Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it seems substitution is the only way, things that test out OK perhaps fail or break down under load, or at higher revs, etc, etc.
    And sometimes it is cost effective too - no sense in spending hundreds of dollars trying to locate a $10- part .
    No one ever seems to mention the injector itself, but they can cause hard to find problems .
    And relays dud relays can be hard to find too!
    zefnerd and Doctor T like this.
  2. Dool

Dool Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Commercial in Confidence, Anyhow you have your bike back, that is a good thing but will they fix them all.?
    little ackman and Doctor T like this.
  3. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine was only taken seriously after I had contacted the ACCC and explained how dangerous this problem could be
  4. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably not, but if you contact the right people, attitudes can change. Having said that RE Australia have never replied to my complaints
    Dool likes this.
  5. Dool

Oddometer:
    I can just see the Three Monkeys ,Hear no Evil See no Evil Speak no Evil. In the Complaints department which is probably called " Customer satisfaction Unit" or some other term that describes exactly what it doesent do.:-)
    little ackman and Doctor T like this.
  6. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Classic troubleshooting methodology seems to be a lost art.
    little ackman, Doctor T and Dool like this.
  7. Dool

Oddometer:
    Not the only thing Lost. I went to 2 auto stores trying to buy Bearing Blue, had to explain what it was and ended up getting it at an Art Supply shop:-)
    Next time Ill ask them for a Points File !
    bomber60015 and Doctor T like this.
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah... I have been dealing with an intermittent P0442 OBD2 code on my Ford police cruiser, which lights the "check engine" light at inconvenient times. The code indicates a "small evap system leak," and I'd just ignore it if I didn't have to pass an every-other-year smog (OBD code read) check to renew its license plate. Trouble is, the (on-board) system can detect the existence of leaks too small to be located by any (shop) diagnostic system--holes smaller than the size of smoke particles used in the shop leak tests. The only way to fix one of these things is to start replacing valves, solenoids, hoses, sensors... until the problem seems to go away. Most likely causes are leaky hoses, but those hoses are so buried in the car that the labor quickly becomes more than a 12-year/110K mile old car is worth!
  9. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Classic troubleshooting methodology requires that the troubleshooter have some idea how the system is supposed to work. With more and more of the machine's functions being buried in proprietary software inside the black boxes, we're stuck having to come up with a model of how it works based upon things we can observe, and then hope we're something close to right. Damn hard.
  10. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too. Including one who has recently decided that he is the son that I never had. And my wife wonders why I want to become a lighthouse keeper.
    little ackman, motogoat and Dool like this.
  11. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you mean warmed up or cold? Mine won't idle at 1000 rpm when warmed up. No way. 1350 rpm is the spec.
    Dool likes this.
  12. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I wonder if it is simply a bad connection, solved by plugging in a new part.
    Beemerboff and Dool like this.
  13. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    RE Canada never responded to my complaint about the missing ABS warning light on the dash panel. So I complained to the regulatory folks and after investigating, they issued a national recall.
    Dool likes this.
  14. Old wobbler

Old wobbler n00b

Oddometer:
    I would not do that you might end up with a long weight
    Dool likes this.
  15. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s gotta be tough on the whole family … fingers crossed for the happiest possible outcome for all.
    CaptainTrips likes this.
  16. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a front wheel from a GL1000 into a Honda dealer to have a tire mounted and the kid who did the work wanted to know what the gizmo was on the hub. It was the mechanical speedo drive. He'd never seen one before.
    Doctor T likes this.
  17. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We call it "Swapnostics". Just keep swapping parts until something works
    Doctor T and bomber60015 like this.
  18. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed and if you are stateside contact the NHTSA with a complaint about stalling if you have it. Once there is enough people with similar issues they will open an investigation. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
    little ackman likes this.
  19. mgmaniac45

mgmaniac45 n00b

Oddometer:
    OK, I did the first maintenance on my Himalayan with 454 miles on it. Put in Motul 15-50 oil, checked over everything to tighten, adjusted the chain, checked the air filter, etc. At the same time, I put on 1-1/2" bar rizers, adjustable clutch/brake levers and Acerbis hand guards. Now the bike starts OK and will idle fine after warm up, but when I try to ride, as soon as I shift out of second into third, I start to get popping, skipping, loss of power and shortly after the bike does not respond to the throttle and stalls out. I've had to push it a few times now. I tried a new plug, no change. Finally got an appointment at the dealer and brought it in. They want $345 for the first service! They also said adjustable levers don't allow the switch in the housing to get activated. They had no answer to the stalling problem, so it's in their hands. I will probably get fleeced badly when I go to pick it up.
  20. benebob

benebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you adjust the valves? Why would you pay for the service if you just did it? Is the throttle cable too tight by chance? Did you overfill the oil?
    Doctor T and bomber60015 like this.