Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    They come with O- Ring chains as standard.
  2. NewEnglandHimalayan

NewEnglandHimalayan Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. whysub

whysub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an MZ660 Skorpion that started to rattle at the top end of the engine under hard acceleration. Turned out the rubber strip on top of the swing arm was worm out and allowed the chain to "kiss" the swing arm when accelerating. New rubber strip bike as quiet as a sewing machine.
  4. flatland964

flatland964 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi. Can someone who has used the Motion Pro tool for valve adjustments, or otherwise happens to know, tell me whether the Himalayan has a 3mm or 4mm square for the adjuster? I had the bike open and recall that the locknut is 10mm and that the adjuster is the square type, but I didn't measure the square. Motion Pro sells a 10mm tool with either a 3mm or 4mm square adjusters. I could buy the variety kit for more but was looking to get just what I need. If someone knows for certain, you can save me the trouble of opening up again before ordering the tool.
    Thanks!

NEVER MIND - found in this thread that it is 3mm, but also that the tool has some trouble fitting on the intake side. Don't know why I didn't see those in my first search. If anyone has any other thoughts on the Motion Pro tools or other tools for this job, please let me know. Thanks again!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. azccj

azccj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these sets to do the valves, https://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-Motorcy...410836?hash=item4b61814c54:g:0bgAAOSwWk5cno6R . You can find them cheap on eBay from China.
  6. JustMikey

JustMikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First Bike Ive owned that wont let me stop to take pictures. I just want to keep going!
  7. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I think it was Mr. Dralas that made a valve adjuster using a square drive deck screw and a piece of mahogany for the handle. Light, strong effective and affordable.

Added: It was treebone did the the valve tool inventing. My bad.
    NewEnglandHimalayan likes this.
  8. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Nope not me, sounds like something I would do though.
    #2 Robertson is what I think the screw used was. I have the Enfield tool, cause it got it with the bike..... it works well enough but isn’t super great.
  9. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picture of my simple adjusting tools. The deck screw can be found at your local hardware or lumber yard.

Drill a small hole in a piece of hardwood, Super Glue will hold it fine if the hole in the wood is a close fit, but it is not rocket science.

Grind off the excess and Bob's your uncle.

Cheap feeler gauge can be bent to suit.

10mm wrench completes the set.

Remember, this is a machine primarily for use in 3rd world countries, keep it simple and improvise!!

DSCF3223.jpg
  10. flatland964

flatland964 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, you are right. I like tools so sometimes I get carried away. I have done valve checks and adjustments many times on other bikes without such a tool. Yesterday I opened up the Himmi for the first time and just got a little stymied but he intake valve check. I have three sets of feeler gauges collected over the years, including a bent set, and personally I could not work any of them into the intake side. It looks like Motion Pro gauge should work better so I am going to order that one. Worth the $5. But I don't need the adjustment tool. Particularly since I am planning a trip of over 4k miles, mostly off pavement, later this summer. It would be good to put together a simple kit I can carry.
  11. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Can I choose the Bob?
    AGF-l7_IPKJORqk1Wo7AR4jMhW15Ma-za_QDlRxMcQ=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no[1].jpg rs-174971-79172884[1].jpg 66188-004-D8C60E33[1].jpg
    Grek and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  12. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Barbers motorsports vintage festival tickets go on sale June 11 camping spots will sell out fast. Who plans to attend
  13. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is a leak like that covered under warranty?
  14. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, it would be. But I can’t really be without the bike for any amount of time. So it’ll leak till I buy a second vehicle or I spend a afternoon and fix it myself, maybe retorque the head. It’s weird that it isn’t part of the service interval when it is on most other aircooled stuff I’ve worked on.
    tastroman likes this.
  15. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:

I feel like mine is starting to leak from the same spot at 1600 miles.
  16. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Mines been weeping since around 1000 miles. It’s at 12000 miles now, that’s all that’s showed up so far so I’m not overly worried about it. I’ve never washed the bike yet so the amount you see is the full amount that’s seeped out, which isn’t enough to be broke up about yet.
    tastroman and Bradster49 like this.
  17. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3mm.

Bend a square drive wood screw or deck screw to make the wrench.

If you don’t have any and need to buy them, buy a few as they are hardened and can break when you try to bend them. One broke on me while bending so bend slowly and don’t try for a sharp angle!

I’ll probably weld a T handle on a screw head for next time.

I honestly don’t know how a bigger tool would fit in there.

It needs to be minimal in size, and don’t drop it in there!!
    NewEnglandHimalayan likes this.
  18. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was doing some research and I see now why I like the ergos of the Himalayan so much off road. It has around 1.5 to 2 more inches of ground clearance and suspension than it should have with its seat height compared to any other bike I can find on the market right now. Funnily enough the chassis looks super simple so why didn't any other manufacturer do this before.. I can't see any downsides?
  19. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make me one pretty please? :lol3
  20. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to adjust my valves with an open end wrench, feeler gauge and needle nose pliers. I had to get the Harbor Freight gauges since none of my other 3 had the right thickness. With a 20% off coupon and the coupon for a free LED light, I was all set.