Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point. It is slowly improving as everyone’s experience shows. And I’m going to play with the fueling next, based on the collective wisdom.
  2. Dread

Oddometer:
    Really cool!
  3. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

This …
  4. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2020 Gold Wing does that almost all the time when I'm coasting, let's say when I see the light turn red ahead and I coast up to it.
  5. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you taking orders!
  6. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to buy some O-Rings from Amazon and give them a try, but then I can potentially send you guys some to try depending on how much free time I have.

Here is one off the printer. 160 micron layer height.
    BBE1D2C9-D2A1-40C8-9BA7-1DF2D6AA2E15.JPG
    O6 Himmy, zefnerd and Loadtoad101 like this.
  7. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question on the FuelX. Do you need to keep the handlebar fuel adjuster mounted, or can you adjust it and then unlug it from the FuelX?
    Dool likes this.
  8. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems there is a whole lot of talk of mechanical work, upgrades and broken parts, so I thought I'd just post a few pics of the Himmi in the wild. 20210904_154029.jpg 20210731_131205.jpg 20210625_142824.jpg
    buelligan, wfrpalm, talmage and 10 others like this.
  9. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That surge when quickly closing the throttle can be a sine that the bike is running a little lean. If it had a carburetor instead of FI I would tell you to raise the needle a step or add a shim under it. If it was happening near full throttle then the carb would need a bigger main jet. Most FI motors that have a Idle Control Valve or Intake Air Control valve will simply seem to have the throttle hang for half a second. Older Himas don't have a ICV or IAC that is why there is a manual bi-starter on them as the first use for these valves was to aid in starting and warmup.

The short version is that the "kick in the pants" you are experiencing is a sign of bad tuning. The bike is running a little lean and or an air control valve is not programed quite right.
    talmage, Doctor T and bomber60015 like this.
  10. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    It needs to remain. It spoofs the ECU into thinking the ambient air temperature is lower than it is.
  11. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ones that are having success with their PT must be using someones map, the PT supplied Map didnt do anything for me it certainly didnt work "out of the box" oddly the reprogrammable ECU did!
    BillMcQuade likes this.
  13. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that It has to be plugged in,,,,, But it uses the same port as the USB adaptor cable so it is possible that it could be disconnected as that would happen when you connect it to a computer ! the switch looks a bit dopey. Give it a go , it should not hurt it.
  14. Dread

Oddometer:
    Is there any difference in the shock absorber from model year to year? I notice some sellers say their shocks are good for only a certain year range, but others don’t.
  15. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, yes that's a Wolfman B-base with the rollie bags. About a year and a half ago Wolfman discontinued their US line and redesigned their line and sent it over seas for manufacturing . I had called for a strap I lost and was offered over a thousand dollars of gear for three hundred dollars, of which I gladly took.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  16. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the best I can tell from searching and from memory, the rear shock has not changed since 2018 for European models and the front fork assembly changed in 2018 when they went to ABS brakes. The easiest way I know is by looking through Hitchcock's Himalayan part listing for each year and comparing parts numbers across the years. Parts catalogs on most sites are very incomplete and lacking, especially for RE it seems to me.
    Dread likes this.
  17. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Their tech support is really good and could give an official opinion if your nervous about giving it a try. Also, probably could just roll it up and toss it in the utility box a.k.a. owners manual compartment.
    Dool likes this.
  18. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeh, this product didn't really fix anything or support any other mods in an impressive way. Even through it didn't set the world on fire, it seems that once a product enters Hitchcock's inventory, they carry and support it for a long time. It's kinda impressive really.
  19. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the subject change and reminder of how rewarding just strapping on some luggage and heading out is.
    White mt guy, motogoat and Dool like this.
  20. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    little ackman and Dool like this.