Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    And I say unto thee, blessed be those who got a 2019 in the US w/o ABS, for it is they who have received simpler manifestation. Yea, go forth with lesser weight, and larger pocketbook, and worry not about adding thyself an off switch or removing thy ABS fuse so ye may stopeth on dirt.

So it is said.
  2. little ackman

little ackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Workhorse. Could you let me know if you do come across the EFI version, and what the price difference is. Also any difference in how both feel. Thanks.
  3. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    Will be down there tomorrow so I'll pop in if my ageing brain doesn't forget.
  4. Toogzweire

Toogzweire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AMEN!
  5. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have updated my post #6974 as Ken pointed out since that there is a drain hole with a duckbill fitted. It is just behind the back shock, so that's good. Would be a good thing to let the bike stand for a bit is there is any suspicion of water in the airbox.
    duckbill.jpg
    Bar None and Mr. Goodkat like this.
  6. Bultaco74

Bultaco74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my new Himalayan pops out of 5 th gear unless I hold my foot under the shifter. Only 5th gear.
  7. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    try adjusting the clutch
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    That's no bueno. Sorry to hear it. I'd be calling the dealer.
    Bar None and CDRODA396 like this.
  9. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second on that. My shifts were getting sloppy, so I "adjusted" the shift linkage. All I really did was loosen the two lock nuts on the cable and turned the "turnbuckle" to remove the loose slack. There was enough slop that I believe the gears were not being solidly positioned.
    First picture shows clutch adjuster, all this does is take slack out of the clutch lever. Mine is adjusted so it engages with the handlebar clutch lever about halfway out.

Second picture is likely where the problem is. I loosened the lock nuts and adjusted the turnbuckle to remove the slack, just the slack, no more. I think this is normal and expected while breaking in. Gears engage more positively now.

My dealer is 120 mile round trip, and I have zero confidence in them. I bought this bike because I felt it is low tech enough that I can deal with most anything that would go wrong with it.

Attached Files:

Bar None, Bojer and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it was the clutch, wouldn't it effect all the gears, not just 5th? I hope that's all it is and not something more serious but I've never heard of a bike jumping out of gear and only needing a minor clutch adjustment to solve the problem.
    Bultaco74 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. catundaseskin

catundaseskin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There have been bikes in the UK with that problem. It seems that using semi synthetic oil improves the gear change. For some reason the bikes don't seem to like fully synthetic oil
  12. T500Titan

T500Titan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    “And I say unto thee, blessed be those who got a 2019 in the US w/o ABS, for it is they who have received simpler manifestation. Yea, go forth with lesser weight, and larger pocketbook, and worry not about adding thyself an off switch or removing thy ABS fuse so ye may stopeth on dirt.

So it is said.”

Can I get an Amen! You got mine. The great news is the marginal increase of some $250 US for ABS will attract all the average lesser mortals (some of you do not fit in that category just want the back up system). They are going to end up having trouble selling the non abs bikes, and supply demand = lower price for the non-abs fans. Hurray! For the upcoming non-ABS blowout!
    Am I crazy buying my Brake pad upgrade before I actually own said bike? For $13 I got the right stuff according to the Frenchmen who ride their women hard and their bikes harder. I should know i lived there for a few years. $13 is a solid committment for a bike. A lot cheaper than a ring!

Good news here
    Bruce

Attached Files:

13. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Anyone using the bike for much off-road riding, or more 'seasoned' riders, would opt for a non-abs I would think. If they had an ABS and non-ABS bike sitting side-by-side even for the same price when I picked mine up I'd have taken the non. I can understand why some would choose ABS though...
  14. workhorse

Oddometer:
    Hi Bruce
    Youre a mind reader as I was about to ask if anyone had found some softer/more bite pads for the front.
    My test ride today almost saw me up the end of a car. Wooden no feel and worse than my 32 yr old g/s .Dealer thought there was still a film on the disc, almost killed me.
  15. workhorse

Oddometer:
    My knock on my head has affected me. Spoke to him for ages but forgot .Will be there again next week .ApilApolo
  16. Bultaco74

Bultaco74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turnbuckle only moved shifter up and down. Clutch is adjusted properly. Only pops out in 5th. Thinking 5th gear shares shaft with 2nd. Anyone have a manual.
  17. wintrup

wintrup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And one dicta
  18. wintrup

wintrup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the bolt size for the threaded holes that run under the tank guard Royal Enfield plate?
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    6 mil iirc. won't be able to tell you for certain till later but if anybody has the parts book, it'll tell ya the thread pitch and diameter.
  20. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer: