Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Baosity 2 Pieces Motorcycle Gas Fuel Tank Rubber Pad Protector Retro Cafe Racer: Amazon link

0C5DDD01-4D66-4706-B50E-D08F51AAF1E1.jpeg

Took about 3 weeks to arrive in AZ from China. They have quality 3M adhesive on them.
    mxz likes this.
  2. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the Nelson Rigg CL-2020 for some time and quite like it for longer trips. Very roomy but might be overkill for shorter trips around town.

[​IMG]
    CDRODA396 and twowings like this.
  3. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone lost one of the plastic caps that cover the swingarm bolt? Haven't been able to get one from RENA so I will be ordering from Ebay seller Autocustoms in India if he will send me one.
  4. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    2019-01-30_01-49-55.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. EMGuero

EMGuero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep that's right. Half the people here have ridden 3 or more people to a motorcycle, I know I have as well, so they have no problem hopping on and off a bike, and sitting still.

My GF is 5'2 and just about 105 pounds, so we can put bags on the bike and still fit the both of us.

This is her (with the helmet on) on the trip I mentioned to La Union for some surfing. One bag on the front and one on the back and still had plenty of room.
    [​IMG]

She prefers 4 wheels, but tolerates my bike love and goes on rides with me from time to time. We alternate and take her car occasionally (and she forces me to drive anyway).
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, I like that bag. It's about the size I was looking for to fit the Himalayan and pretty darn inexpensive! I prefer ones with straps for dual-sport bikes so I ordered the same model on Amazon that mounts with straps instead of magnets, it's even cheaper than the magnet mount one. :D

Electrify it with a panel mount SAE connector and it's ready to go. Here's the electrified version of my Africa Twin bag:
    IMG_0257.JPG
    CDRODA396 and Loadtoad101 like this.
  7. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure which magnetic model Nelson-Rigg I have; it's an older one and works great on a few of the bikes but it slopes down in back so far that on the Himalayan stuff flows out whenever it's open. I've turned it around on this one and others more than once but it just gets to be a nuisance. The goal was to make it work on a few tanks but now I bit the bullet and dedicated the new one with straps to the Him.

[​IMG]
  8. FarklePilot

FarklePilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Has anyone lost one of the plastic caps that cover the swingarm bolt?" Yep... me too.
  9. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if there’s a plumbing plug that would fit??

Is the tube big enough for storage of skinny items like cable ties, spare spark plug, etc?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, no room at all, there is a long swing arm bolt that goes thru there. The caps can be knocked off easily. Been trying for months to get a replacement. I am now trying to get one from the Ebay parts guy.
  11. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    So this is a problem with RE, parts availability and ordering. From what I’ve seen there isn’t an online fiche for parts available to order parts from anywhere, like pretty much any other brand has. Not aware of any US dealer or distributor who maintains any inventory. RE can increase dealers in the US like they’ve indicated but parts availability and ordering needs to be addressed and brought into the 21st century.
    tastroman likes this.
  12. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Matt TwoTired and Bojer like this.
  13. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Following the front tire... Hopefully... Supporter

Oddometer:
    A quick subject change here. I wanted to give a quick report on my trip in Mexico. I am in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca now. Just about 6000 Km/ 3700 miles on the REH. I have decided that I am probably more pleased with the performance of this bike (at this point), than any other bike I have owned. 15+, half pre-owned half new. With the exception of the luggage rack breaking on the super rough off-road jaunt, it has performed top tier. It goes where I have asked it to, plodding along slowly like a mule, or flying like a pony express horse at 70 mph when needed. And it didn't feel taxed out at either end. It doesn't accelerate like a Ninja, or do stoppies on command, but it is doing what I ask and when I need it. I am a happy REH owner!
  14. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oaxaca, I rode into town with the intentions of spending one night, 5 days later I left, love that city. I concur 100%, the more you travel on the Himmy the more sense it makes. It is a perfect little overlander.
    Eatmore Mudd and Richarde1605 like this.
  15. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Following the front tire... Hopefully... Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ricky
  16. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:

Where in SoCal are we talking? Wife and I are due to move to San Diego in a couple weeks.
  17. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to the parts manual
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KX...p9D43ff5oxGL80qmkWizQSgWJwL5Md46XPMw26ZEU-n4I
  18. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:

I'm sitting about 1 mile from their shop. I'll head over and ask tomorrow.
    Eatmore Mudd and Matt TwoTired like this.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I don't expect every dealer to stock every part, not even Harley and BMW do that. If your dealer doesn't have what you want, have them order it from the Central Distribution Warehouse and PDI Prep Center in Texas. If the dealer is slow then call Tim The Parts Guru at Royal Enfield Fort Worth. When it comes to pulling a rabbit out a hat, David Copperfield could learn a thing or two from this guy.
  20. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    The dealer in AZ doesn't have any parts except maybe oil filters and some gaskets I suppose, and when I test rode the Himalayan there the manager made it sound like they have a difficult time getting parts. But that's not really what I was getting at. I was thinking more like the online fiches at bikebandit or rockymountainatv or some dealers that allow you to view the parts diagrams for various makes, select parts, see how much they cost, and decide to order or not. I bought my bike at Micheal's place in Fort Worth so I don't have an issue calling that dealer (Tim, good to know) to get parts if need be, and it's good to know parts are stocked at the central distribution warehouse in Texas (if that's the case). Thanks for that info.