Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice, you may be able to create a small business offering custom made one plugs for Himma owners. Owners nick names for there bike as an example.
    O6 Himmy likes this.
  2. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ECU ?
  3. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I take my Himmi to TTT motorcycles in Sudbury (UK). They are not a recognised RE dealer but do sell and work on Enfields. The main mech there is a ex race team manager/mech and has some very interesting opinions/viewpoints on how things should run/work/be set up.
    I do not have the maps for my bike, never thought to ask, but the initial RE map was super lean in the lower rpm range.
    The bike gets dyno'd after each mod (thanks Drool for the good idea to do this... money spent but defenightly not wasted).
    Always preffered roads that look like the map guy just spilt his spaggti on it and thought "that look good" rather than straight lines and with the latest TEC cam mod and remap I am back to chasing the corners again (change the oil regularly, look after the mechancals but "ride it like you stole it" has allways been my moto but I do wonder why people keep telling me I should clean it... Pfft wasted riding time :-))
    The 40 to 60 mph times are so much reduced agaisnt stock that i only need a third of the clear road ahead I used to to overtake sunday drivers

As a side note:- For me and my Himalayan the TPS was 0.61 factory set and I dropped it to 0.58 (bought the bike with 3,500 on it and it was about the 5,000 mile mark when i changed the TPS setting) which much improved, more stable, idle and initial pull away from standstill (It needed choke before (0.61) to start but never after (0.58) to start.
    talmage and Dool like this.
  4. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Moto-Master pads are not available in the UK. Shame because ive heard good results on the net. Am waiting for a reply email from Venhill in the UK at the moment. As they make brake hoses and made them before for me, they know what their doing
  5. Dool

Oddometer:
    On the subject of Front Brake Pads ( well sort of on the subject ) Sam sent me some Brake Pads also made by ByBre but for a Yamaha, They fit the Himma of course and feel better and were Cheap!

If someone wants a set and is prepared to write up their opinion ill send them a set,, PM Me
  6. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Having heard about Himalayans stalling since before joining our communite. I have come to my own conclusion. From what ive read, heard it seems that countries that have cooler weather than India have this stalling problem. Not a lot is reported from warmer climates. So ive woked out that the ECU has be programmed for certain temperature ranges that India and alike have. RE has not reprogrammed it for cooler and countries with less humidity, hence why the stalling. Also, the ECU is programmed to run lean between 3000/4000 revs to pass the EU limit. These are the rev range that engines are tested. After this the fueling is good. Has anyone been able to see the standard map of the ECU?
    talmage, Dread, jcw64 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are quite possibly correct. The thing that I keep coming back to though is, why the bikes seem to get better with age/mileage? If it was an ECU issue, wouldn't the problem persist over time?
  8. Dool

Oddometer:
    Perhaps :-) it is not that the Problem goes away over time, But that the poor buggers who had bad examples just gave up and shot themselves or sold the MLG (made like a gun ! )before they got that desperate:imaposer

Then stopped Posting Obviously
    little ackman likes this.
  9. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am running the installed PT map 1 pretty much as it came out of the box. Map 2 of that set has more aggressive ignition timing which made the incidental hickup problem worse. I have tinkered with a few fueling values to smooth out throttle response. I am running the full Delkevic exhaust with baffle in place, stock air cleaner, air injection deleted and evap removed. There is another set of PT maps for open exhausts but I did not like it at all. I recently added a switch to the handlebars so that I can switch to map 2 on the fly when running on a grade at hwy speeds fully loaded.
    little ackman and Dool like this.
  10. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really do need a weekend off.!!!!
    Dool likes this.
  11. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be nice! I am currently saving up for a ring :-)
  12. Dool

Oddometer:
    When you say " You didnt like it at all" why is that ? How many degrees advance does Map 2 have ? :-)
  13. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only tried for a single ride. I disliked the low to midrange throttle response, which as I recall felt laggy and similar to the original OEM setup. I decided immediately that other set was closer to what I was looking for.
    Dool likes this.
  14. diboblo

diboblo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone do real time data logging, or have an ECU read, from an FI bike? I think that's a good place to start.

If so, what hardware and software would you recommend, to read/tune this platform?

We use HemiTuners and other packages, on our Dodge Hellcats. Anything similar, in this market?It's beginning to sound like more in depth tuning is necessary, to get these bikes up to snuff.

Bob
    little ackman likes this.
  15. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that there is a range of expectations. I would hesitate to say that it is necessary. Most riders are happy with their bikes out of the box. But they do lend themselves to inexpensive tinkering. In my case, I am not interested in max HP. I wanted to enrich the mixture because my spark plug was almost white. And I wanted to fatten up the midrange, which is what I got. I don't need analyzers, I just like tinkering with it because it is fun and easy.

Of course, your mileage may vary, as the say.
    diboblo likes this.
  16. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Added both a Hitchcock’s windscreen and Doubletake Adventure Mirrors to my Himmy. I’ve used Doubletake mirrors on my last 4 bikes and really like them. The dual sport mirrors probably look more the part, but I really like the field of view on the Adv mirrors and I have really big shoulders (it’s cool, I have a belly to match) and the Adv mirrors go a bit further out and give a great field of view. I was having a lot of trouble with the stockers, but that is pretty normal for me.

I also, so far with about a hundred miles on it, like the Hitchcock screen. There’s nothing wrong, for me, with the stock screen it’s just too low. I like a lot of air taken off my torso, and the new screen has an enormous dead air space that fits me well. I have a tall Seat Concepts seat coming and that may change things, we will see. I also know that windscreens are such a subjective thing fir individuals. But, so far so good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    O6 Himmy, talmage, zefnerd and 4 others like this.
  17. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Have you got short legs?. Do you have problems getting your leg over?
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  18. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I can see a fault with your bike straight away.......... It's too bloody clean. Throw some mad at it before your next pictures.:hmmmmm
    O6 Himmy likes this.
  19. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in QLD Australia. Not the coldest place on earth. My bike cut out on 3 seperate occasions during the the first 1600Kms, but not after that until the 5000Km service done at 6000. Since the service the bike has cut out about 6 times, and we are just getting into summer. Average temps during the day are in the 20's
    Dool likes this.
  20. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting to hear another TPS setting.
    Seems I have seen a few, perhaps a dozen, and all seem to work better than what was there before, although few seem to state what that was.
    If I have time I might try a search and see if I can find them all, and list them, but most of the whacky ones are on U tube so might not show on a search.
    Or perhaps we would all like to post our particular favorite!