Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Himalayan hillclimber at London's custom Bike Shed Show.

A6A65F74.JPG
  2. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the log in the road!!

I remember watching a youtube video by someone named jeremy rydes (not sure of spelling!) where he and his buddy had to chop their way thru a downfall and the only tool they had was a machete. I made a mental note to myself, carry a buck saw when going off-road like that!

They don't weight anything and can easily strap to the pannier rack!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a few battery tenders and they will not charge a battery if it has been discharged. They require a certain amount of charge in the battery for them to work. I have had to put a battery on a starter/charger unit and put it on start for a few minutes to get enough charge in the battery for the tender to work.
    Davethestick and whysub like this.
  4. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Lot's of trees around here like to fall across roads for some reason! I have watched all the experts take there dirt bikes and just pop wheelies over logs like the one I tried to cross, but the himma or it's owner just doesn't have the juice to do that. :ricky
  5. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found a way to mount my bucksaw behind the pannier rack :-)

I need to replace two bolts for longer ones, but I'm traveling this week so will have to wait until I get back :-(
    Loadtoad101 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  6. xbok

xbok Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.....will try the battery CTRL ALT DELETE method.
    Burcotbiker likes this.
  7. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what tires are you running? Your terrain is pretty much what I experience here too. You seem to have pretty good traction. My guess you're not on the OEM Pirelli MT60's?
  8. Rossco

Rossco Cpt. Blue Coat

Oddometer:
    A 4 months wait time is pretty appalling after buying a new bike. I'm keen to buy a himalayan, but I'm worried about the support from RE Aust.
    azgsa likes this.
  9. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Original tire on front with over 7k miles on it, Shinko 705 in the rear.
  10. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I have a question about stalling. Does your bike do it? Mine does, for the first few minutes I ride it. It idles fine but often when taking off from a stop it will stall for the first few minutes. The only way to avoid this is to let it run for a minute or two before taking off. Am I alone, or does yours do this too? I am trying to get a feel if this is a normal thing or an issue. The idle is about 1100/1200 when cold. It doesn't matter if the bike is hot or cold, it will be touchy and sometimes stall when I give it throttle from a stop, until its been ridden a bit. Mine has 400 miles on it. Thanks for your input!

1) My bike never stalls
    2) My bike used to stall when first ridden, but doesn't now that I have more miles on it
    3) My bike stalls when first ridden but is fine once its been running a few minutes
    4) My bike stalls whenever the mood strikes
  11. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    :deal
    BigCanoe likes this.
  12. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, mine would be 5) My bike stalls upon start up, several times.

I always wait for it to idle on its own before I ride. Doing this, it has not stalled while riding.
    whysub, ScotchmanDR and BigCanoe like this.
  13. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1700mls on it. I guess that's what the cold start lever is for... NGK CR8EIX Iridium plug improved things but idle is still a little low the first 20 or so seconds and i can provoke stalling if i open the throttle ever so slightly. Best approach is to just take off and warm it up quickly. I currently have the evap system disconnected out of curiosity but it does not make any difference.
    fe2cruz and BigCanoe like this.
  14. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't own a fuel injected bike, so I have to go through the old-fashioned routine of pulling the choke and waiting 'til it will run without it before taking off. I don't know how I stand it :lol3
  15. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    That actually sounds good right now lol!
    fe2cruz likes this.
  16. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mines a #3 response as well. I was going to pull the tank today and check for the pinched line just in case since searching through the thread some people said that could have been the cause though.
  17. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    with a pinched line it will stall frequently also when warm.
  18. chArj_Himalayan

chArj_Himalayan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What you mention is what I see on mine, I have almost 6000 miles, it used to be a lot worse when I first got it. The dealer then told me a loose intake boot, recently I took my fuel pump out and found some junk in my tank (Aluminum foil, paint etc.). Drained all fuel, added premium fuel, and star tron, it has been running much better, died only once this morning when coming to a stop.

so as of right now I would my bike in category 3
  19. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea mine had a pinched tube. Would not stay running without throttle, at idle. Dealer fixed that and now it just stalls till its been ridden a while. That seems to be the norm aka #2/#3.
  20. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, we have had it stall mostly from "cold" or "colder" conditions meaning first start of the day whether 55*F or 75*F or even if its turned off for 15 minutes, randomly sometimes when only off 5 mins. If its running constantly theres zero issue but otherwise its wanting to die idling. Being new to me I also dont know what target idle speed is either or why it'd do this. Yesterday morning I did use the choke lever and that seemed to work as I was able to turn it off, restart bike and idle correct and take off but still random little times its like 'ok wtf why' lol

Previous owner said to just start it and crack a little 2500-3000 rpm throttle for 30s and its good but I'd rather get it sorted somehow to run like any other EFI bike
    ScotchmanDR likes this.