year? Maybe.
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen the factory scrambler or tracker in the flesh? Pics?
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-10-22_11-57-36.jpeg
    Dool likes this.
  18. Dool

Oddometer:
    bomber60015 and Doctor T like this.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    what is it, a BMW?
  20. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rain doesn't count. A water crossing does! ;)
    bomber60015 and Dool like this.