Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Landsurfer74

Landsurfer74 The road goes on forever.

Oddometer:
    Rotherham. Coal Mining and Steel, now shame .....
    On its way to The Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire..... $5.37 .... !!!! .. It's for nothing .. as we say ...
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Street legal + stock muffler = yes, it qualifies.
    Non street legal + stock muffler = maybe (need to check).

Motorcycles that are designed for trail have spark arrestors, motos designed for track do not have spark arrestors (Enduro vs MX).
  3. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Here's the USFS page on spark arresters. Like Viking said, any bikes manufactured for off-road use (enduro/dual-purpose according to the doc) have spark arresters.

If you ever question it, just check yours the way the Forest Service does (from USFS page):

"With the engine off, and using a penlight, look into the spark arrester to visually ensure that the interior has not been removed or altered. You may be able to see the interior section that deflects the exhaust. Use a narrow rod, such as a 8-in wooden dowel, to gently feel for the internal parts of the arrester. Check how far you are able to insert the wooden dowel internally and cross check this measurement with the outside of the spark arrester/muffler. This will indicate whether you are able to pass the dowel the length of the arrester/muffler. If you are able to pass the dowel the total length, it is not a qualified arrester."
  4. emel800

emel800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have to agree with you my himalayan runs much better with the evap disconnected because it no longer stalls evey time i get to the bottom of a long downhill stretch when the throttle hasnt been open . i think the valve in the evap was faulty and the suction from the throttle body wasnt opening it causing a vacuum to build up in the fuel tank thus causing fuel starvation
    Jimnich likes this.
  5. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Electrifying a tank bag for the Himalayan.

First, thanks to Loadtoad101 for his original post tip on the Chase Harper tank bag. The strap mount version of that bag turned out to be the perfect fit on the Himalayan for me. Only thing left was to electrify it.

Ingredients: Chase Harper 450BCNW strap mount or 450M magnetic mount tank bag (or any other bag of your choice), SAE panel mount, SAE connector OR SAE connector AND and included USB charger, and some stainless hardware:
    [​IMG]

1) Solder together the SAE panel mount and SAE connector, and heat shrink connections. IMPORTANT: Keep track of the SAE connector polarity when wiring up accessories. The black and red wires sometimes go to different sides of the connectors (male/female) depending if the connector is to be used for source 12VDC or attached to an accessory.
    2) Mark tank bag for initial SAE panel mount large center hole.
    3) Make initial large center hole (I used an old soldering iron which melts right through the tank bag material).
    4) Insert SAE panel mount into new center hole and then mark the bolt holes.
    5) Make the bolt holes through the bag material and inspect/remove any remaining pieces of stray plastic before mounting connector.
    [​IMG]

6) Add some silicone sealant around the outside holes for waterproofing. Good practice even though this tank bag isn't 'waterproof'.
    7) Mount the SAE panel mount connector using stainless hardware. You'll have to compress the tank bag foam side stiffener to get the inside nuts and washers on the bolts because you'll want to use bolts that are short enough so they don't extend too far into the bag and mess up anything inside (phone etc) while your riding.
    8) Mount bag on bike and connect to SAE 12VDC power lead you've previously installed (my wiring was installed using this method).
    [​IMG]

Use a SAE connector type 12VDC-to-USB charger inside the bag to charge phone etc. I already had a Battery Tender brand one but you could buy the one I mentioned above that would come with a SAE cable you can use for the bag wiring. Or use any SAE plug-in accessory in the bag.
    [​IMG]
  6. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's pretty common for the rubber hose from tank to the evap stuff is pinched when the tank is mounted which will result in frequent stalling. Easy fix by re-routing the hose so it doesn't get pinched.
  7. emel800

emel800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for that but i had already rerouted the vent pipe along the left side of the top frame tube and that stopped it stalling everytime i had to stop anywhere very annoying!but as i said it still kept stalling at the bottom of hills. one thing i have noticed is that the tickover has now increased from 1200rpm to 1500rpm does that mean its running better
  8. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Emel800, If you have not done so already, might I suggest you check the boot connecting the carb or injector to the head. If your idle is coming up, and you have
    a stalling issue, there is a slight chance the boot is loose, or cracked, allowing a vacuum leak. Maybe not, but very easy to check for tightness, and a shot of ether on the boot while running can tell a story.
  9. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where can I get the USB plug part?
  10. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nvm. Just click on the ingredient (in blue.) Duh.
  11. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
  12. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    That SAE stuff and usb charger is pretty cheap, do you have any experience re how reliable they are? Does you know if the SAE stuff is rated at 5A or 15A (it doesn't seem to say), as I also want to be able to power my air pump from the SAE connector.

Cheers,

Adrian
  13. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on the brand. Battery Tender brand comes with a 7.5 amp fuse and I have another brand that has thicker wires (10-12 gauge) that came with a 10 amp fuse.

Regards,

Ken
    Eatmore Mudd and Adrian V like this.
  14. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    The smallest gauge wire I've seen with SAE pigtail connectors is 16 AWG but there are some out there that are 18 gauge I'd stay away from. It's usually 10 or 12 gauge, which is overkill in most MC applications IMO. The ones I linked to are more than adequate for tank bag type charging. For running your air pump it's best to have a SAE connector wired directly to the battery with a fuse in-line so you can use it when the bike is off, not in a circuit that's switched with the ignition like a tank bag would usually be. It would be the same connector you can use to keep a charge on the battery when not frequently using the bike. Usually down on the side is best so that the pump power wire will stretch far enough to reach a tire you may be working on or a friends tires if he needs air. Most air pumps, like the Slime pump for instance, will draw an initial 15 amp or so current starting up, then only 5-10 amps max. So you need a 20A fuse.

The Fort Worth dealer I bought my Himalayan at wired in an SAE plug pretty much like this one. Looked like 16 gauge wire which is fine for the short run, just needs the 20A fuse in it for use with a pump. I added the "BMW syle' socket because my pump and heated gear still has that style plug from my GS and XChallenge days.

IMG_0331-001.JPG

As far as reliability, no problem with any of the connectors since SAE is such a simple design. Not sure about the 5V USB chargers. I've usually gotten automotive types at the store and hard wired to an SAE connector. But the little SAE-USB ones look good to me. The ones with the blue voltage meters on them are sold all over the place on the net.
    Eatmore Mudd, CarstenB and Adrian V like this.
  15. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got home from work and the first thing I do after saying hi to the wife and the dog is look at this thread. I am frequently amazed at the the folks on this thread that come up with all the great ideas and mods for the bike. Just want to give a shout out and thank you to all those that contribute and post amazing stuff about our bikes.
  16. emel800

emel800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks i never thought of that i will give it a try later and let you know how it goes
  17. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for responding. I've looked at a few of these SAE connectors and some don't give any indication of wire size. I've even seen one that comes supplied with a 15A fuse, but then goes on to the wire was only 5A max :loco……

Re your set up, you may want to reconsider using a 20A fuse to protect 16 gauge wire, as the max recommended fuse size is usually 7.5A, more here http://bdfuses.com/fusesnwires.php

As you say air pumps can draw a fair bit on start up and I'm looking for 15A rated SAE stuff, which equates to 12 gauge or larger wire.

Yup those SAE USB chargers look great, but the optimate ones I was intending to get are a lot more $ than the one you linked to, hence my question re whether people have used and rate the one you linked.

I totally agree with loadtoad101, this thread is a great resource :thumb.

Cheers,

Adrian
    azgsa likes this.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I'll vouch for this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FloydNY, azgsa and Adrian V like this.
  19. Ice_German

Ice_German Stoked

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with A4 Moto Designs about getting engine guards delivered to the US?
    Cheers.
  20. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two Wheel Tourist from thiland has just posted all of their parts on ebay they are a good source for a lot of aftermarket parts and specialty items