Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks right. The cap only covers the top of the plug, not the hex.

As to the top of the plugs, some plug caps use a smooth connector where others use the thread. The top connector of the NGK might unscrew - look at the top and see if you can see threads in the canter of the silver connector.

Regards,

Ken
  2. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks! I must be thinking of my other bike I was working on recently then that sat flush. I didn't quite grasp a mental image before messing with it and hell even if I had my memory is the absolute worst

edit: also it seems this plug has the thread underneath the smooth connector so maybe it'll work fine as others have said but I'd need to somehow twist it off (it has threads?)
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    That should twist right off of the iridium plug. Just grab it with some pliers.

Charles.
  4. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep just figured that out as I posted lol, I'm very much a novice mechanic

edit: all sorted now and swapped
  5. _oh_fug_

_oh_fug_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hows she run with the new plug?
    BigCanoe likes this.
  6. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, glad to see the plug fits. Awaiting your feedback :)
  7. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will get out on it on a proper ride here soon today.. BUT I left it off since I last posted (so ~1h15m) and just went out to start it and it fired up no problems, still stumbling a bit but didn't just die right away like it would have before. Previously if I left it off that long it'd be back to square one so we are getting somewhere for sure just can't comment on how far into somewhere we're getting quite yet lol, need to live with it a few more riding days
  8. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Done :D

Actually its got an FCR with MxRob settings. Runs perfect once warm. I guess it only takes 5 minutes to warm up when its in the 50's. Maybe 3 or 4 when its in the 70's to reach the full stable idle. Normally I hop on and ride it to get it fully warm. However, If I have to stop at an intersection right away and I have already shut the enricher off...it requires some throttle blipping or it will stall.
  9. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    There's a taller screen available on eBay too, 4.1cm instead of 6cm tall (as Hitchcocks is) but the eBay one looks a bit wider. The actual site for it is here.

Hitchcoccks:
    [​IMG]

eBay (Proscreen):
    [​IMG]
    Samizdat and NewEnglandHimalayan like this.
  10. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the windshield that I have I feel that it's an improvement over the OEM screen
    Samizdat and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Hitchcocks or the Proscreen?
  12. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is the pro screen
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    That one looks like it would do the best job of the two to me. I was hoping MRA would make a screen for the Himalayan but I emailed them about a month ago and they said they had no plans for it.
  14. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    So.. WOW! I took the bike on my first real off-road loop type ride today and I am pretty amazed. Something so simple but they got it so right. It feels better than quite possibly any other bike I've owned in stock form mainly due to the suspension. There is some kind of magic in that there suspension.. it doesn't mind me going WOT 2nd or 3rd over washboard / rocky stuff.. or slow crawling and picking lines in first, always feels "right". You can feel the terrain for sure but its never harsh like so many other bikes I've owned in stock form. I was even able to sit if I wanted without my tailbone getting pounded which is a crazy concept indeed compared to other bikes off-road.

If I could somehow sort out the boggy feel through the middle-top of 4th gear and most all of 5th (for road work mainly) this could be my perfect ADV machine, but I don't think any amount of mods will give it more beans in those RPM ranges / gears. Only other small thing is I need some wider rally sized pegs due to having huge calves and big (size 13-14) / slightly wide feet. Confidence inspiring all around though, really impressed.
  15. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:
    He must live in a tough area. Full of a lot of jealous people. I used to ride my bikes to El Paso for work and everyone would ask me if I was concerned about theft. I said that I would get more money from the insurance company than I could sell a bike for and then i could try a different bike. Of course because I had this attitude never lost a bike.
    I just got my 2 month old Varta OEM battery replaced under warranty. The dealer gave me a Yuasa as a replacement. They said 90 days on the battery since it is a wear item.

You can read all about it here. https://www.royalenfieldowners.com/index.php?threads/looks-like-the-battery-may-be-shot.288/
    BigCanoe likes this.
  16. NewEnglandHimalayan

NewEnglandHimalayan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see DynoJet stepping up. Do you have a link to this information? I could not locate it on their website. Thanks
  17. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Edited my original post added link.
    NewEnglandHimalayan likes this.
  18. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone looked into a Uni Filter dual layer pod filter setup for the Himalayan? If not I'll do some research as I'd much prefer a foam element on my air filter change. Should be as simple as taking some measurements. I've only seen K&N replacements referenced and I feel like thats a terrible idea for where I live. https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/clamp-on-air-filters/
  19. NewEnglandHimalayan

NewEnglandHimalayan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  20. ScotchmanDR

ScotchmanDR aka MOTOBEAR

Oddometer:
    Not I... Helmet Gloves THEN start it up. I need 2 hands ready for the Throttle and Bi-starter. If I let go of either it'll stall. 30 seconds later I can leave and after a minute then I am worry free.

I hit 700miles on the Odometer and DO notice better shifting. 5th gear is quite reliable now. But I only recently went out at night because my Jam session ended late - I think I'm gonna drop that headlight a bit... While cruising at 3k-4k rpm the bike "feels" like it's struggling/bogging ever so slightly. If it doesn't go away by end of season then when I go in for a check-up I'll have them check the fuel pump for debris and try an Iridium plug. I would like to see what improves just from breaking in.