Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On this, we agree.
    Doctor T likes this.
  2. Flicka

Flicka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I book myself as a guinea pig
  3. whysub

whysub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next time you are there, tell Darren that works there that Colin from Spain sends his best regards.

He looked after all my bikes for me when I was living in the UK since about 20 years. That's everything from run of the mill Japanese IL4's through to my Guzzi, Ducati, KTM RC8's, Aprilia RS250 and Cagiva Mito 125. Superb mechanic and bike electrician too.
    little ackman and Hondapaul like this.
  4. whysub

whysub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen signs for Motril when I rode back from Portugal via Lanjaron on my way into Sierra Nevada. Some fantastic roads, as you well know!

Can I suggest you look on Facebook Market place too? Quite a few decent bikes on there, and you can get a bargain if you wait. I was looking for something to cover long distances on, when I don't have tye time to take the Himalayan . Ended up buying an immaculate Honda Deauville 650 ( dull as ditchwater really, but does what I wanted it for). Paid about half of what I had seen similar bikes go for. Seller sold it as he had just imported his other bike from tye UK and only had secure parking for one bike.
    jcw64 likes this.
  5. Jerryman

Jerryman n00b

Oddometer:
    I've thought about removing the upper guard, my off reading is limited to driving over grass to my front gate... as I also have the sleet I was thinking maybe repainting the lower mudguard grey with some odd sleet-ish shapes on...
    TCBronson likes this.
  6. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Will do
    I hope to go there on Wednesday afternoon, getting my new calipers fited in the morning, and TTT will be a nice test run.
    whysub likes this.
  7. jcw64

jcw64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wednesday morning for my caliper replacements too.
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be very surprised if northern Illinois is not cooler than India. Chicago’s climate swings between sub-tropical in the summer (temperatures around 95ºF are common, with heat index above 100) and sub-Arctic in the winter (at least half the winter is below freezing, and rarely do we not get at least a few days below 0ºF). I ride my Himalayan year round, including two winters so far, and mine doesn’t seem to have the stalling problem. However, mine had a good 3000 miles on it before its first encounter with cold (sub-freezing) weather, as 2019’s fall was pretty mild—I was out riding a couple days after Christmas and it was still in the low 50s). I am still of the opinion that something on the bike must break in… or perhaps even learn. I know nothing of the proprietary software in the stock ECU, but I have read that most automotive ECUs do learn the particular characteristics of the motor they’re controlling. Some car manuals warn that performance and economy may decline a bit if the battery is disconnected (as this clears the ECU’s volatile memory). Battery’s been out of my Himalayan a few times, but it could be that the unit RE uses has non-volatile memory for parameter storage. Or not. It’s a black box.

This is one of the problems with modern computer controlled engines—the manufacturers are allowed to call the software a trade secret, so customers have no idea what’s actually going on in there.
    Doctor T likes this.
  9. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know what i mean sorry. tired.
    Dool likes this.
  10. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bomber Got em, we have a Deal, he gives a Good Reveiw or I post up his Address:clap
  11. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

I ain’t scared. I’m the father of a daughter.

;)
    Dool, BGRooster1 and CaptainTrips like this.
  12. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a daughter and two grandkids, and I work as a high-school substitute teacher. Ain’t nuthin’ can scare me!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  13. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the home page this morning, the announcement that RE is going to release a bigger Himalayan powered by the 650cc motor from the Interceptor/Continental GT. Likely to be a significantly different bike, heavier, more street-oriented (19” front wheel, and cast wheels as an option), more tech-y (TFT display, riding modes, etc.)… By the time it comes to the USA, my Himma will be around 50K miles, and I’ll be pushing 71 years old. Might be ready for a more street-oriented bike by then. Maybe.
  14. skimch

skimch Oh feck all Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im in Phoenix and mine is a stall monkey. :(
    Dool, zefnerd and diboblo like this.
  15. diboblo

diboblo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a throttle control to maintain 2k rpm, while the bike warms up. Had enough of babysitting the thing, until it is warm enough not to stall out, upon start up.

I'll post up results, ass soon as I fit it and test.

Bob
    Dool likes this.
  16. bomber60015

Oddometer:

Nah … not if I’m any indication …
  17. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    The Black Maggot got its new calipers today. No logo or Bybre on them. Only took an hour to fit but spent over 2 hours just chatting. The workshop manager showed me a dealer-only printout from RE India. It confirmes that there will be a scrambler type 650. Based on the interceptor frame. It will come with knobbies on 19/17" black wire wheels and perhaps the return of the high exhaust system that was an optional extra when the twin first came out. It will have a blackout engine. So basically it will be an interceptor with knobbies. Along with that, there will be a 650 custom version along the lines of the 350 Meteor. Must say sitting on a Meteor today, the seat is really comfortable and the feet control are just in the right place for my 30" legs.
    thumbnail_IMG_20211026_144221 (1)2.jpg
    O6 Himmy and zefnerd like this.
  18. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention that the dealer has developed their own 850cc conversion. It will be cheaper than the TEC/SS conversion. The first batch of heads made locally will be on sale in a few weeks.
  19. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the idea that cooler climates are the issue might not be 100% correct. I'm Texas and its currently 87 f here. I was able to resolve mine without adding or removing anything from the bike, what year is yours and what have you or your dealer tried?
    bomber60015 likes this.
  20. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    Also, India is huge … while much of it is killingly tropical, a great deal is temperate, with some being bloody fucking cold.
    Doctor T, zefnerd, Dool and 1 other person like this.