Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. DaveJFLA

DaveJFLA Cranky before Coffee

Oddometer:
    They have a couple in now, picked mine up yesterday
    Bar None likes this.
  2. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Murrieta, just a little north of San Diego.

Regards,

Ken
  3. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was at the dealer in Fort Myers FL a couple days ago and the salesman said that they have 4 2019s and I guess now 3.:clap
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    There most likely is. You could check McMaster-Carr, see what they've got. https://www.mcmaster.com/
  5. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    After you posted this I looked at mine last night. The right one came out pretty easy. The swingarm pivot bolt tube doesn't have any kind of lip in the inside for the plastic cap 'tongs' to grab onto, and it's painted with the same greenish-tan primer stuff I've noticed under the paint on everything else that's steel on the Himalayan. There was a lump of the stuff just inside the tube which prevented my plug from seating well. I scraped off the lump then wrapped one round of plastic electrical tape around the plug 'tongs' to make the fit a little firmer in the hole and more 'grippy'. It's in firm now.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. kokomoto

kokomoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would this be evidence of the leak that a few Hima owners have had a problem with? The pics are left and right side. The right side is dry. The left side, not so much.

Attached Files:

7. Bradster49

Bradster49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I contacted hitchcockmotorcycles.com and an engineer there confirmed that they are developing a big bore kit for the Himalayan in the way of a barrel and piston set that brings it up to 465cc that will be available soon. Combined with a powertronic system and a freeflowing exhaust quite a gain in the upper power band can be expected.Obviously no dyno figures or prices available at present but was it Mickey Thompson who said "The only thing faster than cubic inches is rectangular dollars" ?
  8. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That kinda sucks. How many miles on it? Do you ride it hard or easy? Inquiring minds want to know!
  9. dmusil

dmusil n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like the same leak I had. Snugged up the two bolts. Has not leaked since.
    Bojer, MrDralas and nathanthepostman like this.
  10. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine weeped from there not long into ownership (although not as much) and the dealer just nipped up those two nuts. And that solved it.

My head gasket did go a little while later mind. Fixed under warranty.
    MrDralas likes this.
  11. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, mine starting leaking and I tightened up the two visible nuts but that did not solve the problem. I had to get to the head bolts and re torque them. Seems to have solved the problem but I need to put some more miles on it to be sure.
    Bojer, Eatmore Mudd and MrDralas like this.
  12. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    That's the little bugger I lost. RENA is no use, ordered mine 2 months ago and haven't seen it yet. I tried the guy on Ebay and he never got back to me. I just sent him another email asking about it. I might have to make my own. The chrome one from Hitchcocks is the right item, but I think would look silly on a Himma!
  13. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Just finished up redoing my seat with the Seat Concepts high version of their seat. Had a real problem using 1/4" staples recommended in their instructions. Don't know if it was how short those staples are, or my electric staple gun, it pretty much just bounced off of the tough seat pan material. I went with 3/16 and I was barely able to make that work. I will probably have to tighten the seat up when we get some warm weather so the material will stretch, so I am going to get a air powered staple gun when I go to tighten things up.
    IMG_20190201_151513978_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20190201_150423908[1].jpg
  14. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Re the swing arm caps. Went out to measure the cap to see if I can find something that would work as a replacement. The one I have left just came off with barely any force at all. Hit it with a leg or a branch while riding and off it will come easily. The Inside diameter is 32mm, the outside 45.75 mm. I think I will attach mine with a little silicone sealant to keep them from popping off. Just went on Ebay and searched for round tube plug. Lots to choose from. The 32mm = about 1 1/8" or 1.259 inches. I think any in that size would work.
  15. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still waiting to see about an ABS 2019, so no REH here to pull a swing arm cap off of. If someone can loan me one, I can 3d scan it or mock one up in CAD. We should be able to come up with a sturdier, more secure system--maybe a cap with an o-ring channel?
    Bradster49 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  16. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Man, that would be sweet! That 3d technology is a modern wonder.
  17. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking good! My weekend schedule is full, so today drove by the local auto/motorcycle upholstery shop just to see....they said $40, ready Monday, so I went ahead on passed it on to him. I cant wait to jump on it and ride, supposed to be in the 70's here next week!
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  18. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the end of the day the himma delivers exactly what it says on the box.
    It is far too 'low' powered to people who want full weather protection and 100mph cruising speeds.
    But as enthusiasts like to tweak things it is a great example of a great base.
    Buy one, tweak one, enjoy one.
    JagLite, Matt TwoTired, azgsa and 4 others like this.
  20. DaveJFLA

DaveJFLA Cranky before Coffee

Oddometer:
    46B3118B-CD0D-454E-93A4-D9B72F6C773E.jpeg
    Yep...I think 2 of the others were sold...need a free weekend from work to run up some miles...