Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    That must make me fearless - three daughters
    Like the Himalayan mountains.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  2. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2020 cut out 3 times during the first 1600Kms, but did not cut out again until after the 5000Km service, done at 6000. After the service the bike idled at 1900 when hot but very inconsistent, and began cutting out agaln. Throttle response was always awful. It was impossible to ride smoothly at low speeds without slipping the clutch. Dealership just fitted a new throttle body, and now the bike idles at a steady 1000Rpm with no sign of cutting out. Only got it back yesterday so a few days of riding will be required to confirm the problem solved
    zefnerd and Dool like this.
  3. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I think we can dismiss climate as a cause of the stalling problem. The fact that yours seemed to improve after a throttle body replacement suggests it’s got something to do with air intake issues. And the fact that yours ran badly after the dealership did a service suggests there’s something tricky there. Wonder what they did to break it?

Along these lines, there was some talk about an ECM software update (at least in some markets). While there’s a chance this might help bikes that run badly, I think I’ll pass if it becomes available here. My bike’s running just fine, thank you, and I figure there’s at least a 50% chance that the software update is to improve emissions performance in some way (in other words, to lean things out further).
    bomber60015 likes this.
  4. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the department of “stop typing and just ride your motorcycle”:

D6CF869A-86B3-419D-A628-FC1137661D0D.jpeg

Nice day for a ride, especially since my work day ended at 11am (I was supposed to have a full day as a photography teacher, but due to a screwup only got one class period, half a day’s pay, and got to go riding; I didn’t complain). Went 115 miles. Stopped by my friendly dealer to pick up an air filter and chat about the Big Announcement. He’s a bit frustrated that people might delay purchases because of what’s promised three years from now. A valid concern…

Anyway, that’s about it for the season—I’m scheduled for shoulder surgery next Thursday. Tomorrow’s reserved for the Harley, Thursday and Friday are supposed to be cold and wet, off to see grandkids (in the car, sigh) over the weekend, then we’re down in the 40s next week. So, at the end of the trip I put stabilized gas in the tank, squirted a bit of oil into the spark plug hole and cranked her over a few times. That’s on top of valve adjustment and a new plug yesterday. She’s all ready to sleep till my shoulder’s out of rehab around the beginning of March.
  5. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the shoulder. I've had 6 surgeries and 2 under general manipulations of mine now. It is just as bad (well probably a bit worse due to arthritis) then it was the day the er doc shoved a square ball back in round socket. Hope yours goes better then mine. Find yourself a really good PT person!
  6. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So a replacement throttle body was the call from your dealer and that module includes a couple of sensors, MAP and TPS. Thanks, and I'm glad they got you sorted out so you can enjoy it.
  7. zefnerd

zefnerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Until I got my bike's cold natured tendency sorted out (TPS for the fix), I had used a couple/few extra hair bands and would attach them to the base of the left mirror, over the back of the handlebar, and down and around to the front to hold down the bi-starter lever so I wouldn't have to. I believe I saw someone post their rubber band version of the same. :)
  8. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Swap i have 3.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  9. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds promising, post again please after a few good rides. You may have the answer to some other owners problems.
  10. little ackman

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the surgery. I had total shoulder reconstruction about 7 years ago. That shoulder is probably better than the other one now due to bursitis ln the good? One
  11. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Throttle Body is not a very complicated unit and does very little, for the problems you speak of to be Rectified by the Dealer Replacing the 2 sensors and the throttle body combined would indicate ( to Me ) that they have no bloody idea what they are doing. Unless the throttle body was Physically worn at the Spindle, ( its only wearing part ) what they have done is Monkey see Monkey Do ie replace units until its working again, it could not have needed a new MAP and a new TPS and a New throttle body surely:hide
    Hows your Compass !
  12. little ackman

Oddometer:
    Hi Dool. Compass is probably as accurate as every other one. (Not accurate at all). I don't know what they did or what they replaced, but the bike now idles smoothly at 1000Rpm plus or minus nothing, and starts immediately. The low speed jerky throttle response has almost disappeared, and I am happy. Having said that I will be increasing the idle revs. Just a bit too slow for my liking
    zefnerd, Doctor T and Dool like this.
  13. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would be great to know what they did exactly. It is not listed on the receipt?
    Dool likes this.
  14. Dool

Oddometer:
    I wonder if there was batch of bad components , MAP sensors TPI etc , because having it idle now at 1000 is a change from what we hear of the complaints here.
    Perhaps this could explain why some have more problems with this than others, sure as, if there is a problem we will be the last know.
    Expect it to be Buried like the Frame Break Rumours:-)
    Doctor T likes this.
  15. Dool

Oddometer:
    Trade Secrets, Confidential etc etc.
    It would hardly say " we replaced things untill it worked again" which is probably true.:-)
    Doctor T likes this.
  16. Gryz

Gryz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I used to work on submarines, we called this the "shotgun" approach method to troubleshooting. Replace anything and everything that is easily accessible to get the thing working again.
    bomber60015, Doctor T and Dool like this.
  17. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    The “parts cannon”
  18. Dool

Oddometer:
    Could be RE's motto as well, MLG made like a Gun, maybe it should be MLSG, made like a shot gun. When it just seems like, " we got your money and we dont care":-)
  19. little ackman

Oddometer:
    No receipt it was done under warranty
  20. Dool

Oddometer:
    In all seriousness, this Stalling/cutting out problem is dangerous, I would bet that some people have sold their Bikes because of it and some have kissed the road when it happens.
    As they probably dont own a Himma any more we could hardly expect to see postings from them here.
    My last acquisition came from a Guy who had this problem amongst others ( lamp post help sway his hand ), how many good stories of RE Dealer support have you read?
    As opposed to the number of complaints of this nature.
    little ackman and Doctor T like this.