Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm sure their ramp up to those twins is making alot of things go on the back burner...like an ABS option any time soon.

I get the feeling very few people actually work at RENA vs the other Moto companies.
    JagLite likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ScotchmanDR and JagLite like this.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The old importer-distributor managed to get by with 125 Dealerships, 9 people 1 dog and a single bike platform.

RENA has what, a hundred or so Dealerships, a PDI center & distribution wharehouse, a headquarters with media relations / marketing, dealer sales & support, warranty, accounts and don't forget the flagship store and three bike base platforms so yup, they're smaller than the big four. That they're bigger here than some of the smaller European brands and the Chinese brand and that the sell more bikes world wide than H-D, BMW, Triumph and Ducati combined kind of puts it in perspective.

My guess on ABS is until they have a certain amount of them ear marked and locked in guranteed for North America they won't be saying anything about it.

I might not like it but I can't say I'd blame them either.
    eakins, JagLite and Flicka like this.
  4. Landsurfer74

Landsurfer74 The road goes on forever.

Oddometer:
    Rotherham. Coal Mining and Steel, now shame .....
    I bought a pair of Yamaha configured M10 Ryde adaptors / extenders from Amazon for £9.49 .... we'll see how they go ....
    Coopdway likes this.
  5. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Car/truck/jeep aluminum wheels are cast and will break not bend.

Motorcycle (spoke) rims are spun aluminum and will bend, not break.
    They can also be hammered back into shape with a rock.
    Not only are they lighter in static weight, the rotating mass is much less so the bike initiates turns easier/quicker, the brakes work better, and the bike feels much more nimble.

I'm cheap so I wouldn't change to aluminum rims before the stock ones need replacing but I sure wouldn't put steel rims back on!
    rockt, Flicka and fe2cruz like this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. Do they still have labor disputes at the factory and thus supply issues.

The funny thing about ABS is the other mfg talk about features per model year not when we can get it as you say. I'd love RENA to just say it's coming in late 2019 model year or it's a 2020 option but every communication is either it's coming... or more often no response.
  7. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    https://www.cycleworld.com/behind-design-motorcycle-wheels-from-archives#page-6
    JagLite, AZQKR, Flicka and 3 others like this.
  8. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JagLite, Bradster49, Bojer and 2 others like this.
  9. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The labor dispute was settled on November 13.
    eakins and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    yes, it "was" the same unit

bad news I would say

on the internet I find plenty os swap options, and all are the same model as the KTM duke 690.

from some info on the web, the fuel connector is somehow subjected to some forces, either the hose or the frame or the position itself, that brings it to break.

I would recommend to protect it maybe simply by fixing the hose with a braket of some sort.

I ordered many parts to study your system, if it is really a simple "strainer-only" system, the Injector is in danger, not only te cheap fuel pump

word to the wise

if it's a simply Strainer system, DO NOT use the mesh type strainers you will find as a cheap spare part on many internet sites.

Strainer Mesh type are designed to work in a three stage system, strainer, pump, main filter, your system seems to be designed to be without the main filter, thus the fuel pump may not be damaged much by dirty petrol, strainers work usually between 60 and 100 microns, but injectors require 10 microns in Petrol systems.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I will receive more data, should anyone of you have a broken pump, I would appreciate sharing the info or the part for deeper analysis.

cheers
  11. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was out riding and bike swapping with a chap on a Kawasaki KLR560 yesterday. The Kawasaki is quite a rare beast on this side of the pond as I believe they only brought them in briefly back in the nineties. I was quite impressed with it to be honest. I can understand why it'd be a tough decision between the two bikes if both were available to buy new. Likewise, the owner was quite impressed with the Himalayan. We both agreed the two bikes seem to be cut from the same cloth. Simple, durable, fun to ride.

[​IMG]
    Singulano, jwaller, mjhb and 7 others like this.
  12. TheQ

TheQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YESSSS! Got the call I´ve been waiting for the last few weeks - my Himma is repaired - eager to pick it up anytime soon.
  13. Flicka

Flicka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :wings Good news
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I know the EFI 500 pump has a large cone shaped cloth sock over it. The cone has a plastic "frame" molded into it. They have a reputation of being trouble free in the EFI 500 Bullet and Classic.
    My biggest concerns are gunk and water from lousy gas stations, gas cans and improvised transfer containers and also ultra fine "moon dust" from dry places. That dust gets into EVERYTHING. And mixed with any liquid it makes a fine lapping compound. Don't want any of that sneaking through a filter to the pump, the injector and to the piston rings.
    ScotchmanDR likes this.
  15. ScotchmanDR

ScotchmanDR aka MOTOBEAR

Oddometer:
    Yup; never filler-up in rain, sleet, snow and sand storms!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The KLR is infact getting updating, and probably Euro 5 not just US market, so they may show again in your world.

2019 was only a skip model year not a discontinued as previously released.
    fe2cruz likes this.
  17. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been looking at the KLR650 for years but could never bring myself to buy it.

If it wasn’t for the Himalayan I’d still be looking!
  18. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KLR is a really neat machine, but I was never crazy about having a chain driven counterbalancer. A counterbalancer is something that should be driven by a reliable gear set, preferably having a scissors type drive gear for noise reduction.
    fe2cruz likes this.
  19. ScotchmanDR

ScotchmanDR aka MOTOBEAR

Oddometer:
    And is that how the Himalayan is designed?
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Yes.

added:

Skip ahead to 2:20
    JBeK, ajpjive, fe2cruz and 3 others like this.