Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    300 miles is far from “broken in.” Mine took ten times that to get over its cold-stalling, and continued to improve for another several thousand miles after that. Having owned Harley Evos, I was not surprised by this.

Have you adjusted the valves yet? I would not be surprised if they were both tight. Mine were. I’m not totally sure they’re properly adjusted at the factory.

Mine only occasionally exhibited the idle speed fluctuations, but the one I rented in 2018 (300 miles on the clock when I picked it up, 900 when I turned it in) had both stalling and idle speed fluctuating from 1000 to 2500.

Something to think about: unlike bigger FI engines (like my Harley and BMW), the Himalayan doesn’t have an idle air control separate from the throttle blade. I have to wonder if stalling and unstable idle are related to the throttle not operating properly at very small openings. Is there a tension adjustment for the cable? A problem with burrs or carbon on the blade or throat? Hmmm…
  2. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interestingly enough my cold stall issues disappeared around 3k but with the installation of the hitchcock cam and the return of cool mornings it has returned but is gone by the second stop sign I hit leaving my house. Bike has never needed the cold start lever. It is so much more cold start friendly then my guzzi which also lacks an idle air control and don't get me started about the design fail of the stepper on my tiger 800.
    CaptainTrips likes this.
  3. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect it has something to do with the wiring harness. Some of the wiring to connections is really thin and could be creating connection problems.
    Doctor T and bomber60015 like this.
  4. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Braided hoses are just a soft Teflon hose covered by a braided SS sheath and are actually softer than rubber hoses.
    Which most people find beneficial , as it gives a better feel and enables more of the brakes existing power to be used.
    If you want more power the easiest way to get it is a M/C with either a smaller bore, or a better leverage ratio like most radials have, or both.
    There was an excellent article in " Bike " magazine where they actually tested all the alternatives and blew away a few of the popular myths.
    Kits to make up lines are not hard to find, but, depending on where you are situated. legal lines may need to be proof tested before they can be used on the road.
    Some folks sell stock lengths of braided hose with a universal threaded end fitting , and a choice of screw on end fittings to suit any eventually, but they don't end up cheap.
    And not all Banjos, bolts and holes are the same thickness, length or depth which can lead to problems too -dahik!
    Just fitted a set of Moto Master 403202 sintered GG pads which were all I could find in stock in Oz, and they seem to have at least as much power as the 181 HH pads and require a bit softer squeeze to give it too.
    And placebos sometimes work as well as the real thing, so p[lease, no weeping or [email protected]
  5. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh No he doesent:1drink
    But a Big Thank You for the Vote:-)
  6. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took my 477 out today, now has 281 km on it. When it has 500 km will go on the dyno and the Power Tronic importer will connect his computer to the PT unit and then too the tech guys from PT in India will try and adjust the setting. At the moment the bike is ruining using the stock cpu for fueling. To days ride started at under 4k revs and the torque is still amazing. After 200kms of riding I have now increased the revs up to 4800 for short bursts. The bike will now pull up hills in 5th gear and open the throttle it accelerates, on the Himma 1 stock with carb on some of these hills I am down to 4th gear. The fuel consumption today was 26.98 km per litre. On Himma one the same ride would use around 20 km per litre. Am I impressed hell yes. I expect the fuel use to drop as the bike gets more kms on it and once the PT is sorted. Any Himma owner who wants more low down power this is the answer. I also have a DNA filter and full delvic exhaust.
  7. Dool

Oddometer:
    Well thats Himma 2, It is getting better by the Post. Im interested in Himma1, standard? Carby bike thats getting a HT Cam and a Dyno run.:clap
  8. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. On what I would call winter mornings, I think that the thicker engine oil and air-cooled tolerances come into play.
  9. whysub

whysub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whereabouts in Spain are you thinking of locating to?

For what it is worth, I bought my Himalayan new here in 2019. List price (taking the £/€ exchange rate into consideration) was £3990. This was on the road price, no PDI costs to add. First service was free too and labour rates are less than in the UK.

Maybe its because of the weather here and my rural location, but my bike has never suffered from stalling, the headrace bearings are perfect still, and the compass works.
    The only issue has been the battery draining when its not used, but sorted that by fitting a lithium battery and disconnecting it when I know I won't be it riding it for 10 days or so. Terminal posts and the smaller physical size makes disconnection a 60 second task.

I had to sell my bikes in the UK before moving over here, as all were modified, and getting them back to standard spec (as is required), plus the re-registration costs was not economical. And now importing vehicles from the UK means having to pay import duty.

Modifying vehicles in Spain means using approved parts and having them fitted by an approved installer. And then taking, and paying for it for an inspection so that the modification can be added to the vehicles' record.

Secondhand bikes are generally expensive here, but bargains can crop up. And when you sell you won't lose too much on anything you paid under €2,000 for.

Good luck on moving here, and that your planning for work goes as you hope. There are big gaps in the employment market, despite the high unemployment rate.

I have found it all but impossible to find labourers to clear my rather large garden of building debris, even when I am offering €10 an hour cash in hand. Maybe unemployment is an urban issue.

I have no desire (or need) to work but if I were, I would set up a business supplying labour to clear gardens of rubbish. In rural areas every single house seems to have junk littered about the gardens.
    zefnerd likes this.
  10. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dool likes this.
  11. Dool

Oddometer:
    :doh Not much good unless you have the Big Bore, I got a couple spare!
    Hondapaul likes this.
  12. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    While we're on the subject of throttle-related oddities, has anybody else noticed an occasional "kick in the rear" when quickly rolling off the throttle at moderate speeds? It doesn't happen to me all the time, but every now and then I roll off the throttle and the bike jumps forward, just for an instant. It's almost as if there's a brief delay between closing the throttle and the ECM noticing.

It's not at all a big deal, but it is a bit startling when it happens. I wonder if this is (in part) why one of the functions of the Harley's Intake Air Control solenoid (according to the service manual) is to bleed a little air when you shut the throttle quickly at speed (the stated reason is emissions-related--the extra air reduces formation of nitrogen oxides).
    bomber60015 likes this.
  13. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 650 vstrom did the same, meaning that it opened the throttle a bit on decel. I think it is just meant to put air through to burn off excess fuel in the Cat.
  14. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actuallly like how the Himmi runs now, will go big bore if the top end blows.
    More than enought power for my non waife like figure and 80+ gas milage... what more do you need
    (TEC cam best mod to date... love the idea of the reprogrammable ECU but PT working perfectly, knock on anything wood, so no need on that either yet)
    Doctor T, Dool and zefnerd like this.
  15. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you guys with the PTs, do you use the stock maps or do you tune them yourselves?
    Hondapaul and Dool like this.
  16. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lost both my swingarm plugs somewhere. Modeled them in CAD and 3D printed some. Time to get creative. image0.jpeg image1.jpeg Capture.JPG Himalayan Swingarm Plug v8.jpg
    O6 Himmy, Doctor T, zefnerd and 3 others like this.
  17. Dool

Oddometer:
    Sorry I am no Camper, But if you are unhappy with your Himmas performance I have a tale to tell, Seems a few People out there are not Happy with the way your Himalayans run/perform.
    I strip mine and thrash the Crap out of it as I have become addicted to the Charts produced on the Dyno ( yes and its probably wrong because of ,,,,F n,,:devildog Crazy and the rest of it ! ) but this poor M/C runs lean! hate to be the one who breaks this bad news to you but shit happens! The poor Bastard needs more fuel and it aint a green denial sort of thing, Its running Lean if its idling high or Erratic , blame euro5.
  18. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm essentially moving back to Spain (with my wife) to the place where I lived for 12 years, on the south coast around Motril. I've been looking at some older Suzuki DR650's on Milanuncios that are in my budget range. I like them, especially for the fact that you can't find them in the UK. Actually, it's more about justifying the use I'll get out of another bike, as my Himmie is needed for commuting 5 days a week in London. That won't be happening in Spain, so I need to set my sights lower, financially speaking.
    Thanks for the well wishes. I'm only too aware of the work prospects in Spain, but I have some savings, and some excellent contacts here in London with links to Spain, so who knows? Whatever I do though, I hope to eventually end up working for myself.
    whysub, Doctor T and zefnerd like this.
  19. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I meant to add that on my recent trip to Spain, my bike never stalled, but I feel it was more to do with being able to run the engine freely for a decent length of time. Having said that, I do also believe that above, say, 24 Celsius the stalling doesn't occur. Commuting as I do, I've had the engine stall as much when the engine was hot, as when it was not. For me, there are two scenarios where stalling occurs; sitting at the lights with the engine idling at 1150-1180 rpm then opening the throttle after 20 or 30 seconds of uninterrupted idle, and during deceleration, at the the moment I pull the clutch in when slowing to a stop. This only happens when the engine is hot though.
    I tend to modulate the throttle slightly when stationary now, just to vary the idle and this prevents the engine stalling. By doing so, I can sense the engine rotation drop below idle to reveal the moment it would usually stall, but this technique allows me to recover it.
    I'd rather I didn't have to do this, but filtering in Central London, means me being at the head of a queue of disgruntled 4-wheeled commuters, some of whom who will cut you little slack if you don't disappear into the distance the moment the lights change.
    So a good, uninterrupted ride in warm weather seems to be the fix - and that's another reason why I'm moving to Spain!
  20. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Halloween edition with added 34mm O-ring. Think this might be the final version.
    Himalayan Swingarm Plug v9.jpg