Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Ice_German

Ice_German Stoked

Oddometer:
    No doubt. I will be getting a few of their products eventually. Right now I'm thinking about engine guards. I'm digging the full protection and lines of the A4 Moto design, but they're impossible to get into contact with.

Attached Files:

2. Toogzweire

Toogzweire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This crashguard looks great, indeed.
    As I am preparing the homecoming of my new Himmi, any one of you guys have the SW-Motech guard installed?
    Wonder whether it's easy to do a filter change with the guard on the bike?

T
  3. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    K
    I’ve been trying to get the A4 Moto guard too. About a month ago the owner sent a reply said they needed to get PayPal in order, but no responses since.
  4. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Yeah, wire length plays a big part of the current capacity too. 1.5’ of 16ga (length of mine) has minimal voltage drop for a 15A startup surge of a pump and is adequate for sustained 5A current loads by the pump or a battery charger.

The SAE stuff I’ve bought in the past from solar places is 12GA and it’s what I used in the tank bag because I had it, but it’s way overkill for phone charging stuff. Best price I've found on the heavy duty SAE stuff was at http://solarseller.com/
    Adrian V likes this.
  5. Biddles

Biddles Suck it easy!

Oddometer:
    So now that the Himalayan 650 is confirmed, how do you guys feel about it? I really just hope it has the same looks and ergonomics of this bike.
  6. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Link?
  7. Landsurfer74

Landsurfer74 The road goes on forever.

Oddometer:
    Rotherham. Coal Mining and Steel, now shame .....
  8. whm3223

whm3223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "The current-gen motorcycle is a failure for this impressive moniker"

Jesus. Harsh.
  9. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Opinions are like assholes, don't read too much into one or the other.
  10. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Still speculation, not a RE announcement. Note in that article "As Royal Enfield’s CEO Siddhartha Lal has already hinted at a bigger Himalayan..." That image is a hopeful rendering, not a RE photo. The real proof will be in the pudding IF RE actually introduces a 650 Himmay. Of course the extra HP will be an added welcome gain, but at what cost in added weight? The current bike is at that magic 400lb weight limit and if a 650 pushes the 450lb margin then it's in the same ballpark as the F800GS at 456lbs wet (and 85HP).

I still think the current Himmay is exactly the minimalist simple retro designed adventure bike it was meant to be, for the crowd that doesn't need to go fast. That's the appeal for me. Slow down and watch the world.
  11. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, I agree on the weight/bulk thing. I just read a review of the 650's in Rider magazine and they measured the wet weight of the Interceptor at 473#. If they make a 650 Himalayan I think it will be more of a scrambler version of the existing Interceptor and GT. So cool looking and comfy but not the off-road capable mule that the current Himalayan is.
  12. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've heard ramblings of a Scrambler version, which makes sense given current models the competition has out there. RE already has the actual 1901 retro mantra going for it that the scramblers all try to achieve. :-)
  13. MtnGoat3

MtnGoat3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
  14. whm3223

whm3223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was surprised to read something that harsh, but I guess the Indian market hasn't forgotten the first run of problematic bikes. We've been lucky in the rest of the world!
  15. Bradster49

Bradster49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a look on the SW site there is a install pdf and it looks fine to me
  16. Biddles

Biddles Suck it easy!

Oddometer:
    Definitely agree with the "Slow down and watch the world" statement. That was one of my main reasons behind potentially buying one as the speed of my Ninja 1000 can get me in trouble. But on the other hand I can see a real benefit of the extra 10 or 20+ HP. I'd really like to see other bike companies make direct competition for the Himalayan. I'm in love with its looks, and no other bikes have that style. They might have better suspension, or a better engine, but there's no bike in my opinion that looks this good and can do everything it does. If Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki made a similar style bike I'd be all over it.
    PullingG's and azgsa like this.
  17. MtnGoat3

MtnGoat3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought I heard mention somewhere, maybe here, that there was room in the current Himalayan gearbox for a 6th gear. Same as on the 650 twin. Wonder if it would be possible to retrofit our bikes w 6th gear? Would be great for the highways. We would not have to change our sprockets and would still have the original gearing that makes the bike good off-road.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I heard that rumor but until there's something more concrete to go on lets call it speculation so we don't get our hopes up too much.

The Interceptor 650 is up in Gearing Commander if any anybody wants to play around extrapolating 6 speed gear ratios with the LS 410 front and rear sprockets and torque & horsepower curves.
    MtnGoat3 likes this.
  19. whm3223

whm3223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of a torque/hp curve, I have yet to see an actual dynamo chart. Did I miss something? When I've googled, nothing. I have a good idea from riding, but it would be interesting to see one.
  20. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my own dyno and when the weather warms up some I will post some dyno curves.

Regards,

Ken
    Richarde1605 likes this.