Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. JustMikey

JustMikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picking up my black hima within the next couple of hours. It only took well over two months to get here! The wait is over!
  2. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats interesting with the air filter, didn't think of that. So you're saying that technically a thicker single layer Uni would be better then?
  3. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1709872 View attachment 1709871 View attachment 1709870 Chain and sprockets, chain and sprockets.... after 12,000 miles my chain is pretty much done. What have you all replaced the chains with when you have needed replacement. The EBay kits from India are fairly inexpensive and if it’s the same as the factory ones they seem to last a half decent amount of time. Might have lasted longer but I ran out of chain lube and went aways on my trip without servicing the chain.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a hima, but I really like the "Factory Spec" x-ring chains. They last a good long time and are a very budget friendly option.

Charles.
    MrDralas likes this.
  5. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Like the eBay ones? That’s what I’m leaning towards. Budget friendly on a budget bike is a good thing. I might get s cleansing brush to carry with me on my next trip, petrol and a rag didn’t quite cut it as cleaning tools to seems.
  6. BajaCoyote

BajaCoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this normal guys? Oil on the upper part of the plug. The business end seems dry. Could it be oil seepage from the gasket? 15594102698151913295731.jpg 1559410386519817059779.jpg
  7. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    This is what my plug looked liked after 7k miles.

Was there any oil on the engine around where the plug goes in? How many km on the bike? Mine used a little bit of oil while breaking in but I don’t remember if there was any on the plug.

Attached Files:

8. NewEnglandHimalayan

NewEnglandHimalayan Adventurer

Oddometer:

The buzzing you hear might be the ABS. I have heard it in my bike as well and it is definitely electric and not the pads. I don't think it is a problem. My bike brakes very well using the front brake.

The compass, who knows. I just arrived from riding my bike which has had the compass in calibration mode since I bought it new on Tuesday. I did several figure 8 maneuvers to no avail. Im not concerned by it though.

I only have 109 miles on mine and I don't need the idle lever engaged for it to stay on when I start it cold. I actually start the engine, get my helmet and gear on, hop on the bike and take off without issues.

My only gripe with the bike is the mirrors and the foot pegs that I find a little too tall and I feel cramped. I will look into the taller seat concepts seat to see if that helps.

Ride on!
  9. BajaCoyote

BajaCoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes there was some oil, you can actually see in it the pic. found oil On the plug washer, just outside the hole, and on the mid to lower seccion of the plug's thread (the darker part is oil), mid to upper end no oil. Miles are 1650.
    By the way, the new iridium plug made a difference. Smoother idle, better revving engine and more power? Sure felt like it. Nice for 10 bucks. This engines needs all the help it can get.
    Such and easy upgrade makes me think this engine has some HP waiting to be liberated. Imagine losing exhaust traps and installing Uni filter. Was all this HP killing done deliberately by RE?
  10. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I meant on the engine like this. AAEFD28A-8887-411F-B429-857E2352B740.jpeg
    Leaking from the valve cover, it won’t let me zoom In on your photos they just end up super blurry.

I’d clean it of and check it again after so many miles to see if it keeps coming back. That’s all the service Center would do, then try to see where it might be coming from.
    It could be rings, valve seals/guides, or just there for some reason, first time you’ve pulled the plug to look at it? Does the bike consume oil?
  11. BajaCoyote

BajaCoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine has what I think is mild seepage from the head gasket, but now I wonder what's going on inside, seepage or worse into the chamber.going to keep an eye on all that as you say. Just hope it's not rings or seals. Funny, your seepage is above the plug on the valve cover, mine is below, on head/cylinder union.
  12. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Pressure goes from high to low areas. So the oil would leak from oil galley to less then oil pressure areas outside engine for example. I guess it could leak on the intake stroke, but if the leak was that bad it you would also be getting combustion pressures in to your oil passages....which would make for a unhappy engine very quickly.
    Seep from where the 2 8mm bolts are? If so I think that’s where the chain runs so it wouldn’t be a pressured area and just snugging those bolts a very, very minor amount should stop it. Mine was weeping there and it fixed it, on the Facebook pages in India they talk about longer replacement bolts. But for your plug I would clean it and monitor it, if it gets comes back and gets worse you have warranty. Just make sure you clean the threads in the head off as well, if not your plug will always look oily.
  13. JustMikey

JustMikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is here!!!

Attached Files:

14. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Very nice, very nice.
    So clean and the new ones have abs? Umm interesting.

Edit**
    Oh your not from the USA oops.
    JustMikey likes this.
  15. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Granite color goes like a bullet. :beer
    JustMikey likes this.
  16. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:
    The manual says not to use petrol to clean the chain. Or Kerosene.
  17. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    It does yes, but when you not near anything, something is better then leavening it full of mid and sand id think.
    Besides it would make the orings swell not metal stretch, orings are ok...the links stretched.
  18. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plug is normal. Combustion byproducts. Put some antisieze on the new one.
  19. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it stored in a climate controlled area? On my bike if its like 75-80*F or higher outside and its been sitting in the sun mines fine with stock spark plug, otherwise it needs the lever for a little while

Also are the stock chains on these O-Ring? I thought it was standard non ringed
    NewEnglandHimalayan likes this.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    When mine was new it needed some "choke" to start then less and less as it broke in. After that it only needs it when temps are in the 40's. Front brakes have buzzed since day one. I think it's some rotor vent hole thing. 2018 non ABS.

Sounds are a funny thing on bike, they can come from one place but sound like they're coming from somewhere else. You might could try shooting some dry lube in the kick stand pivot and spring hooks.