Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    did that dealer ever get the dyno ran?
  2. Lobo 7

Lobo 7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok here is the link to the video, hopefully this works:

My sound does happen at idle also, let me know if it is the same sound you’re experiencing.
  3. Leyprest

Leyprest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My sound is similar to mine, but mine only appears when riding and above 3000rpm. Yours sounds to me like the valves/tappets need setting correctly.
    NewEnglandHimalayan likes this.
  4. Leyprest

Leyprest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good solid advice. That's my next plan of action. It'll have to wait a couple of weeks until I'm off work though, as the Himalayan is my daily ride.
  5. Leyprest

Leyprest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good thinking Ken. Although I've already checked the exhaust and AI. Everything seems fine in those departments. Current plan of action is to check the valve clearances when I'm off work in a couple of weeks and take it from there.
  6. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd definitely check the valves, failing that I'd imagine its cam chain tension or rocker arm noise which either I'd go to dealer for diagnosis for since warranty should cover that completely
  7. JustMikey

JustMikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll ask when i go in for my first service. Wich is hopefully within two weeks.
    justinope likes this.
  8. Eytan

Eytan n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any suggestions of front bags or saddle bags for the Himalayan? I was going to get the panniers and aluminum side crates but $800 all in all seems like a bit much
  9. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    There's plenty of content on this thread just look back through or use the search function for front bags. :-)
    NewEnglandHimalayan likes this.
  10. FloydNY

FloydNY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ordered panniers from ebay, seller from india. with shipping the price was less than $600 (and i was able to get the black ones)
  11. JustMikey

JustMikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lomo crash guard dry bags. Cheap as chips but great quality. 20190605_104356.jpg
    Leyprest, whysub and Flicka like this.
  12. NewEnglandHimalayan

NewEnglandHimalayan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That definitely could be tappets but I have to say, the high pitch has me wondering if your spark plug wire is arcing to the block. It does not seem to skip so it is doubtful. However, I would expect a valve train tick to be a bit more muted. That one is fairly bright. Good luck.
  13. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one. It’s identical to my oem seat except it has the RE logo in the fabric.
    Dune Pounder likes this.
  14. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope its at least more comfy!
    Samizdat likes this.
  15. brghtboi

brghtboi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    kitkat.... I agree that all maintenance should be done by the rider. However, in order for RE to honor the warranty they compel us to get our regular service intervals, as documented in the manual.

I bit of an update today. The shop called me to tell me that the bike is still having the idle issue but that it's not likely caused by the supposed crank nut issue. I did talk to them about the evap issue and they said they checked that too. Now, the check engine light is on and the engine will run bit as soon as you back off the throttle the engine dies. So, they called RE and are taking the bike to another service center in order for them to evaluate the error codes.... They said it's all at there expense and that I'll only be charged for the initial service they quoted me. Unfortunately it's going to take a week to get my bike back.

Not sure what the deal is but as long as I get my bike back with it's first service completed and it doesn't cost me any more, I guess I'm good with it.

Thanks,
  16. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, sounds like mine.
    It is an air cooled engine, so no water jacket to deaden mechanical noise. You can tighten the valve lash and it will be nice and quiet, especially when the valves burn, then it will be silent...
    As an inmate stated in a complaint about the mechanical racket in a Yamaha Super Tenere, "it sounds like two skeletons fornicating in a steel ash can"
    I solved the problem with ear plugs.
    Samizdat and fe2cruz like this.
  17. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing, I was wondering how the hell these guys are hearing all these sounds that I can't hear? Course, my wife says that I am deaf, probably from spending 5000 hrs on large cargo jets during my military career. But that engine does sound like mine.
  18. Lobo 7

Lobo 7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is what I was hoping to hear, and what I would like to do (ear plugs- not worry about it). Somebody over on the Facebook group just said “Tappet setting needed badly, get it done immediately”. Planning on a 500-600 mile weekend of riding starting early tomorrow, just want to make the wise decision haha
  19. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same!
  20. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad it’s getting sorted out by RE.

Many of us are doing our own service and documenting it.

I have a binder and use one clear sleeve per service, and stuff all the receipts and notes in it.

The dealer I got mine from is 2.5 hrs away so I don’t really have a choice, besides, it forces me to learn the mechanics of the bike!
    whysub and Eatmore Mudd like this.