Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm Sure does in the engineering world. Many assemblies have been designed where, if all components are at tolerance limits, the product doesn't work as designed. Usually, it is when some stack-up path has many parts involved. Statistics allow the stack-up to work by showing that having all parts of the assembly at extreme limits is so rare that the probability becomes an acceptable risk.

But yeah..Jumping out of gear is usually damaged or faulty shift forks, rails, drum shaft, or detent mechanism.
    Matt TwoTired likes this.
  2. Tassie Tragic

Tassie Tragic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mate

but bummer

I have C Bow racks on my Guzzi and I tried to contact H&B a couple of months ago to see if they would bring out C Bow racks for my Himalayan.
    No reply; so ordered and just fitted the standard REH pannier racks. No problem with those but would have preferred to being able to use my H&B bags on both bikes.

cheers
  3. Tassie Tragic

Tassie Tragic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doctor T likes this.
  4. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Very true re wombats I had friends down in Vic. who had front end of their car destroyed by hitting one.
  5. Bradster49

Bradster49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Four weeks is a long time, google the part and you maybe find one on ebay or amazon India?
    CDRODA396 likes this.
  6. T500Titan

T500Titan Adventurer

Oddometer:

Transmissions and exactly how they work is not entirely clear to me. All my experiences were when bike were under load (heavy Torque output) I have experienced popping out of gear because I didn’t shift hard enough, I have also experienced this with a beat up dirt bike, I think shifter forks were bent. Also owned a Moto Guzzi that popped out regularly if you weren’t deliberate with shift. I suppose it’s also possible as described elsewhere that bikes could suffer from this during the break in process, but that still is a concern. When a bike shop on dyno duplicates the problem like that with bike popping out of gear under load, it shouldn’t ever happen. Don’t recall people mentioning this before in all my readings.

My concern is whether production changed, more likely parts issue. We should keep track of engine serial numbers afflicted with this offensive behavior, and what remedies are offered by the factory.

I found the following info from other threads

They mention these possibilities:
    -Selector fork - get bent like my best up dirt bike, but we are talking new bikes here!

-Selector drum - rotates up or down as you shift. Poor tolerances That improve as riders shift their bikes up and down? Anybody notice metal fillings during first oil changes?
    Magnetic drain plugs might be very good idea!

- dog teeth/rings - see expiation below

-improperly shimmed gear sets, which may affect engagement of dog rings. Setup on production line?

“dog rings which are driven along the gear shaft by the selector forks. They engage into the face of the gear locking it to the shaft and should have a slightly trapezoidal shape - being 'longer' at the far end than near the face of the ring. That shape means that under load they pull themselves into the gear. If they've had the corners knocked off, there's nothing to stop them working back out under load.”

Whatever it is, I want to know. I was thinking that things would be getting better into 2019, not worse. Do I have to look for a certain production range, like a fine bottle of wine? Lol.

Time will tell....
    Ricardo76 and Bultaco74 like this.
  7. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The FAA and SAE beg to differ. As for the engineering, Pierre Terblanche and Lester Harris & Co. forgot more than I'll ever know so it's safe to say it's good.
    whysub likes this.
  8. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes at mine's first oil change it had a gray/silver sheen to it. Even the second oil change had a little bit too.
  9. Kiwiscoot

Oddometer:
    There is always tolerance stacking with anything made up of individual parts. Parts are manufactured with a plus/minus tolerance. Fit them all together and those tolerances gets summed/stacked up. If the design does not cater for the tolerance stack-up, well then you have an issue and then there is the expansion/contraction of the parts with temperature too. Sometimes just a change of raw material supplier can cause issues too as the raw material composition specifications have tolerances too. Engineering is the art of juggling compromises...don't ask me how I know.:hmmmmm
  10. Kiwiscoot

Oddometer:
    Nahhhh.. no waiting, it's all in the moment... the "best" is always in the moment...just like the best wine is the bottle your sipping from so the best bike is the one your are riding on at the moment.:-)

Enjoy your sip and ride but put some time between both activities.
    T500Titan and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. T500Titan

T500Titan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting the world know. Does anyone know what the size and thread of the drain bolt is? I am going to seek out a magnetic plug to use as soon as I get mine.
    Bruce

Didn’t take long, Lol, the power of the internet!

https://www.drainplugmagnets.com/royalenfieldmotorcycle.php
  12. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've cleaned up 13 roos and a wombat without coming off. A K100RS can be a fair tank...
    Eatmore Mudd and gavmac like this.
  13. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I asked about stators from enfield Sydney about a year ago they were $165 and in stock dunno
  14. Ricardo76

Ricardo76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the subject of jumping out of fifth: there have been several reports now so it's definitely something we should be keeping an eye on. Mine's done it twice, both times between 400 and 600 miles. ie: after the first service and with the bike being ridden a bit harder and faster.

Another weird thing: riding a long way at night last week the Oxford heated grips began behaving peculiarly when they'd previously been fine. First of all the left one didn't come on at all, then it did but the temp of both grips seemed uneven and variable, then later the whole system tried to switch itself off a couple of times. My theory regarding the last of these is it detected lack of supply (sensing the ignition was off). I wonder if it was all to do with running the Givi spotlights for the first time. In other words, more juice was being drawn than replaced. I connected my C-Tek charger the next day and it took several hours to charge the battery. Surely the batt should have been full to bursting after a long, fastish ride.

I guess I need to do more miles, more tests. So far 600 miles in just five rides.

Don't get me wrong l'm not whinging - I like the bike a lot.
  15. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you where running the grips, spot lights and with the bikes lights running, your probably exceeding the alternator max output.
  16. kokomoto

kokomoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If only there were a forum of some sort to find the answers to these questions....
  17. sdbruns

sdbruns Potemkin villager

Oddometer:
    I must agree. It does seem a bit too substantial for the service it claims to perform (not often you can say that) and it looks like it might cause all sorts of mayhem should conditions suddenly warrant an over the bars exit from the motorcycle. I'm happy to leave it off as well.
  18. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My is non-abs 2018 model.

I locked my rear break up a couple times on payment so I would have preferred abs model but it would need to be switchable.

I haven't locked up the front brake and so far I don't think it's easy to do.
  19. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking that too, however, yesterday I was in a turn leaning and my boot "kissed" the pavement. Longer pegs with have put my foot closer to the pavement in that turn.

The bike with factory tires will lean more than I expected or maybe it was just my long feet but I will need to make sure I don't repeat that!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    gavmac,
    Sorry about your off . Thanks for your photos.
    Note to self reminding me to always wear a full face helmet.
    IMG_20190324_112944.jpg
    CDRODA396 likes this.