Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really pissed off today. Was checking the bolts to my front end, triple tree etc. Put an allen wrench to one of the bolts on the lower triple tree, just my hand and went to turn it to make sure it was tight and :hair Frigging thing broke off.
    IMG_20190618_142745269.jpg IMG_20190618_142759646.jpg
    Knuckle heads at factory torqued the bolt down so much they cracked it. So, I had to tear the whole front end apart and take the triple tree to a machine shop to have the bolt removed. Good new was there was a ton of grease on the bearings. :D
  2. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeez, thats sucks, stuff like that makes me wish the warranty was more like CSC's where they will reimburse you for work done acknowledging not everyone is close to a dealer
  3. johnny42

johnny42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drove to Athens, Ohio for 4 nights to do the Windy 9 last week. I did this on my Goldwing, but virtually every side road off the Windy 9 routes were gravel/dirt. My Garmin somehow took me off the main roads onto some of these gravel roads and it was truly an "adventure". No way I could make any sort of U-turn or turn around and it was a bit hairy. But, I salivated at the thought of being here on my Himalayan and exploring these backroads. It's quite hilly around there so some of the roads are in the valleys and some are on the ridges. We have nothing like this in Western NY and I'm envious at all of you that have these kinds of roads in your backyard.
    whysub and Rich B like this.
  4. ADV_RYDER

ADV_RYDER n00b

Oddometer:
    “Add Hazard Lights on Himalayan”

Hi Folks,

Check this how-to video to activate the Hazard/warning blinkers on Himalayan without any additional electronic accessory. Just using two wires and a on-off switch.

Hope u all like this simple yet useful mod

5. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally caught my girlfriend getting home in time to make a video on my phone before dark. So heres a clip of the Delkevic full exhaust w/ baffle in!

Ice_German, Ginger Beard and 47025 like this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    If you file a claim first then take it to a shop it's covered. RENA knows not everyone lives near a dealer.
    justinope and Richarde1605 like this.
  7. bilge rat

bilge rat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well I have a Hima and am heading off for five days in the scrub. Sunshine coast to Kroombit n back. What's happened to you other aussie blokes on here, locals hiding?
  8. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bazinga!
  9. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    What does, "File a claim first", mean? I would like to do that. Then take it to a shop? Does that mean take the receipt to the dealer?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, that’s correct. Leyprest beat me to it.

Exactly as I was talking about.

I guess that’s the problem with YouTube mechanics or the internet in general. Anyone can post what they want and call themselves an expert, if you don’t know enough that their wrong it’s a very sketchy way to do some stuff.

Mine had red lock tight on them, your supposed to heat them up before loosing them. I’ve seen bolts torqued properly with red lock tight break due to the red lock tight not letting go. Not saying this is the case here, just something to keep in mind.
    whysub, fe2cruz and Kiwiscoot like this.
  11. 47025

47025 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dodging thunder storms today. I timed it just right. Rode down to the mighty Ohio river. It is real high from all the rain.

DSCF1731.JPG DSCF1732.JPG
  12. brghtboi

brghtboi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The saga continues.... The Himalayan went to the dealer, sent by the shop who was supposed to do the service. The dealer now tells me that the shop tightened down the valves so much that the spark plug cracked and that's why it was having idling problems. So, maybe that answers that. However, I had some parts (handlebars with brace, brace pad, grips, bar end weights, etc..) that were ordered through the dealership that they still needed to install. I also asked for a full inspection because I don't trust what the other shop did. While looking at the bike in the parking lot the tech said he noticed some seeping of the head gasket. I said that's how I got it from them after they fixed whatever the other shop had done. The guy asked if synthetic oil was used when the oil was changed. I said it was... he said "that's the problem". So, he said they'd fix that under warranty. The right pannier rack was also manufactured wrong so that you can't get the right pannier off. They said they'd fix that as well... I asked when the bike would be done and ready to go. Told them I have a four day trip through the Colorado Rockies... mostly single track but some highway and fire roads. The guy said it'd be done the same day. When I called late in the day they said it wasn't quite done but would be done by noon today. Today they called and said that actually they couldn't get the necessary gaskets and that they would take four weeks to come in. Wanted to know if I wanted to pick the bike up and ride it in the meantime. Also said they think the pannier rack was bent by the bike being strapped down too hard. However, I reported the problem three days after purchasing the bike... even sent pictures. Oh... the accessories I ordered to be put on... yeah, the brace pad doesn't fit, the grips are the same ones on the bike now and the bark busters can't be used because of the brace across the new bars....

So... not a lot of luck with the Himalayan so far, maybe I should say, not a lot of luck getting support for the Himalayan? I never should have messed with it.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Call the toll free number ( it's in this thread ( one of us can search it later and iirc on RENAs website too) and tell the warranty person what's up, they'll do their thing and tell you take it to your shop and get back with RENA when it's done. If it's small potatoes thing and you want to do it yourself they don't have any heartburn mailing you parts.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. JoeyD-SLO

JoeyD-SLO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The viscosity of synthetic and non synthetic are bound by the same standards. Advantages of synthetic inherently falsify that whole "synthetic is thinner than non-syn oil"
    If your car leaks oil then it leaks oil, synthetic isn't going to change the quantity lost. It's an old wives tail.

Just wanted to point that out since brghtboi mentioned the dealer said it.

Mine is leaking as well from the rear tensioner bracket-gasket (I think that's what that is). Will probably replace it myself because I just really don't want to deal with leaving it at the dealer.
  15. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Well, I sent an email to RENA telling them about my issues with the bolt breaking off and having to send the triple tree to a machine shop. Haven't got the part back, hoping the machine shop can get the bolt out. RENA replied and said basically, Hope you don't have any more problems, if you do take it to the dealer. Guess they are not going to do anything for me. I will call the toll free number on Friday when I have time. If I had taken it into the dealer, they would have had to tear the bike apart and sent it out to have the bolt drilled out. I don't think the dealer is equipped for that type of thing. I'll probably have to eat the cost of fixing my bike.
    On another note, we never did find out what happened to Brian out in AZ who's bike blew up. He's dropped off the radar, don't even know if he has the bike anymore? Wonder if he ever got his bike fixed?
  16. brghtboi

brghtboi Adventurer

Oddometer:

JoeyD-SLO... I did mention what you've also mentioned about standards. The tech basically said that each country that produces synthetic oil has it's own standards and that RE bikes leak when using most synthetics. That perhaps if we were using an Indian synthetic oil it may not leak. The dealership said it found this out only after selling the Himalayan's and having a ton come back with seeping after owners changed their own oil using a synthetic. Once they flushed the synthetic out and replaced it with standard oil the seeping stopped. So... they are saying they are speaking from experience...

Regards,
  17. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am hoping you misunderstood the dealer. There is absolutely no way doing anything with the valve adjustment would crack a spark plug. Either this new dealer is a complete idiot, or you maybe misheard that they over-tightened the spark plug and it cracked.

If its an overtightened spark plug, NEVER go back to the original mechanic. That is wrenching 101. You are lucky they didn't strip the head.

This bike is pretty simple. If you have any interest in learning to do maintenance at all, I encourage you to learn with the help of youtube and others on this forum. So many hacks out there these days that still think they can charge $100/hr for lousy service that does more harm than good.
  18. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    The wife’s tale came about because of people with high mileage vehicles that had a bunch of gunk sealing them up switching to synthetic with more detergents in them washing the gunk away and then they leak.
    You are correct if it leaks, it has a leak. Mine was seeping from the head gasket around the first service mark but loose bolts be loose bolts, I wonder if they have enough heat cycles around the first service for the chain side of the gasket to start weeping? I know there’s a bulletin for bolt replacements on that side in India, maybe RENA is a little behind the ball on it? Im surprised they don’t have dealers submitting QMR’s and coming up with fixes quicker.

What handle bars do you have? I have the RE alloy bars and I am using barkbusters. I had to raise my bars 7/8 inch though as they touched the dash.

Your head gasket weep/seep/leak, is it on the opposite side as the spark plug is? If so the gasket is probably fine and the 2 8mm head bolts are most likely to be a touch loose.
    Eatmore Mudd and Bojer like this.
  19. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running synthetic in my bike (after a thorough break-in) and have no issues.

I am curious about the comment that they have had a ton of Himalayans come back after the owners changed to synthetic. How many owners are out there that are 1) changing their own oil over to synthetic and then 2) bringing it to the dealership telling they used synthetic and it now leaks so please fix it? Is this dealership that popular that everyone in the US takes their bike there for service? Something just doesn't add up.

If the engine is leaking oil, it is the seal, sealant, gasket or surface finish that is the issue, not the oil. I have been working on Italian superbikes for over 20 years never had issues with oil causing a leak.

Regards,

Ken
  20. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel like I need to know which dealers have been involved in your problems @brghtboi so if I am ever travelling through Colorado I know where not to stop!

But really though man I'm sorry you are getting the run around from dealer to dealer. FWIW, the guy I bought mine from had just recently left the service manager position at a RE dealer and he said the overwhelming majority of the now selling all these new RE bikes are completely new to the brand.. just picking them up for the Himalayan's release. So that translates to the majority of the dealer network being behind the 8 ball on our bikes as you are unfortunately experiencing. In his own dealership (which was very sizable in the region) he said he only had 1 mechanic who he really felt knew the bikes well and trusted to do the first services on them, and he specifically assigned those appointments as such. All of that being said, and as others have said, the beauty of these bikes is that they are not complex.. so its still not an excuse for any dealer worth a damn to hide behind.

I just hope the service manual the dealers have is better than the one we have in circulation, I can't make out a single picture in that POS and its all geared towards "disassembly" rather than specific jobs like most service manuals are. Pretty odd.