Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you feel you need to raise the bars or do they feel good?

I raised my seat 1” and feel I could do same to the bars!
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  2. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine feel better than before, more relaxed. I didnt raise them.
  3. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the tall seat as well. I ended up raising them 7/8’s of inch in order to fit bark busters. I bought the Himalayan ones but they would touch my dash before full lock, kinda weird no one else had this problem. Maybe even one else mounts their controls and busters higher then I have mine. I do have to say tho, the RE aluminum bars and the barkbuster can take a beating, lots of drops on mine....none off road just a lot on pavement. The RE engine guards less so, so they will be getting a gusset in about a week when I get home.
  4. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of us with hand guards(Barkbusters) have the issue that the guards touch the screen before full lock. There is no way to fit them without it happening.
    MrDralas likes this.
  5. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pro screen in the forward position my barkbuster storm hand guards just clear lock to lock
    Eatmore Mudd and MrDralas like this.
  6. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Barkbusters on both my wife's bike and mine. Both windshields are in the forward position, and both "just" clear the windshield and the dash, lock to lock. It didn't happen on the first go, nor easily, it's kind of like a Chinese puzzle, you just gotta keep trying, and patience is the key!
  7. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL. I stand corrected. Guess I should just be more patient and try again.
  8. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    It doesn’t touch the windshield, or well what’s left of it. They would touch the dash before anything else. So 7/8 made them not touch it anymore. I think the kit came with enough spacers to lift it 1 1/4 or some thing but after filing the holes for 4 of them to fit that was enough of that for me. They are still wayyy taller then clipons and I think any taller would bother my bummed shoulder.
  9. xbok

xbok Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody else having issues with the gear indicator ? Also, any recommendations for a different wind shield? The buffeting can be annoying so I’m looking for a different setup.
  10. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm considering getting a taller handlebar but don't know which one.

Renthal has low, med, tall, which one??
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/renthal-street-handlebars-78
  11. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a way, just put bar risers on. I had same problem, put on rox risers and problem solved. I ride on narrow mountain roads and need full stop when turning around so I had to fix the issue.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  12. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    I cut my shield down so it’s smaller and buffet is no more problem, there’s also a taller one available.

This is what it looks like meow
    C41F9329-5778-4C86-A7FA-6808949FE870.jpeg
    88F893BE-FF58-42F2-9646-A9EBBD167C04.jpeg
    This is about how much I cut off. I used a hacksaw blade, then 400, then 600, then 600 wet to smooth it out. It look as long as infinity war to do from start to finish, Including eating lunch.
    697A7202-2BA6-4852-AA92-04889CE69882.jpeg
  13. BRIANPL

BRIANPL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Xbox i have a 2018 slate Aussie carbi model my gear indicator did not work from the day i took the bike from the dealer. they had the bike for a day and told me they would have to order a new dash ,lost faith with dealer after waiting four months for a replacement decided to tackle the first service myself and while the tank was off i wired in a usb charge point to handlebars, disconnected battery for ten minutes when i reconnected it the gear indicator started working again bought the bike last October still waiting on dealer for new dash.:imaposer
  14. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    Mines a 2018 carby.
    Gear 3 doesn't show up for the first 15 minutes after start up then it's all good.
    Having fun with the compass. North is North, south is south, but east is west a d vica versa.
  15. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took a solo ride on the Himma for a little ride near my house yesterday. Paved road soon gave way to rough dirt and mud. For those interested in the Himalayan, this video will give you a good idea how the bike does on really rough roads. My camera is mounted on the helmet. You will notice that when sitting and above 25 mph or so you can hear all the buffeting when sitting, when I stand up all the noise goes away. Very obvious with the mic on the camera.
    Randy, Kiwiscoot, kitkat and 3 others like this.
  16. Ice_German

Ice_German Stoked

Oddometer:
    Alright everyone,
    Looks like I might be in for a battery upgrade.
    Recently moved across the country (TN - NE), turned the key and tried to start it, not enough juice to turn it over.
    Charged it on a tender overnight and now when I turn the key, the dash doesn't even come on.
    Multimeter says there's 6.3V at the battery, and it's been that way for a while, no change. My tender is rated for any 6-12V system, and seems to be functional. I don't have any accessories or draws on the battery either.

I'm a little shocked that the dash doesn't even turn on with 6V at the battery..
    Any ideas?

Also, I saw another REH riding around Omaha, NE yesterday. If anyone knows who it is, let me know!

Cheers.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  17. sdbruns

sdbruns Potemkin villager

Oddometer:
    Here's what I got from the Technical Service and Warranty Administrator North America (based in Dallas) when I emailed RENA about my malfunctioning gear indicator - I ended up disconnecting the battery, checking that all loom connections I'd messed with were properly made, then put it back together and it worked. That was about 2500kms ago and I've had the battery disconnected a few times, checked the valves and all is still well. The gear indicator seems to be hit or miss when the battery is disconnected.

"You can try to disconnect the battery, unplug the sensor itself and also the ECU and let them sit for a bit. Sometimes this reset process fixes the issue. If not you will likely need to have the sensor replaced."

"Behind the engine there are some wires coming up into a rubber boot. The connector is Blue in color. I have attached a picture of the connector. The picture is of a demo carb model but the connector should be in the same place. Please disconnect that blue plug."
    fe2cruz and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  18. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up a pretty darn minty white Himalayan last night for the girlfriend's first bike and drove it about 2 hours straight on the highway for her through some windy / cold / slightly wet weather to bring it home. I've done this same ride on my 2005 R1200GS when I bought it a couple years back (from Vegas as well) and I have to say the Himalayan was surprisingly comfortable on this ride, nearly equal to that GS for me if you'll believe it. Theres no side roads to take between home and Vegas unless you want to spend 5 hours instead of ~2 getting home, so I had to just max it out and tuck in when needed to try and keep up with the 75mph speed limit traffic. The girlfriend was behind me in the sedan running blocker for me just in case :lol3 but it wasn't really needed in the end. Kept up pretty OK on most parts that weren't uphill. I also didn't get buffeted bad with the stock screen even with my Arai XD4 with the peak

Overall first impressions in its arguably least capable environment are pretty good. Even maxing it out like that it still returned right around 60mpg with the crap winds and all. Not bad! Of course, if I was running highway trips like this all the time I'd get a used V-Strom 650 or something.. but still for an all-arounder like this I'm quite shocked :-)
  19. Geschift

Geschift Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the video mate.
    The brilliant weather and those awesome roads; WHAT a lucky guy you must be!
    Bike seems to do allright indeed.
    Appriciate you leaving the “log” bit in the vid, quess we’ve all been in a simular kinda situation haha!
  20. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Yep. As others have reported the OEM battery is crap. I thought I'd give it a chance thinking maybe RE would have started to install better ones at some point, but my 2019 model picked up in Jan wasn't the case. One time leaving it sit for 3 weeks and dead battery was enough.

So I bought a cheap sealed AGM type on Amazon based on recommendation of a Vikingtazz post in Feb this year recommendation of using a search for any year XR650L size, and confirmed the dimensions are correct (thanks Vikingtazz!). I just picked the least expensive one ($21.98 shipped!) and it's worked fine. Unfortunately that particular one is not available any more on Amazon but there are quite a few under $30. This one has good reviews and a 5% off coupon for a shipped price of $28.07
    IMG_0615.jpg
    talmage likes this.