Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. captainblack1954

captainblack1954 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also experiencing considerable wind noise at 40 mph and above, despite wearing custom made ear plugs and with mirror risers fitted. I've come to the conclusion that the problem is partly due to rider height (I'm about 6'), and choice of helmet. I'm not so sure that in the case of the Himalyan screen height will make enough of a difference to significantly reduce the problem. My reasons for coming to that conclusion is that standing up to a varying extent makes no real difference.
    My helmet is a fairly new X-lite X1004 flip up and I also find I get quite a lot of wind noise around the top of the helmet when riding my MG Stelvio, but not as bad as when riding the Himalayan.
    I would be interested to know of others choice of helmet, paricularly if they have experience of using different helmets on the Himalayan.

Having said all that I might try a taller screen, but tend to think that a different helmet is what I need.
    Samizdat likes this.
  2. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:

I have no wind noise with my contour foam ear plugs in. I need to have helmets with a lot of venting here in the deep south humidity so "quiet" helmets are out of the question.
    NewEnglandHimalayan likes this.
  3. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Then start the bike, hold the lever then throw your gear on. More warm up the better.
    Lefthand Hawk likes this.
  4. dmusil

dmusil n00b

Oddometer:
    I did not wear ear plugs for many years.(I do now)Too late. What? What did you say. Hearing aids now.
  5. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am running one, the dual filter one. Only been on a week and I've been away for most of the week, so haven't had time to try on the open road.
  6. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    NICE! Uni Filter USA hasn't been responding to me so I have been spinning my wheels. Do you know the model number that fit? They all seemed a little off from the spec sheets I was looking at
  7. Kiwiscoot

Oddometer:
    I use the Uni UP-6200ST . It fits the airbox perfectly. I am only half way into the first tank of fuel with it, but it looks like the bike is a bit lighter on fuel, but then I have a carburetted model and I have made the fueling a little richer by lifting the main needle to improve mid range power.
    Did a 60 km trip today with the bike ticking over 10 000kms :Dand it felt all good.
  8. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if Brian (Loghousebikers) ever got his motorcycle repaired? The one that broke down just south of the border in Mexico?
  9. chArj_Himalayan

chArj_Himalayan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha yes, that is what I am trying to avoid! I have only recently started doing this and notice a huge difference, for me it adds to the pleasure of riding, I feel less tired and can focus better, therefore, ride farther without my head exploding haha, for short rides (less than a 2 mile ride within town at low speeds, I don't bother as much)
    NewEnglandHimalayan likes this.
  10. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. BajaCoyote

BajaCoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats the diameter of the inlet? Just to be sure.
  12. Kiwiscoot

Oddometer:
    BajaCoyote likes this.
  13. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just remember that the filter is now flowing backwards from design (inside to the outside). The air will flow through the main filter (fine) and then through the dust filter (coarse). When I originally designed a filter for the stock airbox, I had to reverse the media so it would filter progressively from coarse to fine. I've since built a new airbox that flows in the normal direction (outside to inside) with air feeds coming from the top of the box to keep things drier during water crossings.

Regards,

Ken
  14. Kiwiscoot

Oddometer:
    Yes I am aware of that. Also using it like this the surface area is greatly reduced in comparison with the OEM filter. Luckily my riding does not have dust, but in dusty conditions I'd be inclined to clean it every 2000 to 3000 kms.
  15. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that too. Probably why UNI hasn't made a filter for it. Not sure how they would. I reckon at only $17 shipped from India (on eBay) the OEM paper will have to do when it's time to replace.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wondered about this too...send him a PM
  17. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did, no answer! Sure would like to know if RENA stepped up and fixed the bike or what?
  18. BajaCoyote

BajaCoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Kiwiscoot

Oddometer:
    It did feel like it had more pep from the get go, however more testing is needed. Sofar it looks like it is lighter on fuel, which I hope for. Unfortunately winter set in yesterday, so no riding until this blast settles down later next week.
  20. Dune Pounder

Dune Pounder n00b

Oddometer:
    I finally took the plunge after MONTHS of convincing my wife that a bike is necessary for my mental health and general well-being of our marriage research and hand-wringing. I just clicked on the bank transfer button to buy my Himalayan! :rayof

I've been lurking in here reading about all the issues, non-issues and adventures everyone is having. Thank you for being an important part of my decision making!
    feline, AZ Mtn Girl, whysub and 10 others like this.