Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Bradster49

Bradster49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    India is an amazing, diverse , beautiful place full of incredible people who exist within the greatest democracy on earth without as much structure as we have in the west which unfortunately gives them a mindset that enables them to make 'friday afternoon' vehicles etc all week. But I am happy to say things are getting better.
    BillO1s and Flicka like this.
  2. Mr. Goodkat

Mr. Goodkat The Dude abides......

Oddometer:
    Could be! I'm not really worried about it but I read some things about it about 200 pages back so I figured I'd ask while the tank is off.

I moved the hose a bit and thought about putting some electrical shrink wrap around the hose where it bends to see if that would help it hold it's shape vs twisting it kinking.
  3. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    Friday afternoon vehicles all week

Hmmmm
  4. stevenatleven

stevenatleven Adventurer

Oddometer:

rubbed wires.jpg

I have had rubbing issues as well and re routed and wrapped some of the wires in gorilla tape. Actually might take the wire frame off eventually. When you take the tank off there are a few wires that look particularly vulnerable to wear and damage.
  5. Mr. Goodkat

Oddometer:
    It's a good thing to look for and no bike or manufacturer is exempt from the possibility. Last May I picked up a new leftover 2014 VStrom 1k and one of the warranty recalls was too have the main wire harness under the tank relocated and wrapped in extra tape. There were a number of cases where the harness was rubbing through and grounding through the tank in as little as 5000 miles or less. 8200 miles later I haven't had a problem.

With the tank off this is the perfect time to add a little protection. I don't care for electrical tape though. It never seems to hold well in my v experience. I've never used gorilla tape but I have something called "skaters tape" I think. It's pretty tough stuff, has good adhesion, and I think it would work well at protecting wires and hoses.
  6. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    True. My old Yamaha conked out a hundred miles from home and it turned out to be insulation on several wires passing through the headlight shell had rubbed through on the edge of the opening. Not too hard to fix once I figured it out.
  7. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wiring harness on my 1992 BMW GSPD grounded to the frame at the steering neck. Burned up the entire main wiring harness to a crisp. Turned out to be a boat load of work and the new harness was very expensive. When installing the new harness I used an extra portion of plastic harness sleeve in the suspect area and rerouted the harness to avoid the problem.
    If there is wiring chaffing, take care of it when you discover it, it does not get better by itself.
    Mr. Goodkat likes this.
  8. Flicka

Flicka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If someone can, could take the size of the needle bearings on the swing arm?
    I'm looking for an alternative to OEM spare parts.
  9. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    On the Himalayan it’s no problem to do, with the stock tires. Can even patch the tube with out removing the rim.

29C462CA-1CE0-487B-BA6A-A6AAA4FB03B8.jpeg 14F376F2-8394-4332-8817-81CB10763E71.jpeg
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. Those panniers look familiar. Are they just rebranded or some cheap knock-off?
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick question. Can you easily remove the rear luggage rack & passenger seat?
    2796043A-50F1-48A1-B48C-EF6BACD78E4B.jpeg
    How does it look? Anyone have a photo without the rack & pillion?
  12. UPMotoTouring

UPMotoTouring Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing some electeical work on my Hima in the next week, and I'm planning on using gaffers tape for any securing/reinforcement. Duct tape strength without the mess and is used in media for taping down wires. Matte black.

If you get some, don't skimp on quality. You might turn into a tape-nazi when your wife decides to use it for menial tasks. Not that I have experience.
    JustMikey and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  13. Mr. Goodkat

Oddometer:
    I'm new to the bike but I have the seat and tank off now. The pillion is actually released with the key first then the main saddle comes off. I think a custom cover would have to be made that uses the latch pin from the pillion seat so it can cover the pillion location and still hold down the main saddle.

I'm not sure about the rack and haven't looked closely as how to remove it.
  14. Mr. Goodkat

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try the gorilla tape and today I'm going to the store that carries it anyway. I'm sure both gorilla and affers are better than electrical tape.
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Tail rack comes off with our bolts. It'd look funny without the passenger saddle, there's a tool tray molded in the fender underneath it.

I don't think they are rebranded. If they were the price should be higher. They are very good quality. And the aluminum is 2.5mm thick with stainless hardware. I think we're safe to call them a good close copy.
    AZ Mtn Girl and Oilhed like this.
  16. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get some of the spiral wrap. Excellent to help with chafing of wires. You can get it in black too. Built missile harnesses with this stuff in my day. Nothing as harsh as the aviation or marine environment.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  17. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a photo with the rack removed:

IMG_20190209_171655.jpg

I've also made a tray to replace the passenger seat but don't have a handy photo.

Regards,

Ken
    Davethestick, Tomocan, Oilhed and 2 others like this.
  18. sdbruns

sdbruns Potemkin villager

Oddometer:
    White ones ARE the fastest.
    AZ Mtn Girl likes this.
  19. Mr. Goodkat

Oddometer:
    Where do you normally get that?
  20. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer: