Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Washing Motorcycles is Not recommended, seriously:kboom water ingress is the Cause of many problems especially these days when everyone has a Pressure Cleaner.
    Wiping and polishing is Ok and if you have to Ride in the Rain then, ,, Tough Luck.
    Doctor T likes this.
  2. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I’m going the FuelX route if things don’t sort themselves out. But first I’m going to ride a bit. I actually have a diagnostic computer coming for the Himalayan. They are the least expensive kits I’ve ever seen, I have torque wrenches that cost more. The stalling issue was my excuse, but really I just want it to fiddle with it and see what it tells me.
    little ackman likes this.
  3. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The symptom that has me perplexed are the reports of varying idle speeds. Wildly varying idle speeds don't seem like they would be solved with a simple adjustment adjustment of fuel, it seems more like a symptom of something not working correctly possibly due to an inconsistent electrical connection or vacuum issue where a valve is involved. Perhaps for the one that was fixed after a service visit, an imperfectly connected hose/connection/something was reseated during the visit?
  4. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What computer did you end up getting? I am interest in this route as well as I do not have a dealer nearby.

I am an Electrical Engineer by trade, but I will admit, I don't know how the ECU is programmed to do it's calculations. Typically, though in any control system there is a PID feedback loop that attempts to achieve steady state with few oscillations and overshoots and undershoots. This is the issue of being over and under damped. I know some of you have dove into the ECU programming route, so maybe you know, but to me it is as if the PIDs are off on the 2021 model, perhaps as a result of the new emissions/lean running of the bike.
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hose off and wipe down after almost every ride. Not a power washer. I’d rather know if water is causing problems in my driveway instead of in a downpour on the highway.
    CaptainTrips likes this.
  6. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is like a PID loop. Probably more like a 2D table of values for given RPMs and throttle positions etc. like the PT. Dool will know for sure.
    Dool and Gryz like this.
  7. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the FuelX module had been available at the time, I think I would have gone that route rather than the PT.
    Dool likes this.
  8. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any hydraulic hose shop should be able to make ya a replacement hose if you take yours in or all the specs for the fittings and length etc to them in any kind of or color hose you want but honestly I don't think unless your hose is causing sponginess in your lever then I doubt you would notice any difference at all except being a little lighter in the wallet. Even then unless you're carrying change around I don't think you'd notice any braking improvement or improvement in feel.
    Doctor T likes this.
  9. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's possible. That is called a lookup table and is commonly used as well.
  10. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Of cause that is where i buy my clutch and throttle cables from
  11. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    It is fitted with braided lines from new but i was wondering as the mechanic said a better quality braided hoses would help the feel of the front brakes.
    Only is it clean with suds
  12. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    May be why my head and swingarm bearings are in good shape
    whysub likes this.
  13. Dread

Oddometer:
    I ordered a FuelX Pro for the 2021 Himalayan. For the FI diagnostic I ordered the RE diagnostic computer off eBay for the 2021. https://www.ebay.com/itm/284385853162 I plan on doing all my own maintenance so seems like it will be handy to have and it isn’t 500 bucks like some other manufacturers are. $75 shipped from overseas.

today I wrapped up my break in miles and it was the first ride where I had done everything associated with quick fixes for the stalling.
    - First I adjusted the TPS to .68. On the center stand it worked great and didn’t stall. Next day when I rode it, the bike was right back to constantly stalling on warmup and while riding.

- second, put in an iridium plug, properly gapped. No change, bike even stalled while riding when I pulled the clutch in coasting downhill.

- Third, I adjusted the idle speed. It looked close to 1350, before, but after watching it a while when ridden and fully warmed up it was more like 1200-1250. So I took my time, went high and came back down. That final change made a big difference.

I rode the last 300 mile break in miles today and this is what I observed: stalled twice in warm up, 3 times in the first few blocks when stopped leaving my neighbor hood. No more stalling after that. I’d ride a loop, stop and let it idle, repeat. Did this 4 or five times. I was thinking awesome, I can live with this. Then I got gas, and in that brief period it went back to stalling like the warmup. Engine still at operating temperature. It cleared up in the 4 blocks to my house with no stalling. During the riding, I noticed that it would idle high if I was riding faster 1800ish rpm, settle down to around 1500, and then another step down to where I set it at 1350. No hunting. If I was riding slower, it ticked right in at a 1350 idle, no hunting. But on warmup and after I got gas it would start hunting and whenever it dipped below around 1200 it would stall, or want to stall, until I rode it a few blocks, then no more hunting and it locked in to 1350.

I could probably live with it like it is, but I just don’t like it. I’m going to learn how the diagnostic computer works and check things out, then give the FuelX a shot and let folks know how it worked. What I DON’T want is to fix the stalling, but trash the mileage. If I can do that for a few hundred bucks I’ll be fine with it. I cut my ADV teeth on a used KLR 20 years ago, so I’m used to quirky bikes that need some fiddling to dial in. But I will say, simplicity aside, I really don’t think there is any excuse for a bike sold in 2021 with FI to have this degree of problems right off the dealership floor. It’s ok for me, I guess, just that I like working on my bikes and am used to this. But for a new rider, or a rider that doesn’t like to work on stuff, or doesn’t know how it’s crippling and a lot more than an annoying quirk.
    Dool, little ackman and bomber60015 like this.
  14. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect that that RE diagnostic tool is just a garden variety OBD fault scanner with the appropriate socket/plug attached. The real thing has the ability to upload ECU updates etc.
  15. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the writeup. It was very helpful. I don't really have anything to add other than mine being the same. One thing I do notice on mine is that I do not have a consistent idle rpm. Sometimes its about 1250, and when warmed up, anywhere from 1500-2000. At this point, when fully warmed up, my tach pulsates pretty rapidly and not able to find its happy place.

I do really hope RE has a solution in mind for us. It is currently unsafe. I'm going to put mine back in the garage and really think about what I want to do with it.
  16. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can’t help but wonder if some the the hard starting/idling/stalling issues aren’t artifacts of RE’s difficulty in holding tolerances and meeting quality targets … the variability and differences in problems experienced is perplexing.
  17. Dread

Oddometer:
    Yes. It is really weird. I will say I read through this whole thread before I decided to buy it so I knew there would be a chance I got a bike that did this. I also see that many, many people say it really improves at 1500 miles and again from 3-6. So, I can’t say I didn’t know what I was doing going into it. But it is perplexing. But hey, I also own a Ural. I just must be a quirky bike kind of guy. :rilla
    talmage and Dool like this.
  18. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

My 2021 is cold blooded, but nothing at all like the recent reports like yours ….

signed, a guy going to Ural Demo Days tomorrow ;)
    Dool likes this.
  20. Dread

Oddometer:
    I love the two bikes side-by-side. Retro, slow down and smell the roses touring all around!
    sqeeezy and bomber60015 like this.