Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Anthiron

Anthiron Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for Sega

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    Nice to see a thread here on these bikes. I just finished a tour through India's Himalayas, we were on the RE 500 classics but we had a Himalayan on the tour as well. I'm 195cm so for me the ergonomics weren't good, position of the foot pegs in relation to the low seat etc, wasn't really made for someone of my frame size. However, on the roads we travelled this bike did an amazing job. I found the standing up position was really easy and made for handling the rough terrain so much better than the classic 500 bikes. It coped well with low speed technical stuff really well, seemed to be well balanced too. For the price I reckon it make sure for a great touring bike, just not for someone with my pegs.
  3. DangarStu

DangarStu n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have access to the online service manual that the technicians use? From what I hear Royal Enfield are unlikely to produce a printed service manual ever. It would be great to get some more critical servicing specs like these valve clearances. The full wiring diagram would also be awesome.

Stuart
  4. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a demo that had done 500km for $1000 less than the new price from Team Moto Springwood. So far so good. I've also put on the VPS Bark Busters on and tilted the screen forward. This has had a positive effect on air flow. I don't get knocked around so much...and I'm not really a short arse.
    I concur with the fuel 'countdown' or up?.? Bit useless. But what is interesting is the average speed/trip which I've never seen before.
    I've found the rear brake a little touchy and have crossed it up a couple of times on the bitumen. I guess I'll get used to it but I'd like the rear brake a tad less and the front a tad more.
    The seat is not comfortable enough for me and I think it's because I'm not up for sculptured seats, preferring flat seats like a dirt bike so I'll probably get it redone to suit.
    All in all it ticks all the boxes for me. I don't care that it doesn't have 400hp or traction control. I like simple. My only initial reservation was reliability and build quality. The reliability I'll find out...but then I've got a BMW in bits at the moment... the build quality is fine as far as I've seen so far.
    It's a very easy bike to ride and live with. I'd like a bit more sound but maybe I'll get that Continental silencer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attached Files:

5. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of comments from me, I find the screen in the up/forward position gives me more buffeting, I will try different helmets to address this.
    I adjusted the rear brake pedal lower, I still have full braking available, but no longer get the locking when going for the brake quickly.
    I also have the Himalayan option muffler, sounds nice and thumpy :-) was quite inexpensive also...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    pirate63 likes this.
  6. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So where do you get the optional muffler? My helmet is an Arai XD4...I also have a CRF230L and it gets knocked around on that but I must be just sitting in a sweet spot.
    I'll try adjusting the brake down a bit...I had sort of consciously backed off a little anyhow after locking a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  7. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got it from RE Sydney, was undee $270
  8. pirate63

pirate63 SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer:
    Fitted new tyres today.

Dunlop 606 on rear 130/90/17

Pirili on front MT21.

First impression after a quick squirt,very good...:)
  9. Nanin

Nanin Halfozze

Oddometer:
    Valencia-Spain-Europe / Banora Point-NSW-Australia
    Hi there

I've got one and I am 1,88cm, not as tall as you but a little bit more than the Indians,I found that the original set up was to crump for me so I used my old airhawk and sheep skin and here you go

IMG_20170912_205818.jpg

BTW does any one where to get the saddle bags racks for this bike in OZ?

Cheers
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are alll individuals, no I'm not !
    Same base that we make our own :-)

11. Nanin

Nanin Halfozze

Oddometer:
    So you are located at NSW? where abouts? is there any more Himalayan riders around here,Iam at Banora point 2486 NSW?
    Maybe we can start a rally,get togteher,event kind of thing,like BMW riders do :jack
    Farmer Roy and Richarde1605 like this.
  12. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Queanbeyan 2620, I know a few, another same postcode being delivered next Wednesday :-)
    A friend near Sydney would like a meet up early next year. He suggested Jindabyne, I countered with Bibbenluke, either way there are more getting around.
    Are you on any other media Nanin?
    Adv is very slow for me, and I can't find myself reposting the same pictures over and over again on twenty sites.
    I am on some Himalayan fb sites..
    Love to have a get together :-)
    R

Farmer Roy likes this.
  13. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a few in brisvegas, Banora looks terrible, hahaha. We are only waking from the winter cold. :-)

14. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a few places we have been :-)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Nanin

Nanin Halfozze

Oddometer:
    I am following few south American fb pages,Indians fb pages are only complaining about the most stupid things.
    Yes a get together for an overnight ride would be good

PIC_0023.JPG

Attached Files:

16. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Dangar has a nice video on the pannier racks that got from Donowyn Rodicks. The feedback has been all good to date.
    Nanin likes this.
  17. remzamora

remzamora Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello from a fellow Himalayan rider from the Philippines. I believe we share the same export model of the Himalayan, carburated, but they say, "better and improved" himalayan than the first gen version released in India.

Here's my Himalayan...

I recently added an aluminum top box but it is only relegated to light items as RE didn't mention maximum load of the rear rack.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
  18. remzamora

remzamora Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. Anthiron

Anthiron Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for Sega

Oddometer:
    Nice one Remzamora, I'm browsing through your thread now.

I ordered a Nomad 7.5L aux fuel tank while I was away at work and fitted it today.
    Had to weld three tabs onto the rear rack for it to bolt to.

Ran the plumbing under the seat and used a T peice to split the carb inlet so I can run both tanks or either tank at once.

Packed the bike with my gear for an infinite trip (Basically I could keep going forever with the gear on the bike, just needing fuel, food and water to be replenished)
    With the bike fully wet loaded it's all of a sudden quite heavy! 10 Litres of water, around 22 litres of petrol, 4 days of food, all camping gear and full tool kit with spares.
    Handling isnt quite as nice as with a lighter pack but all in all not too bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    balt, Mr. Goodkat, Webman and 4 others like this.
  20. Nanin

Nanin Halfozze

Oddometer:
    I've got the same nomad tank on my TTR250, I think I am gonna do the same
    IMG_20160823_152616.jpg

BTW which front fender is that?,looks good
    i22, Eatmore Mudd and Anthiron like this.